Search similar:

uniqs

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to SHY

to SHY

Re: [new forum] Request for a new forum

I see no reason not to give Ebox it's own space in the Canadian section. In fact, the existing forum could simply be moved from the alphabetical section to the Canadian section.

Note I am not a customer now, but I was in the past.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

If someone would be willing to take to time to compile a list of Canadian service providers that have ad-hoc forums on the site, I'll post it as a sticky at the top of the Canadian Broadband forum and link to it in the forum navigation.

Just to be clear on this....

You are saying that such a list does not already exist somewhere on DSLR ?

I see some incomplete partial lists here and there, but the link from Fatness for eBox does not seem to be on any of them.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

There use to be a public link to the list of providers, but I don't know where the link is publicly-clickable on the site any more. This is the link: »/isplist/0 (there should be an alphabet to click at the top)

Clicking on the flag symbols to sort by country this is the Canadian provider list: »/isplist?c=ca
Some don't appear Canadian, some may be no longer in business. I'm sure state See Profile would appreciate any input about that. Thanks.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Holy Database, Batman !

They WORK !

THANKS !

I've been on those pages, sometime in the past, and bookmarked them, prob'ly in another computer or browser, though do not see them right now, nor do I remember how I got there LAST time.

I have a feeling though that it was indirectly through the part of DSLR where people post reviews of service providers, but will have to double check.

Anyway, THIS gives us a running start, as all we need to do is some URL testing, copying and pasting, and submitting to State.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

It's a good link to save on your minibar; that's where I keep it.

Each one of those provider review listings, when clicked, will probably display a listing for the respective provider forums.
Velix
join:2007-06-08
La Prairie, QC

Velix to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Holy Database, Batman !

They WORK !

THANKS !

I've been on those pages, sometime in the past, and bookmarked them, prob'ly in another computer or browser, though do not see them right now, nor do I remember how I got there LAST time.

I have a feeling though that it was indirectly through the part of DSLR where people post reviews of service providers, but will have to double check.

Anyway, THIS gives us a running start, as all we need to do is some URL testing, copying and pasting, and submitting to State.

Yes with this it should be much much simpler to build a working forum list. You might want to check with the canadian isp lists to check if some major ISP are missing just in case.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The number code for the Ad-Hoc forum main page for an ISP is the same as that of the list's details page for that same ISP.

So if a person had 2 browser windows or tabs open, one with the list, and another with an existing ad-hoc forum displayed, such as one of two which I posted in my new thread....

They could hover the mouse pointer over an ISP name link in the list page and the status line will reveal its forum code number.

(Even TSI's OLD forum is available there.)

Memorize and type the number part you see on the status line, to edit the other window or tab's URL & then hit [Enter] to get the next forum. (unless there are direct links which I missed, leading to each forum, in the list)
Davesnothere

1 edit

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Browse to ISP Rolodex - How to

said by Davesnothere:

....nor do I remember how I got there LAST time.

I have a feeling though that it was indirectly through the part of DSLR where people post reviews of service providers, but will have to double check....

Here's how to get there from scratch :

Go to REVIEWS tab.
Select any recent review (click link).
In that review page, below the 6-Month Rating Bar, click on one of the links to see other reviews for that ISP.
The next screen will include a row of GREY Tabs, which includes a tab called 'ISP Roldex'.
THAT's the one !
Click !
Then click on flag for country of choice.

(I was logged in when I did that - not sure whether it matters)

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef to fatness

Anon

to fatness

I'm not sure what State and you expect of this list.

I mean, do you want *ALL* currently functioning ISP's? All ISP's that existed? All ISP's that take up at least a few posts in the Canadian Broadband forum?

The whole shabang would be a messy useless list since many are defunct, so it can't be that.

All currently functioning ISP would also be messy since there are some clowns out there (recall westsavvy)?

So w/o knowing the exact specifics I'll take a stab at this for state, since I like his fuzzy blue grin.

I will add to this here and there as my brain cell starts to work (no promises) and limit it to only those that my brain cell can recall people had in the forum and at least made reference to.

1. Acanac: »Acanac
2. Ebox: »Ebox
3. Nexicom: »Nexicom
4. Velcom: »Velcom
5. Caneris: »Caneris
6. CFB Pet Net: (We only see a post from them like once or twice a year. Not sure if they are down. Ad-hock wireless on a military base): »CFB Pet Net
7. Colbanet: »Colbanet
8. Comptom Communications: »Compton Communications The forum looks funny. Did they undergo a name change?
9. MNSi: »MNSi
10. Mornington Communications: »Mornington Communications
11. MTS: »MTS
12. Novus: »Novis (BC and Toronto specific area's only) Also, they have two forums here. See: »Novus Entertainment Inc
13. Primus: »Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc.
14. Radioactif: »Radioactif
15. SaskTel: »SaskTel (this is the gov owned telco who charges 10,600$ for 800-meg)
16. ViF: »VIF Internet
17. Wightman Telecom (FTTH & DSL): »Wightman Telecom
18. Xplornet: »Xplornet
19. AEI Internet: »AEI Internet
20. Yak: »Yak Communications
21. Bruce Telecom (DSL and FTTH): »Bruce Telecom

Then there are other ISP's that no one really uses except their own sales-people who try to get people to join them. I excluded those.

Is this a good start for you?

Do I get 1 free troll for a good deed?
Velix
La Prairie, QC

Velix to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Browse to ISP Rolodex - How to

said by Davesnothere:

said by Davesnothere:

Go to REVIEWS tab.
In that review page, below the 6-Month Rating Bar, click on one of the links to see other reviews for that ISP.
The next screen will include a row of GREY Tabs, which includes a tab called 'ISP Roldex'.
THAT's the one !
Click !

There's a simpler method.

Go to MAPS tab.
Go to the row of GREY tabs, select 'ISP Rolodex'.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to Le Chef

Premium Member

to Le Chef

said by Le Chef :

I mean, do you want *ALL* currently functioning ISP's ? ....

....So w/o knowing the exact specifics I'll take a stab at this for State, since I like his fuzzy blue grin....

Definitely looks like a good start.

I'd say to include any currently active ISPs who have been mentioned in the past few months in CBB forum, if they do not have an 'official' forum of their own, but DO have an AD-HOC forum.

Eastlink, for example, would qualify.

Any Indie ISPs whose new rate plans are currently being considered in threads - You have most of them already but there are always a few others - I'll review and see who else comes to mind - There may even be a few newcomers who have NO forum at ALL, but are getting some respect - I dunno.

As for Resellers, I would suggest YES.

I know of only a few, such as Montreal DSL (TSI), but it would be good for folks to know with whom they are or could be dealing.

Montreal DSL - I just checked and they do not seem to be on the better AD-HOC list which I linked, but they are well-known and we could just say "See Teksavvy".

I would also include RipNET and Storm - regional ISPs near me who are very popular within respective territories.

Bell Aliant is big in the maritimes.

Distributel (has their own customer base and owns Acanac at arm's length)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Velix

Premium Member

to Velix

said by Velix:

said by Davesnothere:

Go to REVIEWS tab.
THAT's the one ! - Click !

There's a simpler method :

Go to MAPS tab.

Simple is GOOD !

Fatness & I each thank you !
Velix
La Prairie, QC

2 edits

Velix to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

deleted

edit: read some of their recent reviews, not as good as before it appears. So much so, I decide to delete the name so nobody accidentally goes to them without reading the reviews.

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef to Le Chef

Anon

to Le Chef
said by Le Chef :

I mean, do you want *ALL* currently functioning ISP's? All ISP's that existed? All ISP's that take up at least a few posts in the Canadian Broadband forum?

The whole shabang would be a messy useless list since many are defunct, so it can't be that.

All currently functioning ISP would also be messy since there are some clowns out there (recall westsavvy)?

So w/o knowing the exact specifics I'll take a stab at this for state, since I like his fuzzy blue grin.

I will add to this here and there as my brain cell starts to work (no promises) and limit it to only those that my brain cell can recall people had in the forum and at least made reference to.

1. Acanac: »Acanac
2. Ebox: »Ebox
3. Nexicom: »Nexicom
4. Velcom: »Velcom
5. Caneris: »Caneris
6. CFB Pet Net: (We only see a post from them like once or twice a year. Not sure if they are down. Ad-hock wireless on a military base): »CFB Pet Net
7. Colbanet: »Colbanet
8. Comptom Communications: »Compton Communications The forum looks funny. Did they undergo a name change?
9. MNSi: »MNSi
10. Mornington Communications: »Mornington Communications
11. MTS: »MTS
12. Novus: »Novis (BC and Toronto specific area's only) Also, they have two forums here. See: »Novus Entertainment Inc
13. Primus: »Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc.
14. Radioactif: »Radioactif
15. SaskTel: »SaskTel (this is the gov owned telco who charges 10,600$ for 800-meg)
16. ViF: »VIF Internet
17. Wightman Telecom (FTTH & DSL): »Wightman Telecom
18. Xplornet: »Xplornet
19. AEI Internet: »AEI Internet
20. Yak: »Yak Communications
21. Bruce Telecom (DSL and FTTH): »Bruce Telecom

22. B2B2C: »B2B2C High-Speed Internet
23. YouMano, »youmano.com/ (I don't see this one on DSLr) However they exist and are active. Few posts in the forum.
24. Eastlink: »Eastlink Cable Do they still exist or have they been bought? I forget. But I see it every now and then in the forum

I excluded mickey mouse ISP's and resellers of resellers.

This about sums up all the ISP's we see in the CDN broadband forum.

My brain cell said it is now complete and it can go back to sleep for a decade.
Le Chef

Le Chef

Anon

OH! One last one that we shouldn't ignore

25. GorillaNET: »gorillanet.ca/ (WISP) Wireless internet provider in Rural Ontario area's. He's online here and active. Plus he's hairy and looks like State, except he isn't blue.

I don't notice a DSLr forum on this one.
Velix
La Prairie, QC

Velix to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by Velix:

said by Davesnothere:

Go to REVIEWS tab.
THAT's the one ! - Click !

There's a simpler method :

Go to MAPS tab.

Simple is GOOD !

Fatness & I each thank you !

Found a faster and simpler method.
I don't know if it was just added, but I just noticed it.
--------------------------------------------

From the canadian forum
»Canadian Broadband

Find just below the large red bar.
General discussions of all broadband issues in Canada.
We also have these ISP specific Forums: Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Shaw, TekSavvy, Telus and Videotron.
Looking for an ISP not listed? We may have an ad-hoc forum for it, click here to check.

The link goes right to the canadian list.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Le Chef

Premium Member

to Le Chef

said by Le Chef :

OH! One last one that we shouldn't ignore

25. GorillaNET: »gorillanet.ca/ (WISP) Wireless internet provider in Rural Ontario area's. He's online here and active. Plus he's hairy and looks like State, except he isn't blue.

I don't notice a DSLr AD-HOC forum on this one.

Yes, I meant to mention George.

Also Distributel may now be larger than TSI, now that they own Acanac, but also no AD-HOC forum in THEIR name.

And I've been adding a few to a post earlier on this page (several above here).

The help is appreciated.

I hope that State has a fairly visible spot in mind for this.

(The eBox fans will squawk if not. )

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef to Le Chef

Anon

to Le Chef
26. Distributel.
Funny... they only have a voip forum here:
»Company entry - Distributel VOIP
Le Chef

Le Chef to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Alphabetical listing would be best.

So, Dave, take those 26 names and forums and now break it down alphabetically so no one screams.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Velix

Premium Member

to Velix

said by Velix:

From the canadian broadbang forum

We also have these ISP specific Forums: Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Shaw, TekSavvy, Telus and Videotron.
Looking for an ISP not listed? We may have an ad-hoc forum for it, click here to check.

The link goes right to the Canadian list.

Hmmmm.... Ain't THAT something !

I wonder whether State or Fatness knew ?

Still, it has a bunch of unimportant and/or outdated entries (bloat), and no direct links to the ad-hoc forums.

But, as I posted earlier, their NUMBERS are in the links within it, so they help indirectly.

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef

Anon

27. Iktel »ikTel Networks Cogeco reseller (or trying to be). Niagara Falls Region.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Le Chef

Premium Member

to Le Chef

said by Le Chef :

said by Davesnothere:

Alphabetical listing would be best.

So, Dave, take those 26 names and forums and now break it down alphabetically so no one screams.

We're real close.

Yes, alpha sort would be good.

Not sure how State wants to access them, so I'll need to see what he figures, and how to add a few which are important but may have no forum here of EITHER class.

Maybe they will add a few more AD-HOC forums for those ?

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

I would also include RipNET and Storm - regional ISPs near me who are very popular within respective territories.

Bell Aliant is under the Bell forum One Bell forum is enough for anyones lifetime.

Ripnet and storm may be popular in your neck of the woods, but they are mentioned here like enough times to count on one hand in a year here. Similar to CFB Pet-Net or youmano.

Let the boss make the call on those.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Le Chef :

said by Davesnothere:

Bell Aliant is under the Bell forum One Bell forum is enough for anyones lifetime.

Ripnet and storm may be popular in your neck of the woods, but they are mentioned here like enough times to count on one hand in a year here. Similar to CFB Pet-Net or youmano.

Let the boss make the call on those.

Yes, Aliant, I see that they say so in the B$ELL forum.

As for the regionals, I guess it depends where one lives.

Though if we are leaving out the one pair, we ought to leave out the other - I've not hear of them before.

But any time we need to compare to an Indie with high rates and stingy monthly caps, RipNET gets mentioned.

It also depends on how exactly that State wants to display the names, as to how much room is practical.

Tomorrow....

Le Chef
@videotron.ca

Le Chef to Le Chef

Anon

to Le Chef
To make it easier for them to decide if they want to remove those who names only pop up very rarely:

These are the most common names that pop up.

1. Acanac:
2. Ebox:
3. Nexicom:
4. Velcom:
5. Caneris:
7. Colbanet:
9. MNSi:
13. Primus:

The rest are far and few inbetween.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I'm kinda hoping for a pull-down selector, but I'm really not sure what sort of thing is supported by this board software.

But a thread with a single post of a page full of links, say 2 columns of 15 ISPs, 'stickied' into the CBB forum, would work too.

Simple and functional.

I may do some cutting and pasting overnight (am night owl anyway).
Velix
La Prairie, QC

2 edits

Velix

said by Davesnothere:

I'm kinda hoping for a pull-down selector, but I'm really not sure what sort of thing is supported by this board software.

But a thread with a single post of a page full of links, say 2 columns of 15 ISPs, 'stickied' into the CBB forum, would work too.

Simple and functional.

I may do some cutting and pasting overnight (am night owl anyway).

I would suggest a pull down selector with the ten or so most active companies in the canadian broadband forum located in the empty spot in the canadian page.
»Canadian
It can also be just their name with a link. There's no need to have a preview of the first threads.

Then I would add a sticky thread in the canadian broadband forum with a list of all the canadian ISPs with a direct link to their respective company forums, not the reviews. The owners or moderators will decide what they prefer.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY

Forums (Ad-Hoc) for more Canadian ISPs

This is the same 'Member-Submitted List' from which Moderator State generously created a new web page »Canadian Broadband FAQ »Canadian ad-hoc forum listings.

For the new Easy to Find links, please check out on the main CBB forum page, just above the topic bar, following the question :
"Looking for an ISP not listed ?"

======================
Any DSLR AD-HOC forums are linked, to the right of the ISP name, followed by external websites, further to the right.

This list is posted in another (Canadian Broadband) forum too.
======================

Acanac : »Acanac »community.acanac.com/acanac/ »www.acanac.com/
AEI : »AEI Internet »web.aei.ca/english.shtml
B2B2C : »B2B2C High-Speed Internet »www.b2b2c.ca/
Bruce Telecom (DSL and FTTH) : »Bruce Telecom »www.brucetelecom.com/
Caneris : »Caneris »www.caneris.com/
CFB Pet Net (WISP on military base) : »CFB Pet Net »www.psppetawawa.com/wifi.cfm
Colbanet : »Colbanet »www.colba.net/
Compton Communications : »Compton Communications »www.powergate.ca/
Distributel (DSL & Cable) : »Distributel »www.distributel.ca/en/index.aspx
Eastlink : »Eastlink Cable »www.eastlink.ca/
eBox : »Ebox »www.electronicbox.net/
GorillaNET (WISP) : »gorillanet.ca/ - Rural ON (No DSLR AD-HOC forum)
Iktel : »ikTel Networks »www.iktel.ca/ - Cogeco Niagara partner/reseller
MNSi : »MNSi »www.mnsi.net/
Mornington Communications : »Mornington Communications »www.mornington.ca/
Mountain Cable : »Mountain Cable »www.mountaincable.net/ (bought by Shaw) - Hamilton Mountain
MTS (Allstream) : »MTS »www.mts.mb.ca/internet/i ··· dex.html »www.mts.ca/portal/site/m ··· a8c0RCRD
Nexicom : »Nexicom »www.nexicom.net/
Novus : »Novus Entertainment Inc »www.novusnow.ca/ - Vancouver
PrimusTel : »Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. »www.primustel.ca/
Radioactif : »Radioactif »www.radioactif.com/
RipNET (DSL & WISP) : »RipNet »www.ripnet.com/ - Eastern ON (bought by Xplornet in 2011)
SaskTel : »SaskTel Saskatchewan »SaskTel »www.sasktel.com/
Storm Internet (DSL & WISP) : »Storm Internet »www.storm.ca/ - Eastern ON
Telnet Communications : »Telnet Communications »www.telnetcommunications.com/en/
Velcom : »Velcom »www.velcom.ca/
ViF : »VIF Internet »wiki.vif.com/dokuwiki/do ··· :resadsl
WaveDirect (WISP) : »WAVEDIRECT »www.wavedirect.net/ (GBU rates them as Good)
Wightman Telecom (FTTH & DSL) : »Wightman Telecom »www.wightman.ca/index.php
Xplornet (WISP) : »Xplornet »www.xplornet.com/index.aspx
Yak Communications : »Yak Communications »www.yak.com/index.aspx?i ··· 26&lg=en
YouMano : »YOUMANO »youmano.com/
ZiD Internet : »ZiD Internet »www.zid.com/

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Davesnothere

Mod

to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by Velix:

From the canadian broadbang forum

The link goes right to the Canadian list.

Hmmmm.... Ain't THAT something !

I wonder whether State or Fatness knew ?

Still, it has a bunch of unimportant and/or outdated entries (bloat), and no direct links to the ad-hoc forums.

But, as I posted earlier, their NUMBERS are in the links within it, so they help indirectly.

I added that to the forum masthead last night, so yeah, you could say I knew about it.

As for direct links, if you click on the company name, there is a link to their ad-hoc forum, take this one for example:

state

state to Le Chef

Mod

to Le Chef

said by Le Chef :

Do I get 1 free troll for a good deed?

I gave you a free troll earlier this week.