Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to andyb

Re: CNOC's Part 1 Filing on the 703/704 tariffs

said by andyb:

CNOC files something. - Havent looked at it yet.
It's to do with capacity charges,labour rates etc of various ISP's

Basically, the CNOC questioned the Cablecos' Rates' Spread for CBB, and asked the CRTC to review all of the respective #####s to see why there is such a wide disparity in these rates, given the similar technology among providers of this type of service delivery.

This question very much DID need to be formally asked.

CNOC deserves a round of TimBits !

EDIT : In more detailed review of the doc, I noticed 2 things :

(1) Their 1st question was not so much about the spread of the various providers' CBB rates themselves (though that question hopefully has been asked too, and DOES deserve much more clarity in an answer), but instead about the service charges for an IISP changing what they want in HS links and CBB capacity.

(2) There were quite a few more questions following the first one.

OK, TWO rounds of TimBits....

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

said by Davesnothere:

Basically, the CNOC questioned the Cablecos' Rates' Spread for CBB, and asked the CRTC to review all of the respective #####s to see why there is such a wide disparity in these rates, given the similar technology among providers of this type of service delivery.

*cough*Co*Cough*geco*Cough*. Sorry about that.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
START Today!

said by grunze510:

*cough*Co*Cough*geco*Cough*. Sorry about that.

Spit it out !

What're ya trying to say ?

Cough-geco ?

A new nickname ?

Or just a need for some Buckley's and/or Benylin ?

(Some of the best discoveries were made by accident.)

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

So, you place an order for 6 additional GigE. This is below the 11 gigE limit at whih point the 3 montsh delay kicks in. The next month, you order 5 additional gigEs. Again, this is below the 11 limit.

So in the end, you've gotten you 11 extra GigEs faster by splitting your order in two and spreading them over 2 months.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by jfmezei:

So, you place an order for 6 additional GigE. This is below the 11 gigE limit at whih point the 3 montsh delay kicks in. The next month, you order 5 additional gigEs. Again, this is below the 11 limit.

So in the end, you've gotten you 11 extra GigEs faster by splitting your order in two and spreading them over 2 months.

This is assuming that Rogers books all the upgrade orders on time, hardware additions/replacements come in on schedule and the technicians perform the work as soon as both of those are done.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

So, you place an order....

If an IISP is growing THAT fast, they can AFFORD an in-house logistician to make sure that they know things such as that.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

I have now completed my 1st read of today's CNOC letter to CRTC, and I'm impressed in a positive manner.

»/r0/download/1···inal.pdf

Let me just add that CNOC seems to have some very sharp legal minds on their team, IMNSHO.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Just a heads up that today, the 13th is the deadline for filing initial comments on the CNOC part 1. Expect a number of filings today.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Cable Carrier's response to CNOC:

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

Looks like CNOC screwed themselves hard by calling it "dynamic capacity allocation" instead of requesting aggregated capacity in the form of LAGs... if CBB was applied on a per-LAG basis, you get automatic load-balancing and fail-over without any of the manual interventions the cablecos are complaining about and it still remains impossible for ISPs to use more capacity than whatever the cablecos set the LAG's limit to.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

CNOC filed supplentary comments today. Wish I had time to read it.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03

said by jfmezei:

CNOC filed supplentary comments today. Wish I had time to read it.

CNOC is simply asking the CRTC to consider telling incumbents to offer CBB on business GAS with the associated reduction on access charges to account for the removal of capacity components as an alternative to having to split res/biz realms and traffic... basically, go back to when res and biz were the same exept for monthly access fees and install charges.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Bell Canada's commens on the matter

Converted to PDF for yoru viewing pleasure

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

said by jfmezei:

Too long, didn't read. I suspect they're just re-enforcing that the costs should be higher, can't do that etc.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by mlerner:

said by jfmezei:

Too long, didn't read. I suspect they're just re-enforcing that the costs should be higher, can't do that etc.

They are basically saying that realm splitting is easy peasy, been done before and no reason why it can't be done now.

They claim that not splitting the realms allows ISP's to "game the system" around CBB.

In otherwords Bell wants it cake and eat it too.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Primus has weighted in too ...

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

And now, ladies and germs.... It's the MTS Allstream submission...

Converted from some weird format to .pdf for your viewing convenience.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

That's quite some selective snippet of my testimony in para 45, conveniently omitting my response to the question - which was something along the lines of that when that fibre is built there are many redundant strands available at little to no additional cost.

Bell loves to make this claim of not paying for redundancy but the fact is that the capacity cost is a reflection of the whole network, including all the capacity and links that exist. Adding another interface without more capacity only marginally effects the overall cost (ie a port cost) yet they want to collect the capacity charge again without reflecting that the additional revenue of that capacity order without the need to deliver it should drive the per unit cost down.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

Especially the redundancy the IISP want is the very last link to Front street and not need the path within Bell's entire cloud duplicated. So really the ASSPI alone cost should cover that.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to rocca

Rocca, haven't you learned that Bell just wants to get all your money ?

It would be far ore efficient if you gave Mirko access to your bank account and let him manage it for you.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Ott_Cable

said by Ott_Cable :

Especially the redundancy the IISP want is the very last link to Front street and not need the path within Bell's entire cloud duplicated. So really the ASSPI alone cost should cover that.

Exactly.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

It would be far ore efficient if you gave Mirko access to your bank account and let him manage it for you.

I sense another Part I coming....

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

said by rocca:

I sense another Part I coming....

Since CNOC promised a second process to focus on rates, everyone senses another part 1 coming

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Vaxination Informatique's submission to the CRTC on that CNOC thing. I am cross eyed, unable to read and in bad need of sleep.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

Just a quick note: the next deadline ia February 28th when we get to file our comments on everyone's comments. This is a first at CRTC since normally, only the party who filed the part 1 gets to file comments at the end.

I laffed

@videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei

I liked how you literally drew the CRTC a picture and titled it, "How Things Work".

I chuckled.

+1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to jfmezei

$49.7 gazillion dollars

Really?

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

1 recommendation

said by elwoodblues:

$49.7 gazillion dollars

Really?

It was either that or $########.##

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by jfmezei:

said by elwoodblues:

$49.7 gazillion dollars

Really?

It was either that or $########.## (Filed in Confidence with the CRTC)

Fixed it.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to jfmezei

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazillion

The English language has a number of words for indefinite and fictitious numbers — inexact terms of indefinite size, used for comic effect, for exaggeration, as placeholder names, or when precision is unnecessary or undesirable.

So in other word, it is ############ but without the significant digits.