uniqs
share rss forum feed

perry023

@rogers.com

Roger going digital means buying box from them

if roger cable in my area goes digital it means i have to buy the box from them

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Only if you want the IPG, On Demand and timeshifting. If you don't want those features you can get a digital adapter for free.

perry023

@rogers.com
reply to perry023

but the technician has to come to install this adapter

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

only if your too technically challenged to install it your self.

if you can install a vcr or dvd player than u can install this box
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

perry023

@rogers.com
reply to perry023

thanks bro . it means they can control the signal then , and no more free cable channels

mike2

@rogers.com

so what u are saying bro is right they control the signal from their broadcasting station , and the change will happen in few weeks now in toronto and no technician will come to your house to do that change , correct me if i am wrong

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

they have always controlled the signal. its better now. if u want a premium channel like spanish or urdu, they literally flip it on in seconds nwo instead of waitnig a week for the truck to come over
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

I notice in the letter that if I rent the box, I need to pay something like $5 a month, plus $2.99 digital fee.

If I choose to buy my own box, do I still need to pay the digital fee?

Ped_Man

join:2004-03-27
Markham, ON

Yes you still have to pay the digital fee.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

just buy it for $40 bucks out right. u will pay it off in under one year

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

said by Paolo:

Rogers does not have a digital box available to purchase for $40. You cannot even buy the SD digital box.

»www.orderrogers.ca/s/1164/r/order/box

The digital adapter is being provided at no charge to customers.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Suckers!

DISH Satellite for the win, I get all the channels from Rogers cable (A&E,Discovery,CNN ect.) for $29.99 taxes included, I have a U.S. account and pay DISH directly.

Yeah and I don't care about the CBC,CTV or any of those lame canadian networks.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
reply to Hooter

said by Hooter:

said by Paolo:

Rogers does not have a digital box available to purchase for $40. You cannot even buy the SD digital box.

»www.orderrogers.ca/s/1164/r/order/box

The digital adapter is being provided at no charge to customers.

Not sure what you are talking about? I bought 2 yes TWO incase you cant read, standard definition rogers boxes, e940, $40 each. incase u dont believe me, i still have the bill. i will send u a copy and send it to the store

just because the company web site wants u to only rent them, its not mean its ur only option, u gotta think outside the bun
--

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

You can still buy SD terminals but they are now $99 each and they only sell refurbished models as Rogers has stopped purchasing new units from SA/Cisco.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

nothings stopping you from buying second hand stbs as well except your own concious

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

said by Paolo:

nothings stopping you from buying second hand stbs as well except your own concious

Could you give us a hint where you can buy them for either $99, or second hand?

Also a question... why is it that if you get the adaptor you don't need to pay the digital fee, but if you get the box, you do need to pay? Do you get more channels if you get the box?

Thanks.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to fred999

said by fred999:

I notice in the letter that if I rent the box, I need to pay something like $5 a month, plus $2.99 digital fee.

We shouldn't confuse the boxes. There are 4 types of boxes...

Digital Adaptor: Free
Digital Terminal: $5
HD Digital Terminal: $15
HD PVR Digital Terminal: $25

(all prices approximate)

You can buy the HD boxes outright. You'll have to either beg from rogers for the SD box or find one at the retail level..(good luck) or ebay or kijiji.

Digital cable fee still applies in call cases.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
reply to fred999

fred, i said 40 not 99. check wally mart, best buy, fri's the source buy circuti city, fture shop,

also the $2.99 applies to stbs only it allows access to premium services such as vod, music channels, time shifting, promo channels etc
--

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by fred999:

We shouldn't confuse the boxes. There are 4 types of boxes...

Digital Adaptor: Free
Digital Terminal: $5
HD Digital Terminal: $15
HD PVR Digital Terminal: $25

(all prices approximate)

You can buy the HD boxes outright. You'll have to either beg from rogers for the SD box or find one at the retail level..(good luck) or ebay or kijiji.

Digital cable fee still applies in call cases.

Exactly!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

it might be built in to the price of some cable packages as well. d-vip was advertizing one price which had the dsf included and the monthly rental included too.
--

andy6

@amanah.com
reply to Xstar_Lumini

you do know that is ILLEGAL right?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

Click for full size
said by andy6 :

you do know that is ILLEGAL right?

It is only illegal to receive a commercial satellite signal that you do not pay for. It is not illegal to receive a US satellite subscription as there are no regulations for airwaves originating outside of the border whether it be a television or data feed. Not that is even realistically enforceable.

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON

What is the DTH grey market?

The grey market usually refers to the sale of Direct-to-Home receivers and decoding equipment intended to receive encrypted programming signals from American DTH satellites. It also refers to the sale and purchase of subscriptions to receive encrypted programming signals from American DTH service providers. American DTH service providers do not have the lawful right in Canada to authorize the decoding of their programming. Canadian dealers sometimes offer to set up subscriptions with American satellite service providers on behalf of Canadian consumers using a U.S. address.

»www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.ns···.html#q2

I have no personal opinion on the legality of it, but it is in fact illegal.

rice

@teksavvy.com
reply to J E F F

ALL Rogers Plus stores sell SD boxes for $99, they are refurbished units from their rental pool. The charge goes on your next Rogers bill. It comes with a 2 year warranty.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

you have a choice where you can buy the box from too, you do not necessarily have to go to rogers plus to buy it, go to walmart or the source... buy circuit city, even london drogs sell it too,
--

Tracer6

join:2006-10-12
Bowmanville, ON

The digital boxes from retailers, as I understand it, are HD (High Definition) for which you'll also pay extra monthly charges. Rogers is giving SD (Standard Definition) digital boxes to my area, in the hopes that the word "free" will encourage those who are gullible to accept them as something better than the current analogue channels. They want to reach 85% penetration of digital in order to shut down analogue. This is good for Rogers and the customers who also buy their Internet service and their HD, and video on demands service. Apparently, the cable can carry more data if they are not clogged with analogue (I have no idea how much more data can be delivered).
However, once you hook up a digital box, you'll find channel changing to be slower. The box itself is warm to the touch and requires power 24/7. Your tv remote will not longer work. You must use the Rogers remote. If your tv has picture-in-picture, that will no longer work. If you enjoyed recording one channel while watching another, you will no longer be able to do so. If your recording device is more than a foot from your tv, you'll need to buy an extra, longer coaxial cable to connect in such a way that you can play videos on your tv. "Free" will get you every time! By the way, Rogers sent a letter asking that I pick up the "free" digital box. When I didn't, a telephone call came through asking if a courier could deliver it, and, if necessary, a technician would be sent to connect it. When my analogue channels disappear at the end of this month, I doubt that Rogers will automatically switch my plan a lower monthly fee. Two days after the letter offering a "free" digital box, another letter came announcing an almost $4 per month increase in fee. If only I had a way to alert my neighbours, they might also refuse digital.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

Hey mr Tracer.

You can not use a pip with satellight dish, with fibe tv, with iptv, or any other provider. why do u tihnk the high end stb have the pip function built in now? because they knew this.

you had it before, you enjoyed it while it lasted. be thankfull not angry. also with cogeco, or shaw or ttelis or bell or compton, or any other cable or sat or iptv provider, guess what? you have to use their remote too.

Digital boxes from retaliers are also SD, just because you thought they were HD only does not mean thats how it is. what you know and what the truth are is different, i bought 2 of the rogers SD boxes for 40 bucks each from the sourse by circuit city. whyy? because i would rather own my boxes insteadof rending the sd box for 4 bucks per month per tv.

this was up to me, no one told me to do this.

also the box they are giving out is not a stb, well it is in terms of technology, but its being called a DTA adaptor. they classified them differently because they do not allow cx to rent them, well not just yet. theyre free. it has nothing to do with a $4 increase. all the companies are nicreasing feees . but the boxes were being available before the fee increase w as introduced. people without the free boxes are beign ncreased too, it has ntohing to do with the dta box. just you might think its coincidence because you do not look outside the bun
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

if ur paying for analog cable, just take the free box and enjoy it, you will continue to receive the same channels as before. i dunno whwat the big deal is? your being kinda picky i believe
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Tracer6

Rogers is giving out the digital adapters because whatever the subscriber count is, they're already starting to shut down analog and they're giving you a friendly nudge so you don't lose access to view cable TV. Paolo is right, if you want those features you can buy a digital terminal.

Tracer6

join:2006-10-12
Bowmanville, ON

How many $40 standard broadcast digital boxes can be activated on one account? Cogeco, when I activated my mother's unit, said that she could have had another free box,... but it was now too late. She was beyond the period for largess.. their "kindness". Will your monthly fees rise again if you activate a second box on the same account, in oder to regain the ability to record on one channel, while watching another? This is not a trivial matter. Digital standard definition tv is a downgrade of service from analogue. Also, just how much/many extra data/channels can be carried by digital, compared to analogue? Rogers has carried both analogue and digital on the same piece of cable for many years. Yes, the Internet slows down on their "old" cable, when multiple users are active on the Web.
No one has given numbers, as to the advantage of digital to the Rogers bottom line. It must be significant, else they would not be giving out "free" digital boxes, letting us believe our television experience will be improved, or that the government made them do it, or that digital is the best because its the "new way"; it's so "modern". The cable digital conversion is a profit driven decision, just as the decision by the government to kill analogue, over the air television. That spectrum will now be sold for billions to private companies. Those private companies will recover the cost paid to the government in high user fees to us. I've learned a lot since these "free" digital boxes turned up, but I still have unanswered questions. See above.