uniqs
share rss forum feed

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL
reply to voipnpots

Re: [Business] Comcast Business Class website overhaul today!

said by voipnpots:

It's down for me as well. BTW, I live in Pembroke Pines - I love going to the Boca Town Center mall!

It is an interesting mall, I like pretending I am gonna walk in the Tiffany store with my kids and watching the security guard move in front of the door.
--
--

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
reply to wapu
It finally loaded and I hit the back button on my mouse. lol, now I will wait again.
--
--

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

1 edit
Does Verizon offer FiOS business service at the location?

Also, I've seen a bunch of things change (colors, etc.) on the Business Class website for a while, and all of a sudden there's a new home page today. So I would assume that the reliability issues are due to that and the fact that a third party is hosting their site...

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
said by voipnpots:

Does Verizon offer FiOS business service at the location?

No, I am looking for a location in Deerfield Beach. I just need a ton of bandwidth to augment a Metro-E connection. I will allow phones/Ipads/Kindles/ other bandwidth hogs and visitors to connect to the comcast connection and keep the metro-E for my Site to Site VPN and email.
--
--

voipnpots

USA
Cool,

Someone recently posted a speedtest.net result on YouTube from a Comcast Ethernet connection, and the results are unbelievable.

Take a look:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqlBBfAUvik

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to NetFixer

Re: Comcast just overhauled their Business Class website!

said by NetFixer:

No, I suspect that someone in Comcast management has a vested interest in using those third party sites to display content. Some people (and companies) never learn (or simply do not care), that using such off-site material exposes them (and their customers) to much greater risk than doing their own coding and content production (or at least hosting it on their own site).

I know what you mean I know a company that once had google adsense and analytics and some add in to get the time on the internal intranet

So unless you disabled the mixed content message in IE you'd always get it because although the site was secured via ssl the google parts weren't

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to voipnpots

Re: [Business] Comcast Business Class website overhaul today!

said by voipnpots:

Cool,

Someone recently posted a speedtest.net result on YouTube from a Comcast Ethernet connection, and the results are unbelievable.

Take a look:

(youtube clip)

Someone may have indeed posted such a speed test clip, but the clip you posted does not appear to be that clip.

The title of your clip is "Comcast Xfinity Speed Test on Docsis 3 Modem with 100mbs package business class". That is just the current highest speed tier available over standard HFC cable service (and the user appears to have upstream bonding, which is not yet widely available), it is not Metro Ethernet.

Metro Ethernet is a direct fiber connection to the premise, and it is nowhere near as cheap as Comcast's CATV HSI service. If you are an enterprise grade business, and need the bandwidth, it is still usually a bargain compared to what the same bandwidth would cost from a telco, but I suspect that most here in this forum would have heart failure if they were quoted what a symmetrical 100 mbps Metro Ethernet circuit would cost.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by NetFixer:

said by voipnpots:

Cool,

Take a look:

(youtube clip)

Someone may have indeed posted such a speed test clip, but the clip you posted does not appear to be that clip.

The title of your clip is "Comcast Xfinity Speed Test on Docsis 3 Modem with 100mbs package business class". That is just the current highest speed tier available over standard HFC cable service (and the user appears to have upstream bonding, which is not yet widely available), it is not Metro Ethernet.

Metro Ethernet is a direct fiber connection to the premise, and it is nowhere near as cheap as Comcast's CATV HSI service. If you are an enterprise grade business, and need the bandwidth, it is still usually a bargain compared to what the same bandwidth would cost from a telco, but I suspect that most here in this forum would have heart failure if they were quoted what a symmetrical 100 mbps Metro Ethernet circuit would cost.

Did you watch that video?
the speed test showed over 100mbps upstream
iirc(105/108)

voipnpots

USA
reply to NetFixer
Oh, I assumed it was Ethernet because of the upload speed, and because there was a comment by someone under the video that said it was Metro Ethernet.

I've noticed that Comcast doesn't take priority in making their upload speeds faster. Like you said, the upstream bonding seems to be very rare.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by voipnpots:

Oh, I assumed it was Ethernet because of the upload speed, and because there was a comment by someone under the video that said it was Metro Ethernet.

I've noticed that Comcast doesn't take priority in making their upload speeds faster. Like you said, the upstream bonding seems to be very rare.

And I doubt that they'll allow upstream powerboost to hit over 100mbps

voipnpots

USA
I don't think they offer Powerboost at all on their higher tiers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
sometimes I've heard of it just being on but etherway they don't have a D3 plan with 100up

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by DarkLogix:

sometimes I've heard of it just being on but etherway they don't have a D3 plan with 100up

No, not yet, but when upstream bonding was being tested here, I would regularly see upstream speed test results (especially on the Comcast speed test site) that would hover around 70-80 mbps (and I only had three bonded upstream channels during that test period. I think that is why they terminated the testing here, they were having problems regulating the upstream speeds.

The YouTube video may have indeed been a Metro Ethernet test (despite its label), but the only way to know would have been something that transferred a lot more data than the Comcast speed test site to see what the sustained rate was.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

voipnpots

USA
Why can't the Ethernet speeds be achieved using coax? Doesn't coax go up to 10GBPS?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
each upstream channel is only (iirc) 30mbps
the latest modems only do 4 upstream channels, so thats only 120mbps, and they aren't likely to sell someone that moch of the shared bandwidth

if they ditsh the crappy TV service then sure they could get more out of it

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to voipnpots
said by voipnpots:

Why can't the Ethernet speeds be achieved using coax? Doesn't coax go up to 10GBPS?

It has nothing to do with the physical media. The speeds over a CATV HFC network are determined by the number of TV channels that are available for data, and by the DOCSIS standards. Metro Ethernet does not have those limitations since it is designed for data service.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
reply to voipnpots
I was able to get the number and call in for pricing.

We are up for a site survey next and should have have service before too long.

As for Metro-E, our 10/10 Metro-E is through AT&T and runs about 4 and 1/2 times the cost of what the 50/10 Comcast connection is gonna run us. But the Metro-E is part of a bigger communications agreement that I inherited.
--
--

voipnpots

USA

1 edit
reply to NetFixer
So there can't be a direct fiber-to-coax connection that bypasses Docsis standards?

quote:
As for Metro-E, our 10/10 Metro-E is through AT&T and runs about 4 and 1/2 times the cost of what the 50/10 Comcast connection is gonna run us. But the Metro-E is part of a bigger communications agreement that I inherited.

The AT&T Metro-E may be more reliable considering it's dedicated, but it is sure not worth the money.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

each upstream channel is only (iirc) 30mbps
the latest modems only do 4 upstream channels, so thats only 120mbps, and they aren't likely to sell someone that moch of the shared bandwidth

No, not normally, and certainly not for residential service. However, once they get the kinks out of upstream bonding, I could see Comcast possibly dedicating a HFC network segment to a medium sized business who wanted 100/100 service but was outside the Metro Ethernet zone. Especially since the price would probably be similar to what they would charge for 100/100 Metro Ethernet.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to voipnpots
said by voipnpots:

So there can't be a direct fiber-to-coax connection that bypasses Docsis standards?

Hmm, FIOS?

What can be, and what Comcast sells are not the same thing.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to voipnpots
said by voipnpots:

in theory but they want to have tv channels and docsis provides a good flexable framework

now with docsis downstream at qam256 can be 42mbps and each channel iirc is 6mhz wide

so in theory 1ghz/6mhz=166channels
166*42=6,972Mbps

then step the QAM up to some modulation thats not yet used and split it between up and down and you have tons of bandwidth

voipnpots

USA
Also, does AT&T offer any bandwidth-rich services other than their Ethernet business service (not counting U-verse)? I am asking because I did not realize until this very moment than AT&T even offered 10GBPS Ethernet.

(You guys must hate me for all the questions I'm asking!)