deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Center Point Smart Meter

I live in the Brazosport area and they are finally going to install the new "Smart Meters" in our area.

I have read about a lot of different problems that or coming up.

Has anybody on here had one installed and have you had any problems?

My main concern is I had my house built 33 years ago and wonder if I will have to do an upgrade on my wiring.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Ours was installed about a month ago. We got our first bill yesterday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. The "problem" we had was the contractor who did the install rang the doorbell at about 8 o'clock in the morning while my wife was home getting ready for work. The dog was going nuts. By the time she got to the front door, no one was there. About that time, the lights went out. When she got to the back door, she noticed the side gate to our patio was wide open. When she went to close it, the contractor was exiting another gate on the other side of the garage. Dog was still going nuts. She yelled at him about leaving the gate open and some other words, but the guy kept on walking. Needless to say, she wasn't happy. Neither was the dog. They both wanted a piece of the guy.

As far as upgrading your wiring, you don't need to do that just because the meter was changed out.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Thank for the feedback.

I keep my gate locked so they have read my meter with binoculars for years.

Will have to leave my gate unlocked when they get started.

I found an article online and in it the Pasadena Fire Chief said he had no documentation of any fires caused my a smart meter and their entire city is on smart meters.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
Installed about a month ago, a month or two ahead of schedule. Gates are locked, installer was in a rush...

No problems other than the lack of notice and the installer leaning on the door bell.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Is either one of your house's as old as mine?

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

We have a house in Galveston that was built in the late 40s. Our house in Santa Fe was built in 1999.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Does the house in Galveston have a smart meter on it and if so did you have to do any upgrades to the wiring?

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Yes and no. Are you concerned about fires being caused when the meters are changed out?

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Not really concerned with a fire hazard. Had heard of other problems but more than likely were mostly blown out of proportion.

With you having an over 60 year old house with a SM on it and no problems I am going to just start worrying about something else.

Thanks again.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

At first, I was wondering why you were asking about upgrading your wiring. Other than the issue with showing up unannounced and the lights going out with no warning, I hadn't heard much else bad about smart meters.

Then, I read about smart meter sickness. And, since you started this thread, I read about fires being caused when the meters were changed out. KPRC (Channel 2) did a story last year.

So, now I'm a little worried about my Galveston house. It still has knob and tube wiring.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

Didn't mean to cause you to also be worried about the SMs.

Wondered what knob and tube was as I had seen that in several articles. Looked it up. Now that is scary looking.

I hope I am home when they come by as I am going to turn off all my electronic gear before they pull the meter. Might not make any difference but will make me feel better.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend after this rain blows on out.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
said by deke40:

Is either one of your house's as old as mine?

Exactly as old, and no problem. If you already have a wiring problem, I don't think the meter will make it any better or worse...

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

marti to deke40

MVM

to deke40
I love my smart meter. No problems with installation, as a note was left on front door telling me that it would be installed in the near future, and the installer rang the doorbell before he went into the back yard.

My electrical provider, Reliant Energy, sends an email once per week to tell me my usage for that week. I really like that feedback.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

The Center Point guy came around today and was doing a check on the meters. He popped the meter and lubricated the prongs and put a new type locking ring on the meter. He said the new one would be installed in the next 30 to 90 days.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if lubricating the prongs came from the issues they were having?

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

I think he just did that to make it easier for the smart meter installers.

He did tell me one of this fellow workers pulled somebody's meter and the clips just collapsed and shorted and caused a small fire.
The owners were pissed but after they explained that if this had happened on its on it could have burned down their house. The plastic holding the clips had cracked and was being held together by the meter spades. When the meter was pulled it happened.

The only problem I had today was having to reset all my vcrs(5) and numerous clocks. I know I am probably the only person still using vcrs but didn't want to have to get 3 DVRs to replace them.
Expand your moderator at work