spc
uniqs

shads1
@cox.net

shads1 to tim92078

Anon

to tim92078

Re: [CATV] Plus Package HD Channels & CableCARD

Why should cox take ownership of a problem with someone elses product? You said it is a tivo problem, cox is obviously supporting the cablecard or it wouldn't be working in the non-tivo devices, I think your directing your anger towards cox when the problem lies with the tivo not working as it should, it is not cox's responsibility to fix tivo's problems, thats like blaming the power co because your light switch doesn't work anymore
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength - concurrently with their attempting to authorize the additional channels. I believe they'd have taken it seriously if I had a couple of their crap boxes and not TiVos.

I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by tim92078:

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength - concurrently with their attempting to authorize the additional channels. I believe they'd have taken it seriously if I had a couple of their crap boxes and not TiVos.

I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding.

start a new thread
tim92078
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

said by ajwees41:

start a new thread

No thanks, the response is here...

"I don't know whose problem it is or who to believe really. Its new territory - channel above 860 mhz with h.264 encoding."

Both Cox and TiVo are pretty much unresponsive, and signal strength was one of the red herrings thrown out there by Cox in the get-the-guy-with-customer-owned-equipment-to-just-go-away phase of Not Troubleshooting.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

how would the answer be here this is about the plus channels not signal strength

I'm seriously upset with Cox for not fixing an underlying problem that I was having with signal strength

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Having good signals becomes very important due to the high frequency of the channels which are mostly in the 900MHz range.

Cox has been testing the channels in AZ since November, Common sense would seem to dictate that part of that testing should have included Retail CableCARD devices. Cox is at fault here for not ensuring compatibility at launch.

Testing MPEG4 (H.264) delivery of linear channels in Cox's largest market was probably not the best decision either.

shads1
@cox.net

shads1

Anon

I agree with the good signals part but

IMHO common sense would dictate that each manufacturer should test their own equipment for compatibility before selling the box and telling its customers that it will work

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Would that be CableLabs Certification?
tim92078
San Marcos, CA

tim92078 to ajwees41

to ajwees41
It's a red herring from Cox because getting the authorization really has more to do with the FDC signal strength. Signal strength in the 860mhz+ range just controls whether the channel renders at all.

Meanwhile there has been no communication from Cox or TiVo about the issue.

Realistically I've spent more hours fighting it than I'll be spending watching content on those channels, and I'm not going to debate whether I should be opening another thread with someone who doesn't even use TiVo or cablecards directly.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

well if you get the other channels except the Trio added ones the FDC signal strength would seem like it's fine

and do you really think cox will say if it should work? they want the extra money they plus package brings in.
tim92078
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

So far no update from Cox, unsurprisingly.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

a reply to my post on there facebook page says they require Trio and the whole home dvr to get the extra hd channels.

I can't believe cox is holding HD channels from customers even though we pay for the SD versions.
Like · · 14 hours ago ·

Cox Communications Sorry Andrew, but like we've told you in the past, there's MUCH more that goes into all that than just the hardware requirements. At this point, only the Cisco boxes with the Trio software will work. Thanks
tim92078
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

They're full of crap, the channels all work on the HD HomeRun.. .just not on TiVo.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

I know that