spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

theGman

@comcast.net

[DVR] No more "Copy to VCR" after software update

This sucks. I used the Copy to VCR a lot when the box was getting full. Now it is gone.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

For more information about the new guide and missing features click the following link:

»Re: [DVR] HD DVR fuctionality changed after switch to XFinity

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to theGman

said by theGman :

This sucks. I used the Copy to VCR a lot when the box was getting full.

What is this "VCR" you speak of?

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to theGman

Yea what's this VCR device?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to theGman

You can still copy to VCR, but it cannot be done in the 'background' like it did with the older SA software. You have the play it in the foreground while recording.

theGman

@comcast.net

said by andyross:

You can still copy to VCR, but it cannot be done in the 'background' like it did with the older SA software. You have the play it in the foreground while recording.

Yeah, I figured that out. Still seems like a lost feature. I wouldn't have to do it if they offered bigger drives in these. Comcast said maybe a Motorola 8000 would work better for me. I have no idea if it can do what my 8300HD does, so I will have to research that.

theGman

@comcast.net
reply to bohratom

While the feature was called "Copy to VCR" I actually copied to DVD!

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to theGman

never heard of a motorola 8000. Sounds like someone made it up to me.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

1 edit

Probably a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8000..... those are fairly old if I recall correctly.

EDIT: found a manual online with a copyright date of 2003.

»www.scientificatlanta.com/Explor···771B.pdf

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to theGman

said by theGman :

said by andyross:

Yeah, I figured that out. Still seems like a lost feature. I wouldn't have to do it if they offered bigger drives in these. Comcast said maybe a Motorola 8000 would work better for me. I have no idea if it can do what my 8300HD does, so I will have to research that.

The Copy to VCR is one of the lost features.

A Motorola STB can not be used in a SA/Cisco market.

You can try to get a Cisco RNG 200-N DVR which has a 500 gb hard drive. Comcast is rolling out On-Screen Guide 2.0 (more advanced than the guide you just got), but it currently is only offerred in 6 states and currently requires AnyRoom DVR functionality.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

theGman

@comcast.net
reply to theGman

I had to call Comcast last night because I completely lost the DVR function on one of my boxes. Of course they needed the SN and I had to dismantle the Home Theater system to get to the back of it.

I know how to get into the diagnostic screen of the 8300HD. Is the SN available on one of the 33 screens? Sure would have been easier.

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to andyross

quote:

Wow. First no PIP, now this.

Even the most primitive VCRs from the early 80s would pass-thru (bypass via RF) while you were dubbing off VHS-to-VHS, if you wanted. (And they had removable media, to boot.)

I think it's funny when Comcast lovers belittle "primitive" technology like VHS.

Maddy

@comcast.net
reply to theGman

Well considering that the 8300HD is a Scientific Atlanta piece of equipment with a 160GB hard drive, there is no Motorola 8000, and the Scientific Atlanta 8000 also has a 160GB hard drive, I don't think there would be much difference. You're best bet is to check out the RNG 200N which has a 500GB hard drive and/or using a DVR extender which uses a 1TB hard drive.