Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Davesnothere

Mod

to Davesnothere

Re: LIST of Canadian ISPs

said by Davesnothere:

OK, wait a minute - how did you find that ?

Or did you just create it right now ?

No, it was there all along. But I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

Additionally we have these also (both idle):

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing?

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY

Premium Member

said by state:

said by Davesnothere:

OK, wait a minute - how did you find that ?

Or did you just create it right now ?

No, it was there all along. But I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing?

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies. At least I cannot find them. Will they be added to the rolodex, or will you be linking them another way?

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies.

There's been a little "funkiness" with the rolodex recently, let me try something and we'll see if they show up.

dormant cell
@videotron.ca

dormant cell to SHY

Anon

to SHY
said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for Zid do not show up in the rolodex of companies. At least I cannot find them. Will they be added to the rolodex, or will you be linking them another way?

I klnow of a few more. But do you really want to add more names/forums even if they are idle? I didn't add the ones in the list that no one really mentions.

Example: Skynet. Only the owner uses it. Gemstelecom, only the owner uses it. and there are a couple more like Omicrom and and such.

But these are "isp's" that no one uses here.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

....I may have a slight home court advantage in finding some of these things.

»YOUMANO
»Telnet Communications

What else is missing ?

Thanks

I'll add them as we already have the ISPs in the current version of the 'Short-List'.

Does GorillaNET have an ad-hoc ?

DISTRIBUTEL is large as or larger than Teksavvy now, but all we can find is their VoIP forum.

Do/can they have an ISP ad-hoc too ?

That may be about it for what's on the list right now.
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

said by SHY:

But these idle forums, including the one for ZiD do not show up in the rolodex of companies.

There's been a little "funkiness" with the rolodex recently, let me try something and we'll see if they show up.

AS comprehensive as the ISP Rolodex is, it has many more entries than we had hoped to include (some outdated or otherwise less imortant), yet it is missing some which we DO have on our 'Short-List'.

FUNKY is a well chosen descriptor. (One of my fave MUSIC genres)

The whole situation has a bit of a Catch-22 feel to it, as some will say "Well nobody POSTS in such and such an ad-hoc forum, so why should it be on a Short-List ?"

Others will reply "Nobody can FIND that particular forum, and if they easily COULD, they might well POST there."

Both perspectives are correct, up to a point.

MY vision (and some others here, I'm sure) was to have a method of reaching perhaps a couple of dozen more forums without upsetting the status quo of the 'Officially Listed' forums menu page - a sort of 'INTERMEDIATE' status for some forums.

We had some ideas which centred around a tighter list of recently active ISPs who mostly do have ad-hoc forums here, and were hoping to propose to post a version of my 'Short-List' post into the CBB forum page, possibly as a new Stickied thread, or to not sticky it but instead make another link to it, similar to what you already created for the big list, maybe just to the right of your link....

This link could read something like : Prefer 'Short-List' ? Click HERE !

That would be simple, much more visible than what we had before yesterday, and would not upset any existing pages.

A decent middle ground, as I see it.

BTW, I just got thru testing every link on the Short-List - found and fixed a few clunkers too.

Mob Rules
@videotron.ca

Mob Rules

Anon

I think we should charge ISP's 10$/month to put their name on the list.

No money? No candy!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mob Rules :

....No money? No candy!

That would cause us much more work contacting them - Naaaah.

I'm just going to fix those last few for now (famous words ), and then wait for State to weigh in on my above proposal.