share rss forum feed

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

Re: Just got my first message from them.

Absolutely. That's ridiculous.

For the FTC:

As I was saying earlier in the thread, for "unlimited" plan customers, AT&T has provided no proof of the accuracy of its internal bandwidth meters, and thus there is no consumer-transparent basis under which this "top 5%" throttling practice is determined and implemented. The FTC needs to investigate this deceptive business practice in which a plan is marketed as "unlimited" but is throttled to the point of useless with no clear criteria based on users who travel frequently from region to region.

AT&T is deceptively marketing an "unlimited" data plan which is throttled to useless speeds based on video evidence. You can point the FTC to this YouTube video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5aEQzTcW0

This also applies to the tiered data offerings: that's another reason to ensure that these meters are accurate. Who's checking this? No one I'll bet... Why would they?

All the more reason for the FTC to make AT&T come clean on this.

As for the FCC:

Select "Deceptive or unlawful advertising or marketing by a communications company (does NOT include Telemarketing)"

You will fill out "Form 2000A - Deceptive or Unlawful Advertising and Promotion Complaint"

The complaint has the same basis as above. AT&T is deceptively marketing an "unlimited" data plan which is throttled to useless speeds based on video evidence. You can point the FCC to the YouTube video above.

You can submit this form online or on paper.

Very simple to do.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Thanks for the help, I knew it was a matter of time until I got one. What I find interesting is when an email showed up as well you can see it says "Domestic Restricted Data Cap data usage = 5131". So I know the 5131 is MB, but the Donestic Restricted Data Cap is a very interesting term for an unlimited account.
Also being told that that average user uses 2 GB the email states I was On the category on average using 12 times the average data use. Wouldn't that be aroun 24 GB?
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Certainly.

AT&T is trying to put one over on you, but they won't get away with it.

Let us know what you hear back from the FTC/FCC