spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gunofdis
join:2010-09-30
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

[MO] I've been having to reset my cable modem a lot lately

It seems to be happening more often as time goes on. I hadn't paid it much attention over the last week, but today it's happened starting at around 6am, then every 1-3 hours since. It's just the little RCA modem the tech brought out during installation, but I hadn't had any problems with it until recently.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

What modem do you have? Post your signal levels

»192.168.100.1/ and click on Diagnostics or if you can't see it go to
»192.168.100.1/moreinfo.html
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Hmm your signal looks great. If you don't see any changes but still have to reset you may have a defective modem. Do the lights change on the modem when your service is down or not? Do you have a router connected? If s what brand/model?
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

The lights keep on truckin when it goes out, like nothing even happened. It's an RCA DCM425 and it seems to be running pretty warm lately.

last few entries in the event log:

Time Priority Description
Mon Feb 06 20:39:46 2012 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Mon Feb 06 20:11:57 2012 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Router or not? Do you have to reset it too?
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

Just running straight out of the modem right now.
Line quality and speed tests came up fine. Everything's great when I'm not having to reset the modem and/or dhcp renew at random intervals.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

When it goes down do you get a notification like an exclamation mark in your sys tray? Or does it just stop? Does it only take to power cycle the modem to get internet back?
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

Yep, exclamation mark on the tray. Sometimes I get by with just a dhcp renew, but I usually wind up power cycling the modem and sometimes have to dhcp renew right after that.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

You may want to send a message to MediacomChad with your account number or your modem MAC. he can see a lot more info on his end. Anyway I would try another modem and I recommend buying one like Motorola Surfboard 6121 (it will save you $5/mo).

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to gunofdis

Premium Member

to gunofdis
Send me a PM with your account info when you have the chance. I'll be happy to look into this issue.
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

Tech came out and "fixed" the problem by tightening a connection outside and calling it a day. An hour later my connection drops and I have to reset the modem.

WellDarn
@mchsi.com

WellDarn

Anon

So what's next?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to gunofdis

Premium Member

to gunofdis
If the connections inside and outside the house look good, I would try swapping the modem out next. You can swing by the office in Springfield to swap the modem or I'll be happy to schedule another tech if you would like.

Their address and hours are:
1533 S Enterprise Ave, Springfield, MO, 65804
Monday-Friday: 8am-6pm CT & Saturday: 8am-1pm CT (closed Wednesday: 8am-9am CT)
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

gunofdis

I've been investigating possible problems on my end (the tech seemed to think another possible problem could be my nic going out) and was sorting through some events various legacy networking services were throwing around the times my connection would drop. I turned them all off (stuff no one uses anymore like NetBIOS) and now my box locks up for a couple seconds when the connection drops. I've only had to power cycle the modem once in the last 3 times so now I'm not sure just what's next. Just reinstalled my nic drivers and restarted, maybe things'll feel like working for more than just an hour or so.
gunofdis

gunofdis

Welp, make that 2 of the last 4.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to gunofdis

to gunofdis
said by gunofdis:

I've been investigating possible problems on my end (the tech seemed to think another possible problem could be my nic going out) and was sorting through some events various legacy networking services were throwing around the times my connection would drop. I turned them all off (stuff no one uses anymore like NetBIOS) and now my box locks up for a couple seconds when the connection drops. I've only had to power cycle the modem once in the last 3 times so now I'm not sure just what's next. Just reinstalled my nic drivers and restarted, maybe things'll feel like working for more than just an hour or so.

Instead of uninstalling/reinstalling your NIC drivers, try if you have one connecting another computer to the modem. Then reset the modem and see what happens.
gunofdis
Springfield, MO

1 edit

gunofdis

If I had one to try I'd have don't that by now. Can't figure out what I did with the adapter for my router (holiday traveling) and haven't really felt like firing up the ps3 and playing around online for 2 or 3 hours a stretch to see what happens. Might do that anyway once I get woke up a bit.

I was having NIC driver related errors pop up in my event log so I tried reinstalling them
gunofdis

gunofdis

3 hours of ps3 use later and it's looking like a problem on my end.