join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 recommendation

Caddyroger to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Finally The Locals Get It

said by pnh102:

Good to see that the local governments got out of the way of progress.

It could be google caved in. I did not read where it said that the city gave in. To me it seems like google caved in.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Caddyroger:

said by pnh102:

Good to see that the local governments got out of the way of progress.

It could be google caved in. I did not read where it said that the city gave in. To me it seems like google caved in.

Google agreed to hang their fiber in the telecom segment of utility poles like everyone else and they will pay the attachment fees as well. So, yes, Google gave in to the city.

»www.kansascity.com/2012/ ··· net.html

Google had the choice of paying the normal fees for the same access as their potential Internet service competitors, or avoid the fees and take on added construction costs of operating in the electric supply space. Such an installation would have required using more specialized and highly paid linemen for the work, and likely costlier engineering work.

A source familiar with Google’s plans said the search and advertising giant is opting to pay attachment fees and take the more common route of placing their wires in the space used for telecommunication.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
why does it have to be about someone caving in? Google is getting what it wants. It wants to hang fiber and that is the bottom line here.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

why does it have to be about someone caving in? Google is getting what it wants. It wants to hang fiber and that is the bottom line here.

In Kansas City it was required the that telephone and cable lines be I believe 40 in below the power lines. Google wanted to put the lines in that area. They did not want to follows the rule that the phone and cable had to.
So Google probably agreed to the city terms which is caving in.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

Because Google promoted the project as somehow being annointed, and exempted itself from the usual forces of regulation and oversight that make such works complex and slightly more expensive.

There is only so much room on a pole, and it must be implemented in a manner that is safe for all. There are no shortcuts.

PUGZBrand
@buckeyecom.net

PUGZBrand to Caddyroger

Anon

to Caddyroger
that is an actual safety law for all areas. that's why you see the space on poles around the country.
Expand your moderator at work