Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster

Re: Town Tactics and Logic

Man that would have been really epic, and made really hard to get you.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

I would have done it without a second thought. I mean, you win with your team, dead or not. Wouldn't be the first time I threw a team mate under the bus.
Chaplain

Chaplain

Premium Member

Like leaving you to die in a team fight.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
I threw an entire team under the bus once.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Do what it takes to win.
Chaplain

Chaplain

Premium Member

Or what gets the most lulz. Either way.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Admittedly, when I play, I play 5% to win, 95% to screw with everyone's heads for the lulz. It's one of the reasons I have a love-hate relationship with being mafia. On one side, I'd hate to make my teammates loose because I was going for the lulz, on the other side, mafia has so much more potential in screwing with everyone!

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Not if you take full advantage of a Survivor role.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

Unlike Mr. Kris-Worst Survivor of 2012-topher?

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Unlike Mr. Kris-Worst Survivor of 2012-topher?

It was the best use of that role that I could find.

So, should we host a couple of Dethy games?

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

Sure.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

»[signup] Dethy

Sign up for some Town Logic practice. I'll start the Dune game after a few of these.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Well now that that other game is over I'll add some comments here.

Our mafia plan in the android game was simply to cause as much chaos as possible, which is why we never killed the cop or the doc, which is the "normal" mafia way. The mafia team can hide much more easily when there is rampant doubt all around. That's why the town players need to think outside the box... just because something is normal doesn't mean it's garenteed. Town players should also avoid lying about their roles, which seems to be an alarmingly common practice lately. That only helps the mafia spread more chaos.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

*sheepish grin*

I wasn't town, in my defense.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem
You guys will never accomplish the level of FUD that I have.

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to DrModem

Premium Member

to DrModem
I will still never forgive Chlen for lying the one game I modded. Being a mod and seeing what he was doing, confused the living crap out of me because it literally handed the town to the mafia no questions asked. He hurt the town for no reason at all.

:P

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Mod cares not who wins

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

The problem is that you have a lot of people who are playing to mess with people, which ends up adding to the chaos. I haven't read over any games recently, but we use to frown upon role claiming in general. In fact, I think we said we would stop unless it was necessary in order to stop a power role from being lynched.

Role claiming really screws the side that you are playing for. Dethy games are probably the best logic games to play, because it really isn't about spreading FUD, it is more about getting a result and deciding who isn't crazy.

Also, if the old MafiaScum FAQ is still around, it would be beneficial for the noobs to read over the roles that you are using in games.

Another thing is the metagame et al. You can't get caught up too much into it because it can and will end up in a lot of loses for the town. It always has, historically. One of these days, now that I have an iphone, I may come back to this since I don't pay attention in lecture anyway.

When is the next sign up? You can count me

/in (finally)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

I may come back to this since I don't pay attention in lecture anyway.

best way to get through college! (I wouldn't know, "back in my day" was before smartphones)

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
It's dune, and you're in, middle finger avatar guy.
Chaplain

Chaplain

Premium Member

Oh, and I agree with your take on things. Even though you're flipping me off while telling me.

Jim7
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10

Jim7 to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
Logic is highly overrated...here.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

But you're the most logical guy I know?!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

Him? Pfah. I see more logic in a dog chasing its tail.

Jim7
Premium Member

Jim7

Premium Member

And there you go. This place if full of liars. That's why.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

said by Jim7:

And there you go. This place if full of liars. That's why.

No, it's just that I work in the public sector. Logic doesn't apply.
Chaplain

Chaplain

Premium Member

Unfortunately neither does common sense, decency, integrity, or honesty. But I do what I can. It's been a rough morning.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7
I'll take it back as soon as you explain your fear of Canadians.

On a more serious note:
I do agree with him that it's overrated here. Someone calls you scum but you're town? Lynch him! He must be scum. While the real mafia is just sitting and munching popcorn.

So what that might help town is too chill with the 'you must be mafia' accusations unless they're 100% (or nearly there) sure that the player they're accusing is actually mafia. Because if they're not and they get lynched, you just cost town 2 days. First day to lynch that player, second day to get yourself lynched, or heavily pressured to the point where more chaos than needed is created. In addition, if you are right with the first one, and think you know for sure who the second one is and get others to follow you, you just might cost the game. I don't know how many times I've thrown myself under the bus as mafia, only to get a townie or two to look like my partners... while my real partner just sits quietly and spreads the proper FUD.

A much better tactic would be to look at whom to clear as town and decrease the pool of suspects. There will be less 'OMGUS you must be scum because you called me scum' "logic" that make Town lynch itself, and a higher chance of cooperating on finding out the real mafia.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

But, if you are going to lynch based on small items that are suspicious, make your case for it logically. Admit it isn't much evidence, but if no lynch isn't an option, and you feel it beats any other lynch - explain why. From a town perspective, you still have to do this, regardless of the risk if you are wrong. Sure, mafia will emulate this and try to trick town, but a lot of times an argument that's a lie sounds valid to them, but when looked at by town, it doesn't pass the logic test.

Our issue, I think, is being burned in the past by certain players and taking on the mantra of "I'll be damned if that'll happen again. I'll watch the town burn first!!!!!!"

Jim7
Premium Member

Jim7 to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
I ain't 'afeared'. It's only a beard.
(channeling George Carlin)

tl;dr
posted from Canada anyway - I'm not serious. But you should know that