Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Cataclysm] LUA for dummies

Many of us here are quite proficient with using/critiquing Addons. I currently get all of mine through Curse.com, and I use their client to manage my addons.

My question to the forum is, "Are any of you proficient in reading/scripting/configuring the actual addons?"

If no one is, then this should be an astoundingly short thread. I'm looking to get better at troubleshooting (and anticipating) crashes and errors... but I could really use a primer of sorts.

anyhoo... thanks in advance.
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego
"You never truly know someone... until you fight them"

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
Are you actively writing new addons, troubleshooting existing bugs, modifying existing?

I haven't written any addons, but I've fixed a few bugs after patches before. I'm a professional software developer, though, so most of it made sense.

Lua itself is a pretty straightforward scripting language, so if you have any experience with Python or even JavaScript, addons are not overly complicated.

The WoW API itself has a lot of little quirks in it, but addons just end up being 90% event hooks from what I can tell. Which means its straightforward to make it do what you want, and the hard part is deciding what you want to do. Which is why I've never written an adodn; I'm terrible at new ideas.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
I appreciate your input. I'm looking to troubleshoot bugs as they come up. If I can fix an addon that I really don't want to have to replace, I'd rather just do that. I dabbled in programming a while back with vbasic... not really in the java realm. But I'm willing to learn. can you point me in a good direction as far as reading material?

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

First point: still willing to shoot whoever named JavaScript that, since it has fuck all to do with Java. And if you say ECMAScript people look at you funny.

Lua itself is easy. My Googling always leads me to prodding around »lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory. Most of the higher level stuff (metatables, weak references, etc) aren't going to come up in most addons, but it helps immensely to understand how tables in Lua work and how functions are called.

The language probably won't be the holdup in any addon tweaking; its going to be UI issues (which are handled in XML, not Lua), and knowing the event sequences in WoW, which are all API specific.

»www.wowpedia.org/Portal:Interfac···mization is the best place to start poking around. The WoW API is somewhat poorly documented in my experience; WoWpedia takes the best stab at it.

Of course, all WoW addon related pages are work blocked :\

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Immer
IIRC, there are numerous "LUA for WoW Addon Developers" books out there.