uniqs
share rss forum feed

SHY
0x27
Premium
join:2010-06-21
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

[request] Request for a new forum

I think that with all the changes in the internet landscape in Canada given the ruling from the CRTC, and all the mass migration in particular from the incumbents to third party providers, I would like to suggest that a forum be initated for Electronic Box.
I'm sure that the moderators of DSL Reports have noticed the increased traffic in regards to this company, and I believe to alleviate the posts relating to Electronic Box from being posted on Videotron's forum and also on the general forum of Canadian Broadband, that we dedicate a new forum to Electronic Box.
This is an opportunity to be present at the birth and probable explosion of a new era in broadband for Canada and I think that DSL Reports should be in on the ground floor.
Thanking you in advance for your consideration,

shy
--
cogito ergo manduc

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21
kudos:3

Re: [new forum] Request for a new forum

I support this motion, very good idea and i think TigerLord wanted to be moderator of the forum.
--
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque

koolyce

join:2006-02-26
Montreal, QC
reply to SHY
I support also this motion/idea.

jay_supreme

join:2008-01-02
Laval, QC
reply to SHY
I support too!

anynomous

join:2003-06-25
montreal
me too

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
I support this motion

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to SHY
I support it too.

BigBob

join:2006-11-03
canada
reply to Dunlop
Moi aussi.

Me too.

xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC
reply to SHY
I support this, Ebox user are currently spread across many different forums. And is currently having a hugh user base boost.

Examples of threads being used right now to discuss about Ebox:

»Electronic Box pricing for 2012

»[Internet] Fournisseurs independants

Ebox also seem to encourage their staff to answer questions over here, but again are spread on many forums. They have at least 3 staff members active daily on dslreport.

Thanks you

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
kudos:1
reply to SHY
I support the request too!

El Diablo

@videotron.ca
reply to SHY
I'll play devils advocate here. If I may.

We have seen a couple of the resellers ask for their own forum. All were denied, with the exception of teksavvy, due to there not being enough traffic to justify it. Instead other resellers were told to bring traffic up in their "adhock" forums or elsewhere in the forum, such as the Canadian Broadband forum.

In the Videotron forum where the OP linked to this topic, »[Internet] I have made a request....., it appears this request is based on the excitement or anticipated excitement of there finally being an affordable videotron reseller.

More or less it's based on one topic only in particular in which the Videotron reseller, Ebox, is the main focus; »[Internet] Fournisseurs independants.

One topic isn't much of anything. Acanac has tons more.

In the English Canadian Broadband forum there are more topics about Ebox, but again this is a spike due to the new cable reselling prices.

There are more Acanac posts in that forum as well.

So if we apply the logic that the "gods that be" here have stated over and over again when an ISP requests their own forum, it would appear Acanac would/should have their own forum before Ebox. Though I don't think Acanac is really that interested anymore since they prefer people to go to their own forum on their own website.

But just based on the numbers and the prevailing logic here, Ebox shouldn't have their own forum.

Also since there is only really one topic in the vidoetron forum in regards to Ebox, and which is the basis of Ebox wanting their own forum, does it justify having their own forum? Seems more like someone wants more exposure and nothing more. The Canadian Broadband forum seems adequately suited for this ISP as it stands.

In addition to this, is there anything unique that an Ebox forum would bring to the table? I can't think of any other than adding a French reseller to balance the prevailing English reseller. And yes, I do think this is a positive (just so you know). So it would most likely be a predominately french forum or a fully bilingual one which could serve to educate more people in terms of the great Canadian Telco/Cableco rip-off.

/end playing Devils Advocate.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to SHY
+1

jp_zer0

join:2009-07-27
Gatineau, QC
reply to SHY
There is already a forum, it's just burried deeply so it has very little visibility. What we should be asking for is a move to the "canadian" directory of forums like where Teksavvy is now. There is a blank space so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

SHY
0x27
Premium
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to SHY
Here we go moderators. Please consider our request.

»[Internet] I have made a request......
--
cogito ergo manduc

Hyrules

join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
reply to SHY
I agree with SHY.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
I shall be the dissenting opinion.

While Ebox is curently getting a lot of attention, they are certaintly not overwhelming or monopolising the canadian broadband forum, and the additional attention may be temporary because another ISP has chosen not to publish new rates to Québec.

And one must not forget that many discussions in can broadband may include ebox staff, but are not directly related to their own offering. For instance, if they provide an opinion in a thread that discusses a recent CRTC decision, it does inrease their visibility but the thread is not dedicated to their service.

And of you look at the number of threads which are dedicated to ebox service, they are not that many and certaintly do not overwhelm the forum.

In the case of Québec, with Distributel now advertising heavily, one would also expect increased discussions about them.

Dunlop

kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
That is because at present people are posting their questions in a single thread (which derails the subject).

Once the Videotron installs start to happen en masse, it will have an adverse effect on the Canadian Broadband section with people trying to get answers for their installation issues or connection problems.

This will probably be the case for Distributel as well, there will be a lot of people migrating from bell/teksavvy/videotron now that there is a cheap cable alternative in Quebec.

A single forum keeps all of that out of the Canadian Broadband section.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
Denied

JoePro

join:2006-11-01
canada
reply to SHY
I support this request. EBOX related discussions should be in its own forum and not anywhere else.

plojo

join:2008-01-21
Longueuil, QC
reply to SHY
+1

Velix

join:2007-06-08
La Prairie, QC

2 edits
reply to SHY
I think a better job in posting the links to the company forums need to be done instead. I searched for 5 minutes going backwards and tried to find the Electronixbox forum using the links at the top of the page left side.
Forums >
Company Forums » Companies beginning with E » ELECTRONICBOX

I wasn't able to find the links to the list of
Companies beginning with [ insert any letter ].

I knew it exists only because someone else found it and posted a link to it in a thread before. In two weeks when that thread is buried, the ebox link will be too. IMHO this is why most of these secondary forums are dead or dying. They are just almost impossible to find by following the main forums categories.

In the ad-hoc forums, canadian companies are mixed in together with US companies. Electronic box is missing from the list as many other small companies. If a canadian only ad-hoc forum was created and a link to it added in the empty spot at the canadian forums list that would be a great improvement.
»Canadian

BTW: searching for forums names by keywords in the upper left corner of the page here »Canadian
it generated these results on mouse over the search box.

Electronicbox: canadian broadband 147, videotron 31, teksavvy 14, bell canada 2

Electronic box: canadian broadband 180, videotron 10, teksavvy 7, feature requests forum 2

Videotron: videotron 181, canadian broadband 15, forum feature request 3

Teksavvy: teksavvy 169, teksavvy direct 18, canadian broadband 5, forum feature request 3, Cogeco 2, Rogers 2

Rogers: rogers 99 , teksavvy 31, canadian broadband 22, teksavvy direct 11, videotron 10, Acanac 7, canadian chat 6, shaw 3, bell canada 2

Acanac: canadian broadband 139, Acanac 37, teksavvy 19

Bell Canada: canadian broadband 64, canadian chat 32, teksavvy 22, bell canada 22, videotron 11, Rogers 9, cogeco 8, voip tech chat 5, teksavvy direct 5, bell canada direct 3

Distributel:canadian broadband 122, teksavvy 61, videotron 10, Rogers 4, forum feature request 2

saitoh183
Premium
join:2012-01-08
Saint-Eustache, QC
reply to SHY
I support this also

Sync

join:2012-01-19
Terrebonne, QC
reply to SHY
I support this too

Shiguza

Repentigny, QC
reply to plojo
This request I support

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to SHY

SHY
0x27
Premium
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
I'll make you a deal. Make the Electronic Box forum easy to find on the website, and then maybe everyone who wants to post there will. As it stands now, like the commenter above stated, it is impossible to find by linking.....
--
cogito ergo manduc

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
said by SHY:

I'll make you a deal. Make the Electronic Box forum easy to find on the website, and then maybe everyone who wants to post there will. As it stands now, like the commenter above stated, it is impossible to find by linking.....

If someone would be willing to take to time to compile a list of Canadian service providers that have ad-hoc forums on the site, I'll post it as a sticky at the top of the Canadian Broadband forum and link to it in the forum navigation.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to SHY
It is linked near the top of the Electronic Box review page: »Company entry - ELECTRONICBOX

At the top of the main review page you can type in the name and a link to the forum appears in the dropdown list: »/reviews

--
hey Dale

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to state
said by state:

If someone would be willing to take to time to compile a list of Canadian service providers that have ad-hoc forums on the site, I'll post it as a sticky at the top of the Canadian Broadband forum and link to it in the forum navigation.

Good idea.
--
hey Dale

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by fatness:

said by state:

Good idea.

+1 to that plan !

It doesn't really matter where the forum is, as long as folks KNOW that it is there and can FIND it, by browsing a list or a drop-down selector of some kind.

I would reckon that this observation would apply to quite a few other Indie ISPs, both of Canada AND the US.

And splitting whatever list there may already be in to Canadian and US lists might help, as suggested above by Velix, as a basis for the list which you need, and we can of course add to it.

Perhaps a thread could be started in Canadian Broadband forum, asking everyone to post just the Name and website URL of any Canadian ISP which comes to mind.

Links to other lists might qualify too, if they are current on their respective keepers' websites.

Either way, you'd have that list in a hurry !