Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whataname

@iauq.com
reply to fifty nine

Re: Too much effort for too little reward

said by fifty nine:

You're talking about staggered streaming of pre-recorded events.

This is live streaming of a live event. Big difference.

It's not easy to pull off something the size of the superbowl. It's not cheap either. Your $7/month Netflix subscription probably won't cover all the costs.

I'm a little confused. I thought there was a major problem with pirates offering this for free? So now pirates that are offering free streams can do it with low enough costs to cover it with advertising alone - but the big companies can't figure it out with even a $7 per month cost?

Something does not compute for me here.

Unless people are talking about replacing the broadcast with internet streams, I am fairly certain a legitimate free stream should be relatively easy to set up and could easily be covered by advertising costs.

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI

The people who post pirated content don't have to pay licensing fees, and accessing live pirated streams is not easy or self-explanatory for the layman, so there is also less bandwidth.

Those sites couldn't do it for free if they had to pay the licensing fees and stream to hundreds of millions of households.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to whataname

said by whataname :

I'm a little confused. I thought there was a major problem with pirates offering this for free? So now pirates that are offering free streams can do it with low enough costs to cover it with advertising alone - but the big companies can't figure it out with even a $7 per month cost?

If I stole a bunch of plasma TVs I can sell them out of the back of a truck for $50 and still make a decent profit.

Likewise, if I steal someone's stream and don't pay licensing fees to the NFL, my profit margin is infinity.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by fifty nine:

said by whataname :

If I stole a bunch of plasma TVs I can sell them out of the back of a truck for $50 and still make a decent profit.

Likewise, if I steal someone's stream and don't pay licensing fees to the NFL, my profit margin is infinity.

They already paid the NFL for broadcast rights, there are no additional licensing costs to show the Superbowl. Each network gets it in turn.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......