share rss forum feed

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Sigma Repair Question

My Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX OS DC HSM broke at the end of December. It took me about a month to get around to sending it in.

The lens won't zoom. It's as if something is in the way. I couldn't see anything broken inside of the lens but don't have a trained eye. I was careful with the lens, always, and kept it in a padded case when not attached to my 7D.

I sent in the repair via UPS ground and it took a week to get to NY. They emailed me 2 days later and gave me an estimate of $130 for repair. The email attachment stated: "NEED TO REPLACE OS UNIT" (copy and paste from the pdf).

I can't possibly fathom why I am expected to fork over 20% of the cost of the lens to replace something that broke inside of the warranty period, including paying return shipping and handling!

Wayne had provided a contact at Sigma and I've emailed her asking her, politely, WTF the deal is.

Has anyone here dealt with Sigma repair on an in-warranty item?
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
I don't have an answer, but did you send a copy of the purchase receipt with it?

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
Yes, Sue I did. A print out of the receipt from B&H Photo Video.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
Probably just a goof up on their part, and they will have a positive solution.

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA
kudos:3
reply to drew
Mix up as Sue stated or B&H did to you what they did to me and sold you a Grey Market lens in place of a USA one. This happened to me with them and 2 or 3 lenses. Why I won't shop with B&H anymore and give all my business to Adorama.

I would contact Sigma again and inquire about it calmly. I've never had an issue with them! They even fixed a consumer lens for me, that wasn't purchased new, under warranty!

I've never even have them take longer than 12hrs responding to email questions!

The only other way I could see it not being covered is if there is some sign of user abuse/misuse. But you state that there was none. Shipping damage?

Just give them a call. Ask for a supervisor.
--
Images are Copyrighted and use is NOT
permitted.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to drew
said by drew:

Wayne had provided a contact at Sigma and I've emailed her asking her, politely, WTF the deal is.

Did she ever get back to you about this?

Wayne

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Gemologist
said by Gemologist:

Mix up as Sue stated or B&H did to you what they did to me and sold you a Grey Market lens in place of a USA one.

I doubt that happened, but none the less it shouldn't make a difference, Sigma NY will repair grey market units under warranty.

Wayne

--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to 49528867
Yeah. She asked if I had included proof of warranty with the lens. I replied in the affirmative and also sent her a copy. The following morning another lady replied and said they'd received my proof of purchase and would get back to me.
--

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by drew:

The following morning another lady replied and said they'd received my proof of purchase and would get back to me.

That's somewhat odd, how close to being out of warranty is the lens?

I would seem they could go by the serial number to determine the manufactured date, and if that is within the warranty time period no other paperwork should be needed.

It's a positive sign they are communicating with you in a timely manner though.

Lets see what they do next.

Wayne
--
"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles A. Beard

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to drew
A number of years ago I found a crack in the foot of my Nikon flash...don't remember the exact model number. It was only a couple of months old and I had barely used it. It spent most of the time sitting in my camera bag.

A Nikon authorized repair place charged me about $35 (10% of the cost) claiming Nikon didn't cover anything "physical" under their USA warranty. They also mentioned it was a common repair which made me suspect it had more to do with poor design than actual wear and tear.

Maybe Sigma has a similar policy?

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
said by 49528867:

That's somewhat odd, how close to being out of warranty is the lens?

Purchased 8/9/10 from B&H. EX lenses have a 3 year warranty.
said by Stacy:

Maybe Sigma has a similar policy?

This isn't physical. The OS unit effectively dismounted itself and was floating around freely in the lens. I can understand them not repairing something cosmetic, but this isn't that.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
Not "cosmetic" but "physical." In my case the cracked flash foot was the part of the strobe that fits into the Flash Shoe on the camera body. The the crack was preventing it from attaching firmly and making physical contact.

If the OS detached in your lens and is floating around that's a physical repair as well, as opposed to a bad circuit board which, apparently is covered under most warranties.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 recommendations

said by Stacy:

If the OS detached in your lens and is floating around that's a physical repair.

Be it physical, metaphysical, or just a good ole fashioned broken lens. If the lens submitted for repair was not abused, a manufacturer quibbling about a warranty repair speaks volumes about the worth of their warranty.

Wayne
--

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to drew
said by drew:

Purchased 8/9/10 from B&H. EX lenses have a 3 year warranty.

Being that far out, it is in my opinion fair for them to request a “dated” proof of purchase as the serial number could be very well on either side of the warranty line.

Wayne
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
There are no copies of this lens more than 3 years old Wayne.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by drew:

There are no copies of this lens more than 3 years old Wayne.

Well that certainly puts a twist into the story.

Wayne

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to drew
I heard nothing back from them after they acknowledged receipt of the proof of purchase from an authorized dealer (B&H).

I checked the online repair form (which is kind of a joke... I could design something more usable and I'm a terrible programmer) and saw that it had shipped out Monday, due on Friday.

I'll know more when I get the lens back, but I'm kind of surprised that with my e-mail address plastered all over the repair form, etc. that there was no e-mail notification of it being shipped.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

reply to drew
Lens came in on Friday but was signature required and I was not home.

Picked it up this evening. Everything seems fine. I will say that I believe there may be a defect in the first copies of the lens. The original (pre-repair) lens made a sound when gently shaken. Almost as if the floating OS unit had too much give. Now, that sound is completely gone. It's also dead-silent when OS is on.

They even replaced my very beat up Sigma soft-shell case I sent the lens in with. Very good.
--