Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to drew

Re: [game] Newbie F11

OK - Time to stick my neck out again to show how this game is really played.

It's an F11, the choice is go No Lynch Day 1 and see what we get overnight (not my first choice), or lynch someone based on no evidence. Metagaming, I would bet one of the two new players is mafia, but we can't hang our hat on that, and I don't want to discourage either of them; so they're out. ekster voted me back from L-1, so I am leaning towards him being town. All I have is a dislike of Protus' drive by vote, and KrisN taking me to L-2. Savious would be who I'd go after if he weren't a newb, for taking me to L-1; but he gets a pass as it's his first game.

I'm fine with voting off KrisN or Protus. The only other thing I have to point out is lack of input from Arch or Ant, but they seem to both be busy IRL. Vote stays on KrisN for now.

Is the No Lynch a bad idea in a game this small? Can anyone give input to that? I know it's worthless in a C9, but is it still worthless in an F11?
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Are you seriously mafia again?

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
reply to Kristopher
First time ever I've seen you pitch a No Lynch and then campaign against it. Then nitpicking about a "drive by". My day 1 vote almost always goes to you or ant.

You're acting kind of sketchy.

Savious6

join:2009-11-20
Belgrade, MT
reply to drew
What are the L-X for?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

Is the No Lynch a bad idea in a game this small? Can anyone give input to that? I know it's worthless in a C9, but is it still worthless in an F11?

You're making me regret for unvoting you.

No lynch is fine in a large/crazy game where we have zero idea what's going on on Day 1... but in a C9/F11, we know exactly what the game is... so we prod random people, then pick someone and move on.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Archivis
I could be, but I'm not.

I think my little paragraph sums up things from my point of view very well. I'm ignoring the newbs for a Day 1 lynch, putting exter in the good category for now since he backed me off L-1, and looking at Protus and KrisN for the way they voted. I have nothing on you or Ant because you have been inactive. I also have nothing on Jobbie thus far. And lastly, I ask for thoughts on No Lynch, as I forget whether or not it can give tactical advantage to town based on numbers. Pretty simple, really.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Savious6
L-X is how many more votes are needed to lynch. When it hits L-0, that player is lynched.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to Kristopher
exter? you phonetically spelling bastard!

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to ekster
Then take me out for Day 1. I prefer modding these things to playing them anyway. Unless I'm mafia, and winning.

I like to move the game along, and it causes me to be focused upon. It's natural, cause if I were mafia I'd do what I could to focus attention on anyone active, since lynching inactives is considered bad juju. Since I don't have a power role, and could really care less, I prefere sticking my neck out to move this shit along. Day 1 in a C9, F11 should not last more than 8 RL hours. There's really nothing to be gained, unless someone makes an epic screw up post as mafia.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to ProtusMose
Vote: Protus

Interesting reaction to my near baseless accusation.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to drew
Official Vote Count
Players needed to lynch: 5

ProtusMose - 1 - Kristopher (L-4)
Kristopher - 2 - ProtusMose, Savious (L-3)
Savious - 2 - Adalicia, ekster (L-3)
ekster - 1 - Krisnatharok (L-4)

Players not voting: Antonica, Archivis, Jobbie
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

I ask for thoughts on No Lynch, as I forget whether or not it can give tactical advantage to town based on numbers. Pretty simple, really.

Gonna depend on the flavor, isn't it?

Possibilities after a day 1 nolynch.
1: 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 mafia, 6 townies (Why does the mafia need a roleblocker if no one in the town has any powers?

2: 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.

2 Mafia, 6 townies (Doc makes a bad call), and cop gets a verdict
2 mafia, 7 townies (Doc makes a good call), and cop gets a verdict
2 Mafia, 6 townies (Doc makes a bad call), and cop gets blocked.
2 mafia, 7 townies (Doc makes a good call), and cop gets blocked

3: 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia, 6 townies (Doc makes a bad call)
2 mafia, 7 townies (Doc makes a good call)

4: 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia, 6 townies (Cop gets a verdict)
2 mafia, 6 townies (Cop gets blocked)

The alternative is we lynch someone and there's a 78% chance we lynch town and you simply subtract each of the results above by 1 townie.

I lean towards a no-lynch.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

Savious6

Belgrade, MT

1 edit
reply to drew
Savious initial thoughts on a random selection of players, no roles involved:

9 Players
-------------
2 Mafia
7 townies

Day 1 Odds:
Probability of townie getting killed: 78%
Probability of mafia getting killed: 22%

Likely result: Townie Killed
6 Townie
2 Mafia

Night phase Result: Townie Killed
5 Townie
2 Mafia

Day 2 Odds:
Probability of a townie getting killed: 71%
Probability of a mafia getting killed: 29%

Likely Result: Townie Killed
4 Townie
2 Mafia

Night Phase: Townie Killed
3 Townie
2 Mafia

Day 3 Odds:
Probability of Townie getting killed: 60%
Probability of Mafia getting killed: 40%

Likely Resulet: Townie Killed

Game is over.

Conclusion, in advisable to random lynch on day 1. Risk too great of lynching innocent player. Any player pushing for lynch can be automatically suspected of ties to mafia, if cop role is activate, recommend immediate investigation.

New decision:

vote: no lynch
--
DSLR's #1 Diablo 3 Fan.

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
kudos:1
newbie gets mafia first game, gg.

review on Real Steel is actually pretty good. Like Kris said, couple of yeah right moments, but overall, 4/5

Savious6

Belgrade, MT
I wouldn't say I "get it" but, from an odds perspective with no known information at this point, its terrible to just lynch someone to "get them out of the way".

I think the game will officially start after second night phase.
--
DSLR's #1 Diablo 3 Fan.

Antonica
Premium
it's ok, you'll learn.. mafia loves to get lynched day 1.

right modem?

Savious6

Belgrade, MT
Sketchy response, bro.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to drew
Here we see the wild noob has locked horns with Antonica See Profile. Antonica See Profile deftly dodges the attack, and rares back for a death blow.

Antonica
Premium
reply to Savious6
bro?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

Here we see the wild noob has locked horns with Antonica See Profile. Antonica See Profile deftly dodges the attack, and rares back for a death blow.

rears, bro, rears.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

"rears back"

Vote: No Lynch

I hear ekster saying the "in a game this small", but as I guessed this is regarding a C9, not F11. I think that with the high percentage chance of lynching a townie, No Lynch day 1 is the correct course of action. It's out of the question for subsequent days, but Day 1 F11, with nothing else to solidly go on, No Lynch is the correct choice.

And to your earlier post, Protus, I wasn't "against" no lynch in my original post. I just wasn't leaning towards it at the time. I recall that No Lynch Day 1 in a C9 does not work, but asked if anyone could detail out the F11 scenarios. I hate math, and am too lazy to do this shit by myself anymore anyway. Plus, it gave us information on how ekster feels about it, as well as Antonica's feelings in her response to Savious' calculations.

No one's really in danger of being lynched, except maybe me. So why would his calculations make someone think he's mafia? He wasn't trying to save his own skin, and if (from your perspective) I was mafia and he was my partner you KNOW I would have warned him ahead of time not to post anything that looked like he was defending me.

But enough of this Day 1 FUD fest. We should vote No Lynch, and see what information we might get from the Night actions.
--

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Krisnatharok
Damnit, beat me to it. (years of reading fantasy novels - everyone rears back at least once in those)
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kristopher
so soon?

unvote

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kristopher
said by Kristopher:

Damnit, beat me to it. (years of reading fantasy novels - everyone rears back at least once in those)

You bet she does!
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Krisnatharok
Lol to the post that made it in under the one I'm responding to.

To your question, sure. What else are we going to accomplish by waiting. We can't force people to give information or participate. We could always go back to the old tactic of pressure voting, but that just led to early role claims and the ever present "I'm busy, sorry for my lack of participation" or "I'm town" responses. Pressure seems to work better in later days, when a forced role claim is actually beneficial in narrowing down who is town vs who is mafia (as the numbers are less, and mafia can make a bad claim).

Day 1 in a C9 should go like this - check in, quick banter, pick someone and lynch them. Day 1 in an F11 should follow suite, but a No Lynch becomes a second option due to the numbers. (For the new players, if you don't already know, C9 has 7 players and F11 has 9). Crazy Game, anything goes, but I prefer No Lynch in those as well for Day 1. But, Day 1 should last a while due to all the shit that can come out Day 1. We don't have crazy shit in C9 or F11, so Day 1 banter is usually worthless.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to drew
Official Vote Count
Players needed to lynch: 5

Kristopher - 2 - ProtusMose, Savious (L-3)
Savious - 2 - Adalicia, ekster (L-3)
No Lynch - 1 - Kristopher (L-4)

Players not voting: Antonica, Archivis, Jobbie, Krisnatharok
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
Savious voted No Lynch:

»Re: [game] Newbie F11
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kristopher
I didn't do it!!!

I mean...

vote no lynch

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Kristopher
By smaller games, I meant both C9 and F11 (they're both tiny compared to the themed, large and crazy games we've had.)

And my reason against no lynch is because we start with an odd number of players, and a no-lynch brings us to an even number of players (as long as the doc isn't successful is blocking a mafia kill, which happens very rarely in my experience.)

Doing the math, a lynch every night results in # of players:
Day 1 - 9
Day 2 - 7
Day 3 - 5 LoL if no mafia were killed
Day 4 - 3 LoL

With a no lynch:
Day 1 - 9
Day 2 - 8
Day 3 - 6 LoL if no mafia were killed
Day 4 - 4 LoL

LoL with 6 or 4 players means more chances of lynching a town, and more targets for the doc/cop to pick (making it harder to succeed.) Only way to get out of that is to do another no lynch. And while this might give the cop or doc (if they're still alive) another chance, it also gives the mafia more chances to kill off the cop/doc/more useful townies.

For me, the first scenario leaves less room for chance and for FUD.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
Bellevue, NE
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by ProtusMose:

rears, bro, rears.

Etymology 2

Variant of rear.

[edit] Verb

rare (third-person singular simple present rares, present participle raring, simple past and past participle rared)
1.(US, intransitive) To rear, rise up, start backwards.  [quotations ▼]

2.(US, transitive) To rear, bring up, raise.

Both ya'll can bow down and kiss my converse.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab