spc
uniqs
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: Finally The Locals Get It

they can't stop the build nor hold it up. TWC and ATT do NOT own the poles so they can't stop them for that. The only thing they could do is slow their installs to the actual Internet backbone unless Google plans on running their own fiber direct to their own data center, and i don't see Google going out that far and doing that.

Google's trying to prove something that really doesn't need to be proven since they won't have the uptake that they're hoping for, nor will the public be able to utilize those speeds they're claiming they'll be handing out.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Yes , sorry to say, but this project will fail. Google has no pay TV service , and with such a limited footprint, they will not be able to create one.

Over in FiOS land, the areas without TV franchises have extremely low penetration. I know the Netflix/ Illegal sharing fanboys will disagree, but facts are facts. TV is what sells service.

So, to offer such a service as a 3rd player without TV is destined to be doomed.
Wait till the people sign up for Gbps service and see virtually no real detectable differences when theyre using it. Looking forward to the posts of speedtest results.

"I have 1Gbps fiber, and cant do a damn thing with 95% of it."
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Some of the experiences among users of the LUS Fiber network in Lafayette, LA would seem to show success for Google Gigabit Service. The intra-network 100Mbps symmetrical service for LUS customers has attracted companies that cherished the ability of sharing very large amounts of data quickly among members at an office or at home. The remote storage and cloud computing service industry is growing in the LUS service area. The thing is, we do not know how exactly Google will market the service. They could act as a wholesalers to companies that can do a triple play offering as retailers.

EDIT: I put in wrong city for LUS Fiber. Cut and paste can be bad, if you are sleepy. That is a warning to all you youngsters. Do NOT post when you are tired. You might end up typing in the wrong state and waste other posters time.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

LUS is in Louisiana no?

I lived a stones throw away from the deployment.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
totally agree. There is only one other place i know that has 1gig to the home and its due to a college pilot for the students, but it does MORE than just Internet.

25139889 (banned) to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Google has already said they would be the ones in charge of the network, it would not be wholesale.

as far as bringing in any new companies; i don't see that happening, that area already has some of the largest companies in the country. Overland Park, KS is a stones throw away from KC and already is home to Sprint-Nextel, Old Navy-Gap, etc. And is in the top 10 richest counties in the country. They are doing fine with TWC and AT&T.

And LUS- is NOT in TN.

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78 to DataRiker

to DataRiker
Yeah, Chattanooga is EPB Fiber.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
Yep, I screwed up posting while tired. Sorry.