spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Vulcan
join:2011-01-15
Edmonton, AB

Vulcan

[AB] Optik TV to go

I tried the new Optik TV to go app for my iPad. It lets you stream movies to your iPad over wifi if you are a Optik customer. The video quality was great but the current selection of movies is very limited and it does not have any streaming TV channels (I would like to watch the news on my lunch break etc). I would rate this as a promising new technology that will be great once more content is added.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

agreed... it's new
As more networks sign on it will improve
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to Vulcan

to Vulcan
said by Vulcan:

I tried the new Optik TV to go app for my iPad. It lets you stream movies to your iPad over wifi if you are a Optik customer. The video quality was great but the current selection of movies is very limited and it does not have any streaming TV channels (I would like to watch the news on my lunch break etc). I would rate this as a promising new technology that will be great once more content is added.

Optik TV to go is on what we called a "Soft launch". TELUS is well aware of the lack of content for now. We are very very busy encoding new content. It very challenging to encode and support all the platform we do and maintain the same level of performance.

On top of that, Licensing for streaming content is not the same as the TV license. We have to have new license agreement for the Optik TV to go.

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna to Vulcan

to Vulcan
I would really love to see streaming of canuck games onto my phone
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to Vulcan

to Vulcan
I'd like to be able to watch from my PC when I'm at home.

BranFlakes
@74.198.150.x

BranFlakes

Anon

You can watch from PC with Shaw for a few years now. It's good that Telus is finally catching up this is where owning content comes into play a) to use and b) to leverage. Telus needs those content deals badly with 6 times less HD VOD to choose from and 25 times less SD to pick from content wise compared to Shaw.

According to British Telecom this was the reason they dumped Mediaroom last week as the back end couldnt leverage their VOD assets. A recognized flaw.

I hope that both Telus and Shaw get on the live tv game as ynohtna said would be nice to catch a game live on a cell.

Patman023
Ex-TELUS employee, Ubuntu Lover
join:2009-03-01
Edmonton, AB

Patman023

wow, you're a walking shaw advertisement...

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to BranFlakes

Premium Member

to BranFlakes
said by BranFlakes :

You can watch from PC with Shaw for a few years now.

How? I had Shaw a "few years ago" and couldn't watch from the PC, only stream their limited Galaxie Music.

BranFlakes
@74.198.150.x

BranFlakes

Anon

Shaw's player was launched the same week Optik was born, ok so just under 2 yrs ago lead the way innovatively. »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Works great from anywhere.

tudorwise
@telus.net

tudorwise

Anon

said by BranFlakes :

Shaw's player was launched the same week Optik was born, ok so just under 2 yrs ago lead the way innovatively. »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Works great from anywhere.

I remember that tool. It was anything but great.

Optik TV isn't catching up to Shaw, its rocketing past Shaw. The feature gap is widening yet again.

Branflakes
@74.198.150.x

Branflakes

Anon

Oh really? In my experience it is very good. I compared both websites and the content difference is astonishing lacking with Telus. I also have control with shaw over bitrate, it tells me pc usage too. I think that Telus realized it can't really compete but at least it's trying to kudos to them.