join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Ghastlyone

Re: [Official] Tera Online Thread

no, if you read earlier in this thread, we discussed how all you need is any 2 Core CPU, an old GPU or 2000 integrated GPU or better to play adequately. more GPU power will simply allow you to turn on more graphic effects and play at larger resolutions with more FPS.

I'm playing this game the past 8 Month with little more than a 4 year old 9500GT at full 1080p resolution. my eye candy is minimal and my FPS averages in the 20's, but the game is more than playable even with such a hardware handicap.

I hope to buy a $150-$200 GPU card soon to further enjoy this game, and for when Blade & Soul comes out in March. B&S coming out is probably what got enmasse to make Tera F2P sooner rather than later since many Tera loving players will migrate to B&S because that F2P game will provide a similar fighting control experience (not tab target) and eye candy - without the gear grind.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
Yar... I just (image) googled "blade and soul"... lots of eye candy... who knew lingerie is good armor!

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
B&S will be supported by eye candy and status items, as that is all their cash shop will be selling to players.

Tera uses a similar cash shop strategy;

»store.enmasse.com/store/tera/htm···umes-tab

Tera recently improved it's cash shop system by allowing purchases to be traded and brokered in game to other players. so you could buy a pack of swimsuits for real money, keep the one you like in game, then resell the rest to other players for game gold. this means if you don't have real cash and want a swimsuit, you can still get one from another player with game gold you farmed, or from a few limited time in game events.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

no, if you read earlier in this thread, we discussed how all you need is any 2 Core CPU, an old GPU or 2000 integrated GPU or better to play adequately. more GPU power will simply allow you to turn on more graphic effects and play at larger resolutions with more FPS.

I'm playing this game the past 8 Month with little more than a 4 year old 9500GT at full 1080p resolution. my eye candy is minimal and my FPS averages in the 20's, but the game is more than playable even with such a hardware handicap.

I hope to buy a $150-$200 GPU card soon to further enjoy this game, and for when Blade & Soul comes out in March. B&S coming out is probably what got enmasse to make Tera F2P sooner rather than later since many Tera loving players will migrate to B&S because that F2P game will provide a similar fighting control experience (not tab target) and eye candy - without the gear grind.

My PhysX joke didn't play well it seems.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
OIC - LOL

I guess because i keep most eye candy off i don't really notice it even while playing all female avatars. I'm pretty sure there is some wiggle there, but only enough to look natural, nothing exaggerated or overtly suggestive as this is a family friendly game. it's interesting to note that most prefer "cute" to sexy, so more players roll small elin/popori races, than the sexy human/d.elf/castanics.

B&S will probably have much more gore and sexuality, and get a higher age game rating in US/EU. But it's really the fight control game play that interests me the most about B&S after playing Tera. Once you get used to this type of MMO, there really is no going back to old style tab target and mouse select games.

I did try GW2 over a few weekends, and was very impressed with the variety depth and eye candy (had to turn my gama way up because everything is so dark), but found my avatar control to be tedious when compared to Tera.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to I AM
Pack, will I AM and myself be considered "Founders" since we purchased the game when it first released? Played/paid for 3-5 months, then quit for 3-4 months?

FFS I don't know If I have enough free time...

GW2+Tera+PoE+LoL+Firefall = dead

My game time officially expired in November when my last chronoscroll ended

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
GW2+Tera+POE+LOL+FIREFALL = Divorced.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to TheThing
yes, anyone who spent money on this game itself and/or later subscription is a Founder, only people with paying active subscriptions after Jan will enjoy Elite perks.

so it's really people totally new to this game who start for free in February that will have a bank/broker limitations - at least until they spend some money to buy the game itself.

a more interesting question for me is if i buy a chronoscroll, apply it to extend my subscription to March, will I then get all the Elite perks during February. I'll post what I learn about it.

TheThing

reply to I AM
truly F2P is what TERA really needed to compete with GW2

GW2 will always have superior open world... while Tera may end up having superior PvP... aka BGs which are not separate from PvE equipment

I will give this a shot again when it goes F2P, at that point let the best game win!

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
I don't think Tera went F2P to compete with GW2, i think they did it to help maintain current player population levels which have remained pretty constant since November. I judge this by the time it takes the ZF Nexus map to close (which requires a hundred or more active World boss killing players to accomplish, and is not scaled to group size as area bosses are in GW2) which has averaged around 40 minutes daily. I think Tera is more worried about losing players to B&S in March.

There is another factor at play most casual fans here may not be aware of; Korean Tera went F2P in November, and as a result is developing more added content and cash shop items to inspire more revenue - so as NA/EU inherites KTera content, more cash generating content will be possible. to be fair to readers here, do not come back for this new content as the lag time between KTera updates and NA updates has grown as enmasse staff has shrunk. we used to get KTera updates here within 2 Months, now it seems to be a 4 Month lag.

»tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/g···Alliance

TheThing

B&S?

The last time I logged into Tera, the guild leader told me most of the guild had jumped ship from Tera to GW2

and even in global chat there were already murmurings of GW2 long before Nov

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
the GW2 jump occurred months ago, before Tera consolidated it's dozen servers down to 2 (the 3rd roll playing server is dying and will probably be folded into the main pvE server) and greatly scaled back it overhead operations. now they are simply trying to hold the current population levels in check so they can keep at least one pvP and one pvE server fully populated so none of the game content is compromised by too few actives online. Tera does not scale as well as GW2 does - thus a player can solo most of GW2, but can't in Tera.

TheThing

Tera might end up being my go to game for PvP, and GW2 for PvE open world

however... playing GW2 on my latop is easy... playing Tera on laptop isn't going to work... and right now im all about couch potato video game playing

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I can sympathize. I started playing Tera with a Pentium4 and did i feel sorry for the party members i kept lagging behind all wondering why i missed a deadly visual que, or always seemed late on my heals. while i still miss the eye candy on my old GPU, at least now my 4 core CPU keeps me on top of the action/reaction time needed to play Tera skills and positioning better.

TheThing

i have a powerful enough desktop... at times im just too lazy to get on it and play on couch on laptop lol

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
I hear you... when i get that lazy, i play StarCarft 2 - all you need is a mouse with 2 buttons for that classic game update.

TheThing

the good thing man is everyone is going to be on the same server... hopefully

you on the pvp or pve server?

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
if you just starting out, or coming back with a lowbie character, i strongly recommend the pvP server (where i am even though i pvE more) as we have far more party play activity there. sure you may suffer some grief early on, but all you need do is spam a location and name and the anti-griefers will show up and kill the outlaws for you. the other benefit of the pvP more active server is item prices are higher - which is a good thing as it helps slow down the overall gearing up of the player population and makes the game economy more competitive. it also increases the number of available cash shop items and lower their prices, as players sell them in game to generate gold instead of just pvE farming more. you will also find pvP specific structured features (found on both pvE and pvP servers) such as Battle Grounds and Guild vs Guild wars a lot more entertaining on a pvP server, where players are skilled and gear optimized for battle. also if you look at the KTera coming content linked above, most of the 2013 content is more pvP oriented, thus it may be less challenging on a pvE only server. also on a pvP server players optimize there gear setup for both pvE and pvP specific situations - while pvE server players are mostly the same mold of pvE gear - kinda boring.

BTW anyone here coming back to play can join my quiet side banking clan by typing /apply packeteers (i will give you all invite priviledges so you can invite any other friends along the way) then later once you higher level and geared up you can join a more active instance static and GvG guild - i won't take it personal when you GQuit

TheThing

reply to I AM
tired...

not sure if Packeteers mentioned this already:

FOUNDERS - people like me, I AM, Monchis, etc... can get back into the game FOR FREE RIGHT NOW, for 7 days until Jan 16

and then totally for free as of February

why is there a gap from jan 16 to feb, no clue... but we can get right back into the game for free

just logged into my account, it was flagged active, with 7 days playable

actually excited to get back into the game, ill def play it now that its free

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
I has no time!!! GW2 is taking all my free time.

TheThing

reply to I AM
got back into Tera last night... played for about 15 minutes

the updater updated the game very quickly

my account is again active

all i can say is WOAAA

very different than GW2

TONS of players on, all because FOUNDERS can get back into the game again for free

everyone was saying the same thing... back... because its free

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
But for how long?

TheThing

founders can play the game free until January 16th

then the game will not be free to play again until February 1 from my understanding.

founders actually get some better perks than everyone else in the game... including elites who are new to the game.

why would I ever put time into Tera again? PVP... and that is yet to be seen

the game is very different but it can't shake a stick at GW2 open world

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by TheThing:

founders can play the game free until January 16th

then the game will not be free to play again until February 1 from my understanding.

Makes total sense. What are these people....retarded?

TheThing

LOL

yeah, 7 days were added to my account

then I can't play for 2 weeks... I don't get it, I guess it's considered a temporary HEAD START or something

What Tera does better than GW2 IMO:
- Seemless Open world, no portals between zones
- No Waypoints like GW2
- Land Mounts (I think I prefer this over waypoints for immersion reasons, NO FLYING MOUNTS)
- The BEST Brokerage/Auction House/Trade Post of any MMO ever. Listing items is SUPER fast, not glitchy, great
- Automatically configured for FPS playstyle

What GW2 does better:
- Graphics
- Open world in general
- Zone Immersion and relevance
- No rooted combat

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
They should take GW2 and Mix it with Tera and give us...THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE!

TheThing

now that I think about it... GW2 doing waypoints supports their portals between zones mechanic

you can't fly from zone 1 to 2 in GW2, because you have to go thru the portals

then again in Tera the flying horses that take you to far away zones enter worm holes or some shit

WoW flight paths are still the best for immersion for getting from point A to point B quikcly

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Tera has direct to town/city scrolls for every major place on the map
that "only" cost 1g each, which isn't much by the time you are lvl.60
in February Elites will get an "Atlas" which will allow them to fly any
platform on the map... that takes longer than scrolls, but is cheaper.

i agree letting you play till the 16th, then not again till February was
totally retarded, given that they removed chronoscrolls from game,
otherwise you could have farmed gold to extend your time in game.
they also should have left chronoscrolls working so Founders could
use game gold to become Elites when the update hits next month...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TheThing
said by TheThing:

now that I think about it... GW2 doing waypoints supports their portals between zones mechanic

you can't fly from zone 1 to 2 in GW2, because you have to go thru the portals

then again in Tera the flying horses that take you to far away zones enter worm holes or some shit

WoW flight paths are still the best for immersion for getting from point A to point B quikcly

There is nothing quick about flight paths.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TheThing

yeah i know it's not "quick", but it's quicker than going by land mount

IMO there should never be flying mounts, just land mounts and flight points

in GW2 I can instanltly teleport to end game zones

it kind of cheapens the journey of getting access there so easily, and lessens immersion of a complete world

just my opinion