Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Forums (Ad-Hoc) for more Canadian ISPs

This is the same 'Member-Submitted List' from which Moderator State generously created a new web page »Canadian Broadband FAQ »Canadian ad-hoc forum listings.

For the new Easy to Find links, please check out on the main CBB forum page, just above the topic bar, following the question :
"Looking for an ISP not listed ?"

Acanac : »Acanac »community.acanac.com/acanac/ »www.acanac.com/
AEI : »AEI Internet »web.aei.ca/english.shtml
B2B2C : »B2B2C High-Speed Internet »www.b2b2c.ca/
Bruce Telecom (DSL and FTTH) : »Bruce Telecom »www.brucetelecom.com/
Caneris : »Caneris »www.caneris.com/
CFB Pet Net (WISP on military base) : »CFB Pet Net »www.psppetawawa.com/wifi.cfm
Colbanet : »Colbanet »www.colba.net/
Compton Communications : »Compton Communications »www.powergate.ca/
Distributel (DSL & Cable) : »Distributel »www.distributel.ca/en/index.aspx
Eastlink : »Eastlink Cable »www.eastlink.ca/
eBox : »Ebox »www.electronicbox.net/
GorillaNET (WISP) : »gorillanet.ca/ - Rural ON (No DSLR AD-HOC forum)
Iktel : »ikTel Networks »www.iktel.ca/ - Cogeco Niagara partner/reseller
MNSi : »MNSi »www.mnsi.net/
Mornington Communications : »Mornington Communications »www.mornington.ca/
Mountain Cable : »Mountain Cable »www.mountaincable.net/ (bought by Shaw) - Hamilton Mountain
MTS (Allstream) : »MTS »www.mts.mb.ca/internet/i ··· dex.html »www.mts.ca/portal/site/m ··· a8c0RCRD
Nexicom : »Nexicom »www.nexicom.net/
Novus : »Novus Entertainment Inc »www.novusnow.ca/ - Vancouver
PrimusTel : »Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. »www.primustel.ca/
Radioactif : »Radioactif »www.radioactif.com/
RipNET (DSL & WISP) : »RipNet »www.ripnet.com/ - Eastern ON (bought by Xplornet in 2011)
SaskTel : »SaskTel Saskatchewan »SaskTel »www.sasktel.com/
Storm Internet (DSL & WISP) : »Storm Internet »www.storm.ca/ - Eastern ON
Telnet Communications : »Telnet Communications »www.telnetcommunications.com/en/
Velcom : »Velcom »www.velcom.ca/
ViF : »VIF Internet »wiki.vif.com/dokuwiki/do ··· :resadsl
WaveDirect (WISP) : »WAVEDIRECT »www.wavedirect.net/ (GBU rates them as Good)
Wightman Telecom (FTTH & DSL) : »Wightman Telecom »www.wightman.ca/index.php
Xplornet (WISP) : »Xplornet »www.xplornet.com/index.aspx
Yak Communications : »Yak Communications »www.yak.com/index.aspx?i ··· 26&lg=en
YouMano : »YOUMANO »youmano.com/
ZiD Internet : »ZiD Internet »www.zid.com/

======================

Any DSLR AD-HOC forums are linked, to the right of the ISP name, followed by external websites, further to the right.

This list is posted in another (Forum Feature Requests) forum too.

======================
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: LIST of Canadian ISPs

EDIT : The TASK is COMPLETE !

Many thanks to Moderator State and Moderator Fatness for their help and encouragement in constructing the list and new web page »Canadian Broadband FAQ »Canadian ad-hoc forum listings , as well as for directions to resource pages which we could not find, but which ARE a part of this site.

================================================

The purpose of this thread is to gather a CURRENT list of Canadian ISPs which do NOT have their own forum in the MAIN Menu »Canadian of the Canadian ISPs page of DSLR/BBR, but who already DO have ad-hoc forums on the site.

This plan is based on a counter-proposal by 2 Moderators to a member's idea of starting a NEW Official forum for one of the Independent ISPs (IISPs).

There are more details of that discussion in these few posts of the below-linked thread :

»Re: [new forum] Request for a new forum

What info is needed is :

(1) The proper business name by which the ISP is known,

(2) The existing AD-HOC forum URL for them on DSLR,

(3) A working website URL for their customers,

(4) The names of the City and Province where they are based.

PLEASE post them BELOW these posts.

Links to other lists may be OK, if you are sure that the keeper of the list has an active website themself, where the list is kept and maintained.

Hopefully this will result in an easy-access list or a pull-down, where the submitted AD-HOC forums can be reached, from THIS (Canadian Broadband, if I understand correctly) forum.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

[Place-Holder Post]
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Some companies may be on these pages :

»/forums/all
Then click AD-HOC button

From AD_HOC page, you can also click
»Old Forums
for some more

Some ISPs may already have an Ad-Hoc forum but do not have a link on the Ad-Hoc page, if I understand correctly.

Electronic Box, of Sherbrooke, QC »www.electronicbox.net (aka 'eBox') may be one of those, whose DSLR AD-HOC forum link is »Ebox , was posted in a thread today, but I cannot seem to find it on the above-linked pages.

Does anyone know of others like that ?

Those are mostly what is needed to construct this list/menu.

EDIT : Here is a better link : »/isplist?c=ca

Thanks to Fatness for the link !

Do not click on the 'By Letter' links or else the US ISPs for that letter will be included too.

Here's another :

»Acanac
Velix
join:2007-06-08
La Prairie, QC

Velix to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
cross checking the list of isp's here
»www.canadianisp.ca/
with the ones in the ad-hoc forums would be a good start.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Since it seems that a complete list of Ad-Hoc forums is not on an active page at DSLR (correct me please if I'm wrong), or redirects to somewhere else on this site, we must rely on folks who just HAPPEN to know the direct URL to the AD-HOC forum for any ISP which is being suggested/posted.

Anyone/Everyone/Someone PLEASE HELP with this !

HOW do I make the Company List actively display, with the Company by Letter pages ? (This is when the redirects happen.)

Am I missing something really obvious ? (worthy of forehead slap)

EDIT : Here is a better link : »/isplist?c=ca

Thanks to Fatness for the link !

Do not click on the 'By Letter' links or else the US ISPs for that letter will be included too.

Eyesore
@videotron.ca

Eyesore

Anon

Ah, I replied to that on the other forum, "Forum Feature Requests".

There is likely a couple I missed, like b2b etc. I can add those later. I didn't bother adding the resellers who resell for wholesale (ie NCF, MontrealDSL etc). I don't think we need to bother with the resellers of the resellers.

Or do we?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

[Place-Holder Post]

End It
@videotron.ca

End It

Anon

Re: Draft LIST of Canadian ISPs

I would ask for no more additions. Just give it to the boss, lock it up and write on it that it will only be revised one day in 2013, maybe.

Otherwise the mod is going to be bugged by every mickey mouse ISP out there looking to have their name added.

Like Westsavvy: »TSI resellers suck

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere

Might I suggest for your consideration.

Telnet Communications (The inheritors of Look.ca customers)

Look.ca had an ad hoc forum but I see no such listing for Telnet

»www.telnetcommunications.com/en/ The company's website url

Based in Oshawa ON

Members of CNOC

And woefully underrepresented on this website.

End It
@videotron.ca

End It to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere

Re: Draft LIST of Canadian ISPs

said by Davesnothere:

Novus : »Novis & »Novus Entertainment Inc (BC and Toronto specific areas only)

I made a mistake with Novus. The first link can be deleted It's wrong. and the company name isn't the same.

Novus Entertainment Inc is the correct link.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to End It

Premium Member

to End It
said by End It :

I would ask for no more additions....

It could be simply posted with my top comments removed (or changed to some more appropriate), into a stickied thread in the CBB forum, and if anyone feels that we've missed someone important, and/or that someone grew a lot by later on, they could just post the company name and external website link below.

It would be a lot more than we had yesterday, and I've seen plenty of such info pages done that way.

We did one over in the VoIP Tech Chat forum for Number portability lookup links a while ago, but we never got it stickied - However it functioned same way, with the long cleanly written primary list at the top of the thread.

If State is game for such an arrangement, and maybe an extra link or two into the thread from elsewhere on the page, I'd say we did something good.

aaaaah
@videotron.ca

aaaaah to lugnut

Anon

to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Telnet Communications (The inheritors of Look.ca customers)

ah yeah. Can't say we ever see them around or hear of that at all though. It's up there with CFB Pet-Net.

But, seeing as how telnet's owner is the leg breaker over at CNOC, I won't be the one to say nay

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Novus is fixed.

What should we put for URL for Telnet ?

Gorilla
@videotron.ca

Gorilla

Anon

said by Davesnothere:

Novus is fixed.

What should we put for URL for Telnet ?

Just write the same thing as done for GorillaNET

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to aaaaah

Premium Member

to aaaaah
said by aaaaah :

But, seeing as how telnet's owner is the leg breaker over at CNOC, I won't be the one to say nay

HeHeHe
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

CNOC has some crackerjack lawyers on their team too, by the looks of recent submissions o the CRTC.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

When you find a prize in a box of " Crackerjacks " there is no need to report it on your income tax return.

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Don't forget Zid Internet. I once used them and they were ok. I was just informed that they also will be coming out with new prices shortly, based on the new rates.

»www.zid.com/

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by SHY:

Don't forget Zid Internet. I once used them and they were ok. I was just informed that they also will be coming out with new prices shortly, based on the new rates.

»www.zid.com/

Has anyone reviewed them on DSLR ?

Would YOU be willing to ?

If anyone DOES, I think that the ISP will be assigned an 'AD-HOC' forum number on DSLR (MODs please correct me if that is wrong), which is what this list was original trying to do, to bring those 'secondary' forums into easier view so that folks might post in them.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

No reviews yet, but they do have an ad-hoc forum here: »ZiD Internet

You're correct in the manner that they're created though. A review comes in for a new company, if the company doesn't exist a vendor page is created for it. In turn, that creates the ad-hoc board.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by state:

No reviews yet, but they do have an ad-hoc forum here: »ZiD Internet ....

Thanks - will incorporate into 'Short-List'.

OK, wait a minute - how did you find that ?

Or did you just create it right now ?

And any chance that there are forum codes for 3 or 4 others which we did not have ?

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by Davesnothere:

No, it was there all along. But I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

Additionally we have these also (both idle):

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing?

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
I love the way all these Ad Hocs are popping up all over the place. Thanks to everyone involved for all the work.
SHY

SHY to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

said by Davesnothere:

No, it was there all along. But I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing?

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies. At least I cannot find them. Will they be added to the rolodex, or will you be linking them another way?

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies.

There's been a little "funkiness" with the rolodex recently, let me try something and we'll see if they show up.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Don't know if this list is complete

»canadianisp.ca/

dormant cell
@videotron.ca

dormant cell to SHY

Anon

to SHY
said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies. At least I cannot find them. Will they be added to the rolodex, or will you be linking them another way?

I klnow of a few more. But do you really want to add more names/forums even if they are idle? I didn't add the ones in the list that no one really mentions.

Example: Skynet. Only the owner uses it. Gemstelecom, only the owner uses it. and there are a couple more like Omicrom and and such.

But these are "isp's" that no one uses here.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

....I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing ?

Thanks

I'll add them as we already have the ISPs in the current version of the 'Short-List'.

Does GorillaNET have an ad-hoc ?

DISTRIBUTEL is large as or larger than Teksavvy now, but all we can find is their VoIP forum.

Do/can they have an ISP ad-hoc too ?

That may be about it for what's on the list right now.
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for ZiD do not show up in the rolodex of companies.

There's been a little "funkiness" with the rolodex recently, let me try something and we'll see if they show up.

AS comprehensive as the ISP Rolodex is, it has many more entries than we had hoped to include (some outdated or otherwise less imortant), yet it is missing some which we DO have on our 'Short-List'.

FUNKY is a well chosen descriptor. (One of my fave MUSIC genres)

The whole situation has a bit of a Catch-22 feel to it, as some will say "Well nobody POSTS in such and such an ad-hoc forum, so why should it be on a Short-List ?"

Others will reply "Nobody can FIND that particular forum, and if they easily COULD, they might well POST there."

Both perspectives are correct, up to a point.

MY vision (and some others here, I'm sure) was to have a method of reaching perhaps a couple of dozen more forums without upsetting the status quo of the 'Officially Listed' forums menu page - a sort of 'INTERMEDIATE' status for some forums.

We had some ideas which centred around a tighter list of recently active ISPs who mostly do have ad-hoc forums here, and were hoping to propose to post a version of my 'Short-List' post into the CBB forum page, possibly as a new Stickied thread, or to not sticky it but instead make another link to it, similar to what you already created for the big list, maybe just to the right of your link....

This link could read something like : Prefer 'Short-List' ? Click HERE !

That would be simple, much more visible than what we had before yesterday, and would not upset any existing pages.

A decent middle ground, as I see it.

BTW, I just got thru testing every link on the Short-List - found and fixed a few clunkers too.