Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
The latest on this from the Light Reading Cable site:

Comcast Ready to Mine for VoD Gold
Light Reading Cable - February 29, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable&

"Comcast Corp. is pumping out 400 million video-on-demand (VoD) streams per month, and the bulk of them are TV shows, so it's high time for the MSO to start making some money on the platform.
:
Cable's been trying to do this for a while, but only recently has the technology reached a stage where an MSO can switch ads dynamically within VoD streams and help pay the freight for all that "free" on-demand fare. [Comcast Senior VP of Video Services Marcien] Jenckes estimates that 70 percent of the MSO's VoD consumption falls into that category, with television shows being the most popular "by far."

Jenckes insists that this part of the cable advertising business is now ready to scale. Comcast has rolled out dynamic VoD ad insertion in most markets. The only holdouts are Western Pennsylvania and Denver, but they'll be added in a couple of months when they are hooked into Comcast's content delivery network, Jenckes said.

Comcast's platform currently allows for ads to be inserted at the start and end of VoD programs; the MSO is in the process of adding mid-roll capabilities."

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Also, some more details from a Multichannel News article:

Advanced Advertising: Comcast's Jenckes Sees Plenty of ITV Ad Opportunities
Exec Also Bullish on VOD Mid-Roll Dynamic Ad Insertion
Multichannel News - February 29, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/481···ties.php

"Jenckes is also bullish on VOD advertising, with Comcast poised for significant growth there. The nation's largest distributor and foremost proponent of VOD generates some 400 million screen views monthly, with TV shows accounting for more than one-third of that total, according to Jenckes.

Whereas VOD ad opportunities have principally been limited to pre- and post-roll positions, Comcast, according to Jenckes, is on the verge of dynamically inserting ads mid-roll, within the commercial breaks of programming content, across its entire footprint. On stage during his conversation with Multichannel News editor in chief Mark Robichaux, Jenckes noted that Comcast's systems in western Pennsylvania and in the Denver DMA are currently the only ones yet to be equipped with mid-roll dynamic VOD ad insertion capabilities, but that would change shortly.

In an interview after his keynote, Jenckes said those markets should come on board by March and April. From there, Comcast -- it started rolling out the mid-roll VOD dynamic advertising service last year before it was interrupted by a software glitch that was subsequently patched -- expects that capability will be "totally available" by year-end, across VOD, websites and iPad apps.

Given consumers' VOD TV usage habits -- the bulk of which pertains to current shows that are screened within the C3 window, this makes them "highly monetizable," according to Jenckes.

He said mid-roll VOD dynamic insertion represents opportunities not just for the MSO, but marketers and networks. "It will make VOD equivalent to the linear platform. Currently, the ads are either stitched mid-roll into the content, or there aren't any stitched ads because the timing isn't right for the spots," Jenckes told MCN."This is going to be a huge opportunity to increase the VOD inventory load.""

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
reply to andyross
Great we get locked out on network programming and now they want to chunk more commercials into it, guess I will replaytv them damn things and then import them into my system and yank all the commercials out. I am going to shutup, I am almost rant ready hehe.

J Jefferson3

@comcast.net
here is another article that goes into further details from

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/no-···-demand/

Now i know people are going to be upset, but we smart people knew that VOD was never meant to be truly free in the first place, so if anyone really wants to complain go over to the avsforums, since no one here wants to hear it!!

Now for some areas in Central pa, we have begun taking down more messages, from the old expanded basic channels that were in Analog!! thus We added more QAM's for VOD in most areas, but that was before the Steampix announcement so those QAM's were open just for Regular VOD, however just in this last week i have come up with plans for all of the Central PA systems for a deciated QAM just for that service alone, which is the reason why it will not be available in the ON Demand system until the summer!!! Plus i also the guy that must do QAM reassessments when our areas starts taking basic analog away later this year, but my area overall is at a stand still because the FCC can not get it act together on it's decision on basic encryption since that has a side effect on then what areas need the HD DTA's first, and we the Engineer's at comcast only want to do things once and not over and over again, but since i am the best it does not really effect me, but i do care about my fellow workers, so that is why i am very concern about this matter!!!!

When Steampix become more available i post that in that Steampix Thread

when i get more information about encryption i post in that no more free stuff thread i think

when i get anything else in my area i post stuff in our Central PA thread!!

P.S. I am sorry for not being here a lot if not at all, for the last few months, because of my level of service that is secret, i was being used to test the Xbox VOD service, and help it get improved, it sucked real bad at first, but is a lot better now, since VOD is the future, for both the Cable box side which is why VOD QAM are behind added and why i am adding them!! and then on the internet side (xbox360) which is one of the reasons we removed almost all of the Premium HD channels and transfer them to VOD so you can watch them online (on any service you want) and xbox360 also, why waste several QAM's on one particular linear signal, when then you can transfer old analog QAM into internet QAM's as in further expansion in DOCSIS 3, so that you have even faster speeds and thus the cycle continues, and repeats over and over again, but by then you use the QAM's to watch then anything you want which will lead to the next transition into ip video, but that will be at least 2015, so i have my work cut out for me all ready for the next few years, so get off my back all ready!!!

sorry for this long write, but when major stuff happen, i will comment about it!!!!!

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
damn dude busy you are, great info though. sorry I kinda started to bitch.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
reply to J Jefferson3
said by J Jefferson3 :

since i am the best it does not really effect me

Get off your high horse Jefferson. CPA is not the best in the region let alone the company. Adding more QAMs doesn't do anything for dynamic commercial adds.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to J Jefferson3
Whats steampix? Is that like MPEG4/AVC streaming media sent through the DOCSIS modem on the aSTB?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by cypherstream:

Whats steampix?

I think "steam"pix is a low-bandwidth VoD service, where all the video is provided only in sepia tone (brown and white)*.

I believe it may be a new, secret project that J Jefferson3 is working on.

* - A variation of "steampunk" (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk) where Victorian technology is applied to modern-day digital cable.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Whats steampix?

It's HOT!

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to J Jefferson3
said by J Jefferson3 :

here is another article that goes into further details from

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-03/no-···-demand/

Now i know people are going to be upset, but we smart people knew that VOD was never meant to be truly free in the first place, so if anyone really wants to complain go over to the avsforums, since no one here wants to hear it!!

Now for some areas in Central pa, we have begun taking down more messages, from the old expanded basic channels that were in Analog!! thus We added more QAM's for VOD in most areas, but that was before the Steampix announcement so those QAM's were open just for Regular VOD, however just in this last week i have come up with plans for all of the Central PA systems for a deciated QAM just for that service alone, which is the reason why it will not be available in the ON Demand system until the summer!!! Plus i also the guy that must do QAM reassessments when our areas starts taking basic analog away later this year, but my area overall is at a stand still because the FCC can not get it act together on it's decision on basic encryption since that has a side effect on then what areas need the HD DTA's first, and we the Engineer's at comcast only want to do things once and not over and over again, but since i am the best it does not really effect me, but i do care about my fellow workers, so that is why i am very concern about this matter!!!!

When Steampix become more available i post that in that Steampix Thread

when i get more information about encryption i post in that no more free stuff thread i think

when i get anything else in my area i post stuff in our Central PA thread!!

P.S. I am sorry for not being here a lot if not at all, for the last few months, because of my level of service that is secret, i was being used to test the Xbox VOD service, and help it get improved, it sucked real bad at first, but is a lot better now, since VOD is the future, for both the Cable box side which is why VOD QAM are behind added and why i am adding them!! and then on the internet side (xbox360) which is one of the reasons we removed almost all of the Premium HD channels and transfer them to VOD so you can watch them online (on any service you want) and xbox360 also, why waste several QAM's on one particular linear signal, when then you can transfer old analog QAM into internet QAM's as in further expansion in DOCSIS 3, so that you have even faster speeds and thus the cycle continues, and repeats over and over again, but by then you use the QAM's to watch then anything you want which will lead to the next transition into ip video, but that will be at least 2015, so i have my work cut out for me all ready for the next few years, so get off my back all ready!!!

sorry for this long write, but when major stuff happen, i will comment about it!!!!!

Im guessing Streampix is going to be using a QAM like a DOCSIS channel?

I know that TWC has its startover/lookback services on QAMs shared with VOD. heck TWC did some major changes in my market last october to open room for more narrowcast QAMs. My node had 4 more VOD QAMs turned up last week:

603MHz
609MHz
615MHz
621MHz

we already had VOD on:
579MHz
585MHz
591MHz
597MHz

I am wondering how Comcast is going to add more HD when they have exhuasted their QAMs out even after basic tier 1 analog removes? SDV coming for short term fixes until 2015? My TWC system is using 24 QAMs for SDV on a 864MHz cable system running motorola boxes with iGuide a28 (DCX series non M boxes and older /Navgator 5.x (only available on DCX-M boxes).

TWC is planning on releasing Startover/lookback on the iGuide boxes in the coming months in 2012 I am assuming this is why my node just got 4 more VOD QAMs as startover/lookback shares QAM capacity with VOD.

oh and did reading get its 7th and 8th VOD QAMs yet?

My TWC system used to be the old Comcast of Texas system cluster before we got traded in the Adelphia deal.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
Does VOD QAM's have to be on consecutive channels? Or can you maybe put 4 here, and then 4 there, etc.. ?

I don't know anything about the Reading system because I moved out of the serviceable area in 2010. From what I can tell Service Electric had 4 VOD QAMs last I could tell, but 8 DOCSIS QAMs.