Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fuzzy Dunlop

join:2011-02-07
Toronto, ON
reply to sbrook

Re: [Extreme] Using Moto SB5100 with Rogers Extreme

An update to my earlier post about Robbers High Speed Extreme Internet and DOCSIS 2 modems:

I phoned Robbers CS yesterday to request a credit to my account and to downgrade my Extreme service to Express. I was transferred to Billing, who told me it was a Tech Support issue, who transferred me to Tech Support, who then told me it was a Billing issue, then told me to visit Robbers Plus to have the matter resolved.

Drove to Robbers Plus today, who told me they couldn't do anything. I demanded they call Robbers CS from the store. Robbers CS refused to talk to me or even transfer me to a supervisor because I had forgotten my Rogers PIN at home – even though I was standing in their store with government photo ID matching the primary account holder! The Robbers Plus rep eventually talked the CSR person into dealing with me, only to tell me that Tech Support could not handle my request, and again(!) transferring me to Billing, who then transferred me to Customer Relations! Confused yet?

Customer Relations guy's demeanour varied between curtness and sarcasm. He admitted I was put on a grandfathered Extreme plan, at the same rate as new Extreme Plus customers (whose download speeds are 10mbps faster than mine), arguing that mine was a better deal because I didn't have to pay the modem rental fee (because I had already purchased my DOCSIS 2!). I said I thought their policy of treating newer customers better than old ones sucked and that I was thinking about switching ISPs.

He refused to offer a credit to my account or give me a new modem, and instead offered me a "promotion": $40/month off my Robbers bill for the next 2 years, provided I enter into an unwritten contract with Robbers CSR. I repeated my demand for a $199 credit (the value of the DOCSIS 3 modem), and emphasized that I thought it more than fair given the circumstances. His response, verbatim:

"I've been working in Customer Relations for 3 years and I don't know of anyone in our department who would consider what you're asking for 'fair.'"
My response:

I think you've been working in the wrong department. I want my Internet service downgraded from Extreme to Express effective immediately. I will be cancelling my Rogers Internet and switching to TekSavvy as of the end of the month. Goodbye.
I've been a Rogers customer for 20 years, yet I feel oddly relieved by this experience. Robbers treated me badly, but it's driven me to dump them for service provider with a moral compass (TekSavvy). And that's a good thing.

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON

said by Fuzzy Dunlop:

I've been a Rogers customer for 20 years, yet I feel oddly relieved by this experience. Robbers treated me badly, but it's driven me to dump them for service provider with a moral compass (TekSavvy). And that's a good thing.

Welcome to the "I dumped Rogers" camp.

The weird thing about your request for a credit is that it's less than ONE FOURTH of his offer of $40/mth off ($960). I guess his math isn't very good and he didn't realize that your basic request is a much better deal for Rogers. DUH.

Oh well...looks good on them...

Fuzzy Dunlop

join:2011-02-07
Toronto, ON

1 edit

said by bfksc :

The weird thing about your request for a credit is that it's less than ONE FOURTH of his offer of $40/mth off ($960). I guess his math isn't very good and he didn't realize that your basic request is a much better deal for Rogers. DUH.

You would think that. However I've read enough horror stories from Robbers customers who've entered into similar unwritten contracts only to have them reneged upon that I know better than agree to any "promotional offers". I believe this guy said it best:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4