share rss forum feed

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

Throttling...

sucks... I went over my 2GB plan with t-mobile on purpose a couple of months ago to see if I would get throttled this time because earlier last year in april I went over my 5gb limit I had at the time by like 300 mb and never got throttled even though I got a text saying I was. This time when I got throttled the dialup like speeds were so slow that some apps like facebook wouldn't even work at all, hell most apps didn't even work and had to use wifi hotspots when I was out and about. When I was at the movie theater when it happened someone had their wifi hotspot on their phone turned on and it was open so I went in and used it a bit while i was there .

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

So at least for you, is it fair to say that regardless of the technical description of what AT&T does, throttling==service interruption?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

said by rradina:

So at least for you, is it fair to say that regardless of the technical description of what AT&T does, throttling==service interruption?

Pretty much but its in general. 56 kbps on a smartphone is god awful, a lot of apps that need the internet either won't work or take longer than most are willing to wait to load up. Actually during speedtesting the best I was able to pull was about 48 kbps and unthrottled I see up to and beyond 6mbps on my 3G phone.

EDIT: also most of the data used was from the market like updating apps, maybe uploading a backup of the phones data with maybe 1 or 2 downloads of something of a good size.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to CptGemini

I'm prepared to go back to a pay-as-you-go cell phone to keep my number and receive and make calls through my IPad since I rarely make calls.
But so far everything is ok with my iPhone. I'm over 4g every month.
Grandfathered unlimited is still on.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

Yea take it from someone who's been throttled. It's not fun lol. It was just a test though since I wasn't sure if I would even be throttled or what I would be throttled at.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to Majestik

I'm using a looooot more than that on my unlimited Verizon lte plan. of course I usually limit my major bandwidth use to off-peak hours in the middle of the night so I don't impact the network.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
kudos:1
reply to rradina

said by rradina:

Except he was talking about T-Mobile....
--
-M

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed that and based on the title of Karl's article, assumed AT&T.