how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

malocite

join:2004-05-24
Hamilton, ON

New Price Plans and Unmetered Times

Teksavvy are offering in their new plans an unmetered time between 2 and 8 am. Is anyone else doing this? I'm looking to switch to another provider.

Cable ITis

@videotron.ca
Acanac is throttling at Peak times.

Ebox is doing the same as Teksavvy (except unmetered is 4 hours more).

Go cable.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
ISPs do not have reliable means of accessing usage information from their customers DOCIS modems in real time. So they cannot offer peak and offpeak usage. (or unlimited downloads for off peak).

For cable, the usage information is collected by the modem.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia

join:2011-11-22
canada
reply to malocite
said by malocite:

Teksavvy are offering in their new plans an unmetered time between 2 and 8 am. Is anyone else doing this? I'm looking to switch to another provider.

Distributel still has unlimited data on both their DSL and Cable internet services.

priyen

join:2009-12-23
North York, ON
reply to Cable ITis
Throttling is a bit misleading in this case. Acanac is rate limiting, throttling would imply slowing down specific traffic

Eg. 16Mbps -> 8Mbps.
Not a specific type of a traffic

decranez

join:2010-08-22
Gatineau, Qc
Reviews:
·gemstelecom
said by priyen:

Throttling is a bit misleading in this case. Acanac is rate limiting, throttling would imply slowing down specific traffic

throttling means throttling. Check dictionary.com and wikipedia. It is in no way limited to a specific kind of traffic or protocol. That's just how Bell applies it.

flafson

join:2003-10-04
Thornhill, ON
Which is why it's not throttling.
We been using the term throttling to explain what Bell applies.
It's clearly not what Acanac applies and since the term is known in public as a relation to Bell, it should be called something else.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
reply to decranez
No matter if you call it throttling or something else it's still much better than what Bell was doing because it is non-discriminatory, based on needs, and much faster.

decranez

Gatineau, Qc
Reviews:
·gemstelecom
it's better on some levels, because it's applied more intelligently.

If you torrent a lot, sure, getting 3mbps is better than 30kbps. But you can let your torrents run at 2am and watch them the next day anyway.

But if you stream a lot of HD, losing half your bandwidth everytime you want to watch something is frustrating. I am not up at 2am to stream.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think Acanac was quite smart in trying to come up with an offering that would really set them apart from the competition. Only time will tell if it was a profitable move. it's not for me (although I am still waiting to see the cable side of it), but no doubt it will fit others.

But throttling means choking, and that is what Acanac will do, choke your connection.

Of course, for marketing purposes, they don't want to use that term, but it is what is it.

It might get really ironic when Acanac starts complaining and going after customers who design ways to escape the throttling, since Acanac offers ways for its customers to evade the throttling Bell is imposing on everyone.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
What acanac is doing is equivalent to reducing your modem's speed during certain time of day.

They are. Not attempting to block any traffic.

The meaning of 'throttling' have changed since deployment of DPI equipment. So one has to respect the current pejorative meaning of throttling. And based on that, what acanac is doing isn't throttling.

Whether they would fall unde ITMP rules is a good question though.

um no

@videotron.ca
said by jfmezei:

The meaning of 'throttling' have changed since deployment of DPI equipment. So one has to respect the current pejorative meaning of throttling. And based on that, what acanac is doing isn't throttling.

Um, no.

What Acanac is doing *is* throttling.

What they are not doing (yet) is discriminating based on content.

In regards to Bell, Bell throttled based on content. This is traffic throttling based on content or discrimination. In many cases, and as reported in the Bell forum & Bell's own forum when it existed, Bell's throttle malfunctioned and throttled an entire line (as Acanac is doing).

Sorry, you are wrong JF. This is a throttle no matter how much anyone wants to make up their own definition.

more4u

@videotron.ca
Matter of fact, this is how neutrality got started in Canada at the CRTC. There is throttling a whole line and there is throttle based on discrimination.

One is deemed "data-neutral", while the other is not. However, it is still a throttle.

NoThrottle

@nexicom.net
reply to um no
I don't see how you call it throttle

Let see if your house near CO and able to get maximum Bell 25/7 speed

1) You decide to buy only 6Mbps ==> what you're saying Bell throttle your speed to 6Mbps ==> No because Bell is selling 6Mbps plan and you decide to buy it.

2) You decide to buy only 16Mbps ==> same thing Bell not throttle your speed to 16Mbps because it is 16Mbps plan

3) Same with Acanac, if they clearly say they offer a plan 6Mbps from 12AM-7PM and 3Mbps on peak time ==> same like Bell, they're not throttle you from 25Mbps to 6Mbps or 3Mbps because that is their offer plan.

QuackQuack

@videotron.ca
It's a throttle. I would suggest people look up the definitions and also the different types of throttle that exists.

flafson

Thornhill, ON
This is from Webster:
a valve for regulating the supply of a fluid (as steam) to an engine; especially : the valve controlling the volume of vaporized fuel charge delivered to the cylinders of an internal combustion engine.

By that definition, if Bell could magically give you 10MB but you are paying and getting 25mb then that's also a throttle, whether they touch anything or not.

Which means, all this dictionary claims are null.
For the past few years when we said "throttle" the meaning was Bell is tempering with our traffic and we weren't getting what we were paying for.
Acanac's peak hour cap is exactly what you pay for. You pay for 16mb for 20 hours of the day and 8-12mb for the other 4 hours.
You pay for that and you get that, there is no throttle in the sense that we were used to.

You can also claim that your cell phone is being throttled because when you text msg someone, it might not get there right away but suffer some kind of throttle that will cause a few seconds delay.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia

join:2011-11-22
canada
reply to QuackQuack
said by QuackQuack :

It's a throttle. I would suggest people look up the definitions and also the different types of throttle that exists.

I would have to go with the others here. While the strict dictionary meaning of throttling applies to Acanac and any other ISP that restricts data flow in any way, the context in which it is being used relative to what Bell and Rogers does, is not the same. This brings back old memories of dial-up plans that allowed "free" data during off-peak hours (this is not a new concept ya know). Personally, I would prefer to pay another $10/mth and not be throttled or restricted in any way, but that's just me.

YMMV.

priyen

North York, ON
reply to QuackQuack
If you take throttling in the sense of slowing down a connection, then technically your modem is throttling you because it has a limit to what speed it can get. Thus, everything is throttled if you literally take the definition of throttle and apply it to internet connections anywhere.

Then every isp is throttling you to your package speed

decranez

Gatineau, Qc
Reviews:
·gemstelecom
reply to malocite
I see a difference between the set capacity or rate of your connection (even if it is arbitrarily and artificially set by your modem or whatnot ), and the temporary and dynamic choking of that capacity, ie. throttling.

Throttling means choking off your connection to avoid congestion. It is not changing the set rate of the connection. (I would think, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that throttling requires different equipment than what is specifically used to set the rate of a connection - 6, 10, 16, etc.)

said by jfmezei:

Whether they would fall unde ITMP rules is a good question though.

that's an interesting point. Does the ITMP regulations apply to IISPs too, or only incumbents?
Given what I understand of those regulations, I would say Acanac is applying an ITMP just like the CRTC wants them: explicit, transparent and neutral.

@flafson: we are talking about throttling (verb), not a throttle (noun).

flafson

Thornhill, ON
It doesn't really matter, it's the same thing in here.

By definition, any time that the provider is holding back on you is a throttle.

In our case, you paid to Bell to deliver X and when they like they delivered Y, that is what we called throttle.
In Acanac's case you are going to pay for X and get X, it is part of your profile speed that in a non non-discriminating way during peak hours, your max speed is capped for a few hours.

That's to me a valid structure because you have a choice of whether you like this model or not, in the long run the free market will decide if this was a good concept or not.

BTW, i've never seen anyone come up with this concept before Acanac did so, credit where credit due.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to jfmezei
>What acanac is doing is equivalent to reducing your modem's speed during certain time of day.

What they are doing is managing the bandwidth allocation to stretch the amount of users they can have on their links. In another word, they are simply not upgrading their links as much as the users want.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
Yes they are upgrading their links as much as the users want. They won't have congestion.
It just happens that the users subscribing to their services will all agree to have their speed lowered at times of the day.
If they don't, they will choose an other ISP.

Bell, on the other hand, started throttling without notice, in the middle of contracts. Acanac waits on renewal at least.

Acanac could keep everyone at full speed and get congestion instead. You wouldn't call it throttle but it would be even worse as it wouldn't be fair for all users. Or they could purchase more links and charge much more, and become a clone of other independant ISPs.

priyen

North York, ON
reply to Ott_Cable
I highly recomenned you read the new CRTC tariffs. Then you'll understand why something like this is neccesary, or higher prices.

Let me sum it up for you:
it costs more to deliver what costed less before

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by priyen:

Correction. It costs the same, perhaps even less. The incumbents are just exploiting it to charge more, so it costs more.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

The Truth

@videotron.ca
reply to priyen
said by priyen:

Let me properly sum it up for you, Line by line.

#.## + #.## + .## = #####.##

k?

priyen

North York, ON
reply to HiVolt
o.o didn't i say that? Maybe i shoud've added the word ISP in between to and deliver

"it costs more for the ISP to deliver what costed less before"

@ The Truth, the truth is your post is useless

The Truth

@videotron.ca
said by priyen:

@ The Truth, the truth is your post is useless

And that is the truth that raised everyone's cost. Believe it or not.