spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

garysmacman

@twtelecom.net

[general] Just got Excede installed

on Monday. After giving up Wildblue a few years ago I decided to give Exede a shot. Glad I did. While https and the like aren't nearly as fast they still move along a lot faster than the blue did. Speakeasy is showing 16.0Mbs down and 2.95Mbs up. TestMy.net is showing 10.9 down and 1.75 up.

Mason2
Saceur
Premium
join:2006-01-06

Nice, thanks and please continue to keep us updated. Too bad about that ping but.... distance is distance!

What plan and what are you paying?
--
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Expand your moderator at work

marsh_0x

join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI
reply to Mason2

Re: [general] Just got Excede installed

Just installed today my upgrade (contract fulfilled) going through Dish Network of course, very professional installers and quite happy.

2 months remain with HN haha last night 5-10pm cst back to throttle of 300kbps (not a typo)
My cellular beat them up.

EDIT in: the $84 plan includes state tax, 15GB
So I'm paying the same minus 2GB of no concern

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to garysmacman

you look at the download and upload speeds and get all excited. but then you shift your eyes to the ping and you're like ahh damn

stupid physics lol

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to marsh_0x

the 15GB plan is 79.99 PLUS 9.99 lease fee (plus taxes). How does that come to $84 a month? Am I missing something?

said by marsh_0x:

Just installed today my upgrade (contract fulfilled) going through Dish Network of course, very professional installers and quite happy.

2 months remain with HN haha last night 5-10pm cst back to throttle of 300kbps (not a typo)
My cellular beat them up.

EDIT in: the $84 plan includes state tax, 15GB
So I'm paying the same minus 2GB of no concern

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x

said by compuguybna:

the 15GB plan is 79.99 PLUS 9.99 lease fee (plus taxes). How does that come to $84 a month? Am I missing something?

Instead of a monthly lease, one can buy the equipment

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

said by DrStrangLov :

said by compuguybna:

Thats not true in all markets. My NRTC coop does not offer a purchase option at all, which I'm OK with. My rental is 5.99 per month, and frankly, that means THEY fix it if I have issues, and my coop has been GREAT to deal with.
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to DrStrangLov

That doesn't answer the original question, and the OP made no mention of purchasing the equipment. Thus, the questions remains unanswered.

said by DrStrangLov :

said by compuguybna:

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

I beleive there is a discount for bundling since Dishnetwork Tv and excede are on the same bill.

marsh_0x

Tomahawk, WI

1 edit

Ok then, I just called Dish Network and MY monthly bill is $79.95 for Exede whatever a $5 discount for being a Dish Network customer means ?
Likely off my TV programming ?
Of no concern to me.

Whenever my online bill is posted if you care for proof, it shall be given.

Welcome to future started 8 March for me and paying nothing extra with the upgrade.
~Your mileage may Vary~

compuguybna
Do the math $79.95 times Wisconsin sales equals the $84 as explained prior ?

Correct me if I'm wrong you don't even have satellite ?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

Nope, thank god I have 25mpbs cable internet......but looking for deals for my brother, who lives 7 miles up the street with none.

Might recommend it to him if install/pricing stories were consistent!

said by marsh_0x:

compuguybna

Correct me if I'm wrong you don't even have satellite ?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to marsh_0x

That would be most gracious of you. My brother has DISH, so maybe he can get the same deal!

said by marsh_0x:

Ok then, I just called Dish Network and MY monthly bill is $79.95 for Exede whatever a $5 discount for being a Dish Network customer means ?
Whenever my online bill is posted if you care for proof, it shall be given.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to garysmacman

Best thing do if you really want definite answers...Call DISHnetwork if you want to bundle with them, so I did.

the ONLY thing you gain by ordering EXEDE thru DishNetwork is a $5.00 discount on your bill.

Plan prices are the SAME, caps are the same, Equipment Lease fee is the same, committment is the same, ACTIVATION fee is the same.

I laughed at the rep, and hung up. So, marsh_0x, you might get a big ole surpirse when you get your FIRST bill!

coysolar

join:2012-03-12
Carmel, CA
reply to garysmacman

Please see the summary at the bottom for the short version!

I started service on 2/11/12 with the Excede Viasat 15GB plan with 12Mb down and 2MB up.
Our sales person actually guaranteed VOIP but would not give a guaranteed latency number.
Viasat plans are all the same speed with various data caps just like the telecoms bill you.
I feel data caps are a responsible way for BW managment ... and that is really fine to pay for what you use. It is an incentive to not wast the bandwitdh resources just like turning off a light in your house when you do not need it.

Our installation was very similar to the other stories about hitting a block at the authentication process. The local installation TV dish company was very bad with confirming and following directions ... but they got here by the end of the day after a few miles driving in circles. Fortunately our two installers ... in training and on their second system had the hardware install down enough to not question it .... and did know to just keep trying to reboot and go to the authentication page until the wild blue site was working properly. After 2 hours of rebooting I had to kick them out since I had to leave. I ask them to come back another day. They actually took the LNB in case I decided to give it a try.... and end up with service before they completed the install!
They came back a week later as promised ... but did not call to set up an appointment and could not get in the locked gate. They came the next day and did the authentication one more time ... after the LNB was re-installed ... and it just started up.

I have a technical background in electronics, computers, and even customer services.
I was excited to maybe become an installer when I found out about the better Viasat system with lower latency and high speed on the up load side.
It looks like the sales people make about $300 per sale (after probing our sales person) and $149 for the install person.
Unfortunately it looks like they do not have a need for new installers or sales people since I have not even goten a reply for my dealers app.
It only makes since to use the existing cheap local Dish TV crews and keep the sales profits inside Excede marketing dept.

Many people around here in the canyon I live in have no cellular or DSL ... much less any wireless companies. They are hard up for good service. I have at least 25 neighbors in my canyon that would change over to the service if they new that I was the installer ... and could actually trust me to be upfront with service and performance with a quality install... maybe even a free dish tweak after a storm or two.
Oh well ... at least exceed will take forever to fill up the BW with the reputation they have already started for bad service.

On the up side my service/hardware has worked very well for about 30 days except for the problem below...even in the heavy rain/cloud cover (about 0.5 in/hr) and high winds/gusts to 50mph.
I am located about 100 miles south of San Fransisco Ca on the west coast about 1 miles inland and 800ft altitude. We are usually above the fog line.
I have had a steady 18.5Mb down and 2.5 Mb up speeds with 600-800mS latency. Skype app gives me the average rating popup. It works good for 800mS delay... but not so good on speaker phone.

The one exception to this is about 2 hrs on 3/09/12 Friday with down services. The viasat rep was not of much use in trouble shooting .... didn't really know about what lights blink or stay steady.
I checked all connections ... unpluging and repluging in .... they all seemed fine. The dish was still firmly attach to deck base .. very stable. No insects or bird poop.

There are 4 lights on the modem: pwr, rcv,xmit and Ethernet. All the lights except the pwr light should flash ... with the 3rd light from the top(upload/xmit) flashing the most. They should be on most of the time (about 90% duty cycle) with about 5hz flashes. They will just tel you all the lights should be on when it is working. During the boot up process they come on one by one. The pwr light actually flashes just a bit ... from the bleed over light of the other lights if you view the modem at an angle .... very annoying and impossible to troubleshoot if you do not look at the brightest angle to make your eye less sensitive to the bleed over. I rebooted about 4-5 times ... and almost tried to realign the dish ... but decided to just wait.
I made a service request and the rep said they would call on Monday. She also mentioned it would be free this time since we are in the 90 days period. I informed her that I expected Wild Blue to maintain their own equipment since I was renting it. Her answer was that they just charge for vandalism or physical damages to the modem or dish .... including branches hitting the dish.
Still no call at 4pm monday. They will probable show up unannounced again when we are gone ... waisting time but maybe getting paid from wild blue for a service call. I actually tried to cancel the service call with exceed ... but their system seems to be down for "upgrading system" at noon during day business hours. Hmmm oh well.
In about 2hrs service was back. The rep said "she had no information about any service or outages" ... but I have to guess it was something more on the other side ... having nothing to do with my modem or dish or LNB. I did not reboot at this point and service just started.

The usage page has been down at Wild Blue since service has started. The wild blue site has this message:
"We're sorry, our data usage meter is currently offline.
During this time we will not slow your access speed except for extreme usage cases."

...not sure what this means by extreme ... but it seems we have only used about 9GB per the rep with about 30 hrs of project TV showtime episodes(40 shows) and regular browsing/email for the month. That should mean about 2 hrs per day on the 15GB or 3hrs/day on the 25GB plan.... not bad!

Summary of Experiance with Wild Blue Excede Viasat service:

The Viasat system works very good with 18Mb down and 2.5Mb up rates with 800mS latency times.
Good/average operation with skype.
Good performance in rain/wind/clouds at 800 ft alt.
Terrible almost non existent customer service and installation services.
They seem to just be following the AT&T model of "most customers phones work most of the time" but when you need to change or fix something expect a headache and 1-2 hours of calls and recalling .... and then again to get maybe the 3rd rep/employee that still cares or knows a little bit.
One of the best things I have learned with these type of profit/marketing heavy companies is .....to get action just recall and get a rep that cares .... try it out when you get to a road block.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to compuguybna

I think marsh_0x has HughesNet which he will soon cancel.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to coysolar

said by coysolar:

I feel data caps are a responsible way for BW managment ... and that is really fine to pay for what you use.

Did you read Wildblue's Network Management Policy which will become active if your spot beam fills up?

said by coysolar:

...even in the heavy rain/cloud cover (about 0.5 in/hr) and high winds/gusts to 50mph.

Here, 1 inch of rain in 10 minutes is required to knock out the signal, and wind has no effect.

said by coysolar:

didn't really know about what lights blink or stay steady.

»help.wildblue.net/care/article/5107&n=1 (you must copy and paste the link into a new browser window) Technical Troubleshooting for SurfBeam 2 Equipment. . Look under "Hardware Reset/Direct Connect" for a explanation of the blinking sequences. Historically Wildblue's satellite modem disconnects occasionally for reasons that are usually unknown to the user. Reasons can include a problem at the gateway, maintenance, a solar conjunction and bad weather either at your gateway or your house. It is usually best to wait a few hours and power cycle the modem instead of calling customer service. If it does not work by the next day, then troubleshooting, a call to customer service or a service call may be needed. You can check this forum to determine if anyone else is having a problem on your spot beam or gateway.

said by coysolar:

She also mentioned it would be free this time since we are in the 90 days period. I informed her that I expected Wild Blue to maintain their own equipment since I was renting it. Her answer was that they just charge for vandalism or physical damages to the modem or dish .... including branches hitting the dish.

They are not supposed to charge you to replace the leased equipment, but there is a fee for the service call apparently after the first 90 days.

said by coysolar:

During this time we will not slow your access speed except for extreme usage cases."
...not sure what this means by extreme

I think they are allowing 7,500 MB over your usage limit.
--
Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

marsh_0x

Tomahawk, WI
reply to compuguybna

Hi compuguybna

Doing a Google search in an unrelated search, this thread came up 1st page.

Ironic a long time friend today from the city with DSL paying for 3Mbps basic pack said my WB Excede is smoking hot playing with my other laptop.

I asked what the top DSL plan is and he will check, tho certain 15Mbps is the top shelf, so I lack with true facts now.

Darn hope not to bump this if an older post, HN has a future with Jupiter Gen4 ?
My future arrived couple weeks ago, only trying to give inspiration to those caught up with 9000 and 7000 congestion, certainly to not brag or to come out of character

Marsh

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

Hope you aren't shocked when you get your DISHNETWORK BILL with your EXEDE charges........i'm afraid they didn't tell you all of them.

said by marsh_0x:

Hi compuguybna

Doing a Google search in an unrelated search, this thread came up 1st page.

Marsh

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to marsh_0x

Yeah the larger town and city speeds on DSL generally cap out at about 15 Mb/s although there are exceptions of course. Where I am moving I can get my phone, all the same channels as my dish network on their top Americas Everything package, HD, DVR and their top DSL package at 3Mb/s for the same $120 a month that dish charges for just their Americas everything package. I will still be out in the country too which is the best benefit. I am moving back to SW Missouri and it seems that most of the little towns in that area have telcos that are commited to serving as many of their rural customers as possible. The town serving me is Anderson MO and has a population of around 1500 or less and they serve DSL and TV at least 10 miles from town and my sisters closest town has a population of about 200 if that and she gets service nearly 15 miles out from town so it is possible to serve many rural areas if the telcos are commited to getting service there.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x

said by zeddlar:

and it seems that most of the little towns in that area have telcos that are committed to serving as many of their rural customers as possible.

Federal monies are related to little towns having nice upgrades. I know of several small towns with fiber optic to each home/business.

3 miles west of where I live, there are two different rural telephone companies with fiber optic hookup to those living on those roads. But, I have AT&T, with good old POTs; 14.4 kbps dialup.

It has nothing to do with " telcos that are committed to serving as many of their rural customers as possible," its the money.

tanman

@wildblue.net
reply to garysmacman

got mine 3-19-12. I had verizon 4g mifi download at .32mb. yea!
this thing download at time 19mb. the only problem i have so far is it take about 4 seconds to go from 1 web page to the next, is this normal? does anyone else have this issue?

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

yes, that's normal. it's due to the high latency

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x
reply to tanman

said by tanman :

it take about 4 seconds to go from 1 web page to the next, is this normal?

Are you on Exede 12 mbps or Exede 5 mbps plan?

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to DrStrangLov

Well by that rule of thumb, then there are alot of bigger companies that should be expanding to rural ares as well, but you don't see that happening. It all depends on how the companies want to use those funds, and thus it falls to commitment, money or otherwise.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x

said by zeddlar:

Well by that rule of thumb, then there are alot of bigger companies that should be expanding to rural ares as well...

Telcos are like Caterpillar dealerships...you have a turf area these days.

In the beginning of telephone services, AT&T took the cream mainly, and left the hicks out in the sticks...hence, rural telephone companies came about.

Here's two articles which give an overview:

Telcos Receive $103 Million in Federal Funding for Rural Broadband Expansion

»www.tmcnet.com/topics/articles/2···band.htm

Rural telephone companies fight fed broadband plan

»qctimes.com/news/local/rural-tel···286.html

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Well either way it doesn't apply here because at least 4 of these towns have including this one and the one my sister lives near have had rural DSL and video service in rural areas for a long while before there was any grant money, so you can holler money money money till that pot of gold falls on your head and it isn't going to make the facts any different. Monett MO, expanded in 2004, Stella MO expanded in 2002, Anderson MO expanded in 2006 and Seneca MO expanded in 2004. Stella and Monett did run wireless for about a year or two untill the lines were run to handle the video and broadband feeds, but these are the years that each of these began work on expanding to rural customers. Lamar MO is there in the mix too but I couldn't find out just when they started but I know it was prior to 2008 because my brother has had DSL for at least that long.
--

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x

said by zeddlar:

have had rural DSL

Here's a primer

»DSL FAQ »Why is distance important with DSL?

»/distance

Note - 5,280 feet per mile

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x
reply to zeddlar

said by zeddlar:

rural DSL

Please note: "rural DSL" is not the same as "city DSL."

I don't live in a city, I live in a rural area, where my nearest neighbor is one mile away.

DrStrangLov

@12.189.32.x
reply to zeddlar

said by zeddlar:

Monett MO, Stella MO, Anderson MO, Seneca MO

These are cities...using existing infrastructure...all they had to do was buy DSL equipment.

I'm talking about upgrading to FIBER OPTICS