uniqs
Mattftlaud3
Premium Member
join:2012-02-07
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

Ft Lauderdale connectivity issues???

Anyone else in Ft Lauderdale having connectivity issues?

I have the 2Wire 2701hgb gateway. About once every 20-30minutes the internet light on the gateway/modem will turn red and i will lose internet. My aol will sign off....yahoo messenger sign off for about 20 seconds then right back up. DSL light solid green the entire time. This started happening yesterday morning the 6th when it poured down rain. And it's been on and off rain ever since. Could be a coincedence.

I've done every sort of trouble shooting i can. I've tried an older Westell dsl modem (non router) ....same thing drops internet every 20-30minutes. Also have a Netgear Router/Dsl modem combo same issues with that so i eliminated it's my 2Wire modem.

I tested connection on my other two jacks in my apartment and same issues. Also used different phone line cables. Drops connection once every 20-30minutes or so. It's funny though at times it can go like 2hrs without any issues then it starts happening fast and furious.

I've called ATT support they report no outages. Tech agent talked to network engineer he saw that i was having drops but said my dsl signal was strong. They are sending out a tech on Thursday.

It's funny this same exact thing has happened several times before and i distinctly remember back in 2010 it took ATT 3 days to figure out there was an actual outage of 5000 people. Some local engineer called me and said it was a "DSLAM" issue or Synch No Surf.

The problem is the connection drops and comes back up so fast (within 20-30 seconds) so the average internet user isnt going to notice. I asked ATT how they start an outage report and they told me the only way is if enough people call in and report problems. That ridiculous! Dont they have systems monitoring their network and customers down the line and have some kind of alert when something goes wrong? Well that's what i asked them and she told me unless it's a MAJOR outage affecting an entire region no they cant tell if a single neighborhood or multiple neighborhoods in a city are out unless enough people call in and report it. I just simply cannot believe that.
Mattftlaud3

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

Hmm guess no one. I posted this thread with more details and my contact info in the ATT direct area but no one ever got back to me. Does it take some time to get a response from someone in the Direct threads?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

It can take up to 3 days before you get a response to a post in the att direct forum
Mattftlaud3
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

thanks
JGMACK
join:2002-04-20
Hollywood, FL

JGMACK to Mattftlaud3

to Mattftlaud3
I am nearby in Hollywood, and the same thing happens to me in rainy weather. Has done for a long time.
Mattftlaud3
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

So you too. Tech support kinda acted like i was just nuts when i mentioned to them it seems like everytime it rains i get this drop connection problem. Well no rain today and i havent had a drop in 12hrs.

So did u have any issues monday or tuesday? The problem is the drops happen so fast so most people dont notice them and call in the issue to tech support.

I wonder why when it rains this happens? I though all phone lines were underground. Guess some equipment must be exposed.
steveatl
join:2007-07-06
Decatur, GA

steveatl

Everything is not necessarily underground between you and the CO.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to Mattftlaud3

MVM

to Mattftlaud3
said by Mattftlaud3:

I wonder why when it rains this happens? I though all phone lines were underground. Guess some equipment must be exposed.

I remember someone posting that they had the same problem. It was traced to spider webs in the NID that got damp when it rained and caused a near short on the line.
Mattftlaud3
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

Yah sure enough it rained around 8am this morning and had a couple of dropouts this morning early. The rain has got to be the issue.
countscabula
join:2010-03-09

countscabula to Mattftlaud3

to Mattftlaud3
I'm glad you don't believe that. There is a monitoring center staffed 24/7/365 watching every element in the network. The only thing they wouldn't see is a major cable cut between the RT and the homes (DSLAM is running fine). That DOES trigger another level of response based on cust reports like you said. But the DSLAMs/ATMs/etc. are under constant surveillance and the surveillors are being surveilled (I either butchered the spelling or completely made up a word there).
Mattftlaud3
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattftlaud3

Premium Member

Then why back in 2010 when there was an DSLAM outage they were unaware of it for 3 days??

....I was calling in for 2 days and they kept telling me nothing was wrong and i had finally scheduled a tech to come out but then the next day some local nework/engineer guy called me and said they finally realized 5000 people were having issues and he said it was a DSLAM issue. Ok so if they have equipment to monitor DSLAM issue why did it take them 3 days back in 2010 to figure out there was a DSLAM issue ......and 5000 people isnt a small number of people. They even told me that when people's dropouts happened they were so fast alot of people didnt notice. It finally started getting worse so more people noticed and called in and that's when they realized there was a problem That's exactly what the local engineer told me.
countscabula
join:2010-03-09

countscabula

When are you guys going to learn people can and will say anything without knowing crap about what their talking about. Your "local engineer" is on the construction side of the business. He knows little about the network operations side of the house. Field techs know even less about the big picture than he does. There are some things that can go undetected especially if you work on that ethernet FITL ridiculousness. It has poor network monitoring capabilities. Even the old POTS network has been monitored, you think the DSL network wouldnt be? Every new telecom network evolution allows an even higher level of monitoring.

jackoffjill
@windstream.net

jackoffjill

Anon

That's because nobody cares any more.How many time's have they tried to get you off the line when you call in ? att wants their reps to have the shortest call possible.Higher numbers better bonus.
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

Now here is where I will agree with CountScabula. To understand the process, you would have to work "inside"...When you call a person on the phone, its not like they are getting up, walking down the hall and looking at the equipment. They don't, in most cases have any other way to even contact anyone in your local office by any way other than online message.

For Lauderdale, you are most likely getting a call center in Atlanta, Birmingham, or the Carolinas and even further west as the day gets later. All that representative can do is put in a trouble ticket and send it down the line. It's not that he doesn't care, its that he is doing everything within his power to solve your problem in the 3 and a half minutes he is allows to be with you on the phone. Once that ticket is submitted, he never sees it again, its not even his responsibility in most cases to even follow up on it (There's a team for that too.)...That ticket goes to the NOC (National Operations Centers), where its investigated to see if it fits in with a pattern of known outages, then from there deployed out to what ever department needs to take care of it whether it be repair, engineering, or other. Each stop is a click of the mouse.

There are automated systems in the NOC architecture that constantly scan and monitor related systems and any outage that the system deems "out of the ordinary" will trigger an on-screen alarm. Most of the time as you said, the normal consumer does not even notice the mini drops in signal. Alot of times the people monitoring the systems in the NOC are in the same boat, by the time they get the alarm, and investigate, the system has self healed and the alarm goes away. You can't fix it if you don't see it broken.

I am a bit defensive here because I spent 7 years in call centers (never for AT&T but some in cellular and landline communications) both in representative and Lead positions and no one can ever say I didn't care, or do everything I was appropriated to do on that call.

No NOC
@big-netoffers.com

No NOC

Anon

said by cubguy:

That ticket goes to the NOC (National Operations Centers), where its investigated to see if it fits in with a pattern of known outages, then from there deployed out to what ever department needs to take care of it whether it be repair, engineering, or other.

Nice story, but there is one little problem with it and that is AT&T doesn’t utilize a NOC for DSL, as such I doubt you have any idea of how AT&T actually handles monitoring their DSLAM’s.
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy

A different company for me. As I said "in most cases"....You would think that most communications companies would utilize some form of NOC architecture whether it be in the form of National, Regional, or District to auto monitor and self-heal their systems, cause you know there isn't anyone home at the local office after hours sitting there watching the computer....The rest of the post still applies though as the front end call processor "generally" has no control over the traffic of the trouble ticket once it leaves his hands.