Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state

Re: Browse to ISP Rolodex - How to

Fatness posted the direct link to that list for that page for us last night, and while we were testing and grabbing info from it to make our so-called 'Short-List', someone noticed your link, but was not sure how long it had been there and previously missed by us.

We had some ideas which centred around a tighter list of recently active ISPs who mostly do have ad-hoc forums here, and were hoping to propose to post a version of my post (which is immediately above your posts here) into CBB, possibly as a new Stickied thread, or to not sticky it but instead make another link to it, similar to what you already created for the big list, maybe just to the right of your link....

to read something like : Prefer 'Short-List' ? Click HERE !

BTW, several of our short-list entries DO have ad-hoc forums here ('Iktel', for example), but are not shown in the existing long list, however we found their forum numbers by checking the reviews section, as they seem to use the same IDs per ISP over there.

Therefive, our 'short list' has a few ISPs and ad-hoc forum links which are not on the long list.

So what do you figure ?

BTW, I just got thru testing every link on the Short-List - found and fixed a few clunkers too.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state

Re: [new forum] Request for a new forum

said by state:

said by Le Chef :

Do I get 1 free troll for a good deed?

I gave you a free troll earlier this week.

HeHeHe

I was wondering - what do they TASTE like ?

Any good with Chips ?
xcimo
Fibe 50-50
join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC

xcimo to SHY

to SHY
Kinda lost in all thoses post, any improvement on listing ebox forum somewhere not burried in the compagny by name?...
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to SHY

to SHY
Wouldn't the list be easier to manage if you were to only add companies who specifically request it?

i.e you will actually see answers to questions on those forums

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to SHY

to SHY
This would be a great idea to have a forum for ElectronicBox.

It would give a forum for an independant ISP where French canadian can talk each other. So far everyone speaking french only always goes to the Videotron forum. And I think the traffic they generate justify they have a forum.
xcimo
Fibe 50-50
Gatineau, QC

xcimo

said by vitesse:

This would be a great idea to have a forum for ElectronicBox.

It would give a forum for an independant ISP where French canadian can talk each other. So far everyone speaking french only always goes to the Videotron forum. And I think the traffic they generate justify they have a forum.

Just to clarify, it would be a english-french forum. Not a french only

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to SHY

to SHY
What has been assembled (and is linked atop the Canadian Broadband forum): »Canadian Broadband FAQ »Canadian ad-hoc forum listings

Nice work by everyone involved.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

I do not see the link in the canadian broadband forum

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The 1st post in below-linked thread explains where it is (it's a new web page).

This post also has a less purty version of the same list, from which Mod State made the web page.

»Forums (Ad-Hoc) for more Canadian ISPs

eye patch
@videotron.ca

eye patch to Dunlop

Anon

to Dunlop

FAQ

Click for full size
FORUM
said by Dunlop:

I do not see the link in the canadian broadband forum

It's there. On the main page and in the forum FAQ.

I don't think it's what Ebox wanted though.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by eye patch :

It's there....

The link from the forum front page is K00L, IMO.

And it's much more accessable than before.

Trouble is that some folks are so accustomed to using CBB that if the currently busiest eBox thread got relocated to the ad-hoc forum for eBox, a whole new bunch of whining would begin, from folks who said NOTHING, NE RIEN, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, while some of us publicly encouraged the new list and links to happen.

I for one am very pleased at the result, and at the cooperation we got from our Mods.

The only remaining question in MY mind is whether some of these now Easy-Access forums will get some traffic, or are most folks too set in their ways ?
xcimo
Fibe 50-50
Gatineau, QC

xcimo to SHY

to SHY
Definatly an improvement, but I still think that the most popular ISP should have their like in the main canadian isp page.

or I would improve the Canadian forum top header like this:

We also have these ISP specific Forums: Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Shaw, TekSavvy, Telus and Videotron.

Change to:

Other ISP Forums: Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Shaw, TekSavvy, Telus, Videotron, [INCLUDE MOST POPULAR ISP AD-HOC HERE]

Such as Ebox, Acarac, Distributel, Canaris

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to xcimo

to xcimo
Yes, like the videotron forum

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro to SHY

to SHY
Sorry for reviving this thread, but the forum has been pretty active since the beginning of February and should be upgraded to a fully-fledged forum with a designated moderator.

Where can we see forum stats to compare against other fully-fledged canadian forums?

OU812
@videotron.ca

OU812

Anon

Barely a month passed. Why not wait 3 or 6 months?

A few years passed for Acanac...

Besides, what makes you think the tiny bit of topics they have there won't die out in a month or so?

JoePro
canada

JoePro

That's why I was asking about forum statistics. Right now, it seems to be attracting a lot more attention than other fully-fledged canadian forums. The Acanac one seems pretty dead to me.

OU812
@videotron.ca

OU812

Anon

said by JoePro:

That's why I was asking about forum statistics. Right now, it seems to be attracting a lot more attention than other fully-fledged canadian forums. The Acanac one seems pretty dead to me.

As previous stated on page 1, this is normal. They were the first to come out with reselling videotron with the new tariffs. Prior to this they had one post a month for 2 years, then one post per year prior to that.

One month is pretty much meaningless, especially since people are forum hopping telling others to create topics in that Ebox forum just to generate traffic!

Once the bugs are worked out of the new tariffs, and once their apparent throttling situation is fixed up, what do you expect of that forum in all honesty? Have you looked at the videotron forum? There is barely nothing about internet, it's all about TV since their internet just works, unlike DSL.

Acanac was the same thing. There were many posts there to boost stats in order to try and get their own forum. This went on for a long time, not a lousy month.

After a few months things calm down to an *equilibrium*.
-Kids don't forum-hop telling other to post only in a certain forum to generate bogus traffic.
-The initial "excitement" of being the first to come out with new pricing that the early-adopters jump to dies out.
-The forum topics created for no reason stop... etc etc.

Again this also happened with Acanac, but at a larger scale than Ebox.

Besides, as is, there is not a heck of a lot of traffic in the Ebox forum now. It's minute. Once equilibrium is reached in a couple of months (or sooner) it will be even less.

Seriously, JoePro, the tiny bit of topics and clicks are just that.. tiny. And it will get tinier unless they get more customers. And this will only happen in time.

I say wait it out 3 months and revisit it then. If they hype continues and if they grow it will show by then.

Also, the whole basis of this topic right here since the beginning was due to exactly one single topic in the videotron forum about Ebox. One single topic....
OU812

OU812 to JoePro

Anon

to JoePro
Also, just to add...

It would make more sense to create a Distributel forum since Distributel now owns Acanac. So both ISP's together could be lumped in one Distributel forum.

This would cover a heck of a lot more than Ebox since it would throw TPIA Ontario cable users into the mix, which Ebox doesn't have, and also the great number of Ontario DSL users which Ebox doesn't have (in terms of numbers).

I bet you dollars to donuts that Distributel and it's satellite companies would generate more traffic than just ebox.

But in terms of niceness... Yeah we all like and root for the little ebox guy who is starting to shine... But that doesn't justify a forum. Or does it now?

JoePro
canada

JoePro

Dear OU812,

If you had been reading my posts, instead of putting your foot in your mouth, you would've noticed I was asking for a way to compare traffic to make sure I wasn't talking out of my @ss.

The forum has been getting a lot more traffic than quite a few other canadian forums this month. If you think there isn't any traffic or just a tiny bit of topics and clicks, you are most likely on glue, delusional or just plain jealous.

Oh, and guess what? My request wasn't directed at some anonymous forum poster.

Best regards,
JoePro.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY
Does the Electronic Box forum needs to become a fully grown forum to get the direct support option activated ? Could potentially be interesting.