DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Juniper router's I've seen so far have only been slightly less bad
the juniper router hasn't crached taking down the office I'm in yet, but it has at another office (weekly)

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

That's what I figured. Juniper routers are used on a large scale though (for better or worse) since they have higher throughput that Cisco's equipment, and are cheaper in some cases.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well I'll give them cheaper they sure are built dirt cheap
the lack of throughput might be more of higher ups picking a dumb network design (they claim it'll allow them to more easily lock down the network)

ok so the switches are layer3 switches capable of doing great (in theory) intervlan routing right? well forget that the SRX is doing the inter vlan routing

so we're limited on traffic between vlans, all the computers are connected to the switches at gig but so is the router and the router is doing the inter vlan routing, and of course the SRX is also doing the firewall/nat and a vpn to a remote site, so its at fairly high load all the time

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Well the nice thing is that the SRX's can handle it, the Juniper (and Cisco) routers get bogged down with lots of services; NAT and Firewall/IDS especially are killers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Previously we had a cisco 1711 that handled it flawlessly, of course that was a flat network so it didn't have any intervlan routing

and atleast due to the topology data from one vlan to another is greatly limited by the srx, and its at near max load 24/7 and the srx is crazy bogged down

luckily not many send large files offten to the fileserver as that will bog the SRX to a crawl and slow all other traffic

really it would be way better if the EX4200's did the inter-vlan routing

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

1711...that's a blast from the past. I still have a 1720 floating around somewhere.

That's not surprising, especially if your pushing gigabit to the SRX (depending on the model). The lack of large files helps; we image from the servers so that wouldn't work for us.

It would, which is why the 4506's/3750's handle the inter-vlan routing for most applications.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya, oh well higher ups want the SRX to do intervlan routing

if it were up to me I'd have the 4200EX (ok really I'd have a 3750X) do the intervlan routing

and I'd have nic teaming setup on all the servers, as well as on the ESXi hosts

at home I have a NME-16ES-1G-P doing my intervlan routing and its linked to my 2960G via gig (though if I had a 3750G at home I'd let it take over, or if it didn't have rudundant power I'd get the stackwise etherswitch) (I wish I could justify buying a NME-XD-48ES-2S-P to replace my NME-16ES-1G-P)

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

It makes sense rather than taxing the router, but they should migrate it to the switch realistically, since CEF can handle routing much easier than a process-based router.

That isn't set up all ready? I think that nic load balancing is one of the most important things on a mission critical server.

I have it set up a little differently at home. I have a 2811 that does NAT and basic firewall, which feeds a Layer 2 switch. Inter-vlan routing is handled in Hyper-V by Vyatta (previously handled by Nexus 1000V). I don't use my Layer 3 switches for anything other than as a test bed, due to noise and power requirements (not to mention lack of gigabit ports).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

ya we had setup nic load balancing but then just by random occurance at the same time symantec messed up and the nic load balancing was initialy blamed and when symantec was fixed the nic load balancing wasn't put back yet

and with the file/folder redirection (desktop/My documents/ect) being moved to the file server and then synced there are some throughput issues but we'd need to move the intervlan routing and thats just not going to happen

good companies shouldn't offload most of their main office IT work to contractors and then they shouldn't hire the contractors that lead them down a bad path.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

if it were up to me I'd have the 4200EX (ok really I'd have a 3750X) do the intervlan routing

I would just come in late one night, re-configure the network, and wait until people notice how much better its working, then say "I told you so!".

But, dislike managers that think they know the best way to configure the network - if that were the case, why bother even hiring any engineers/technicians - seems the manager can handle it all! Managers should stick to managing, not dictating.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Then their jobs would be made redundant if workers could manage themselves. Besides, they lose the fun of micromanaging things then.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

said by DarkLogix:

I would just come in late one night, re-configure the network, and wait until people notice how much better its working, then say "I told you so!".

But, dislike managers that think they know the best way to configure the network - if that were the case, why bother even hiring any engineers/technicians - seems the manager can handle it all! Managers should stick to managing, not dictating.

Its the head of one section of IT that made that ruling (our IT is split into a few sections)

If I came in and fixed it they'd likely be ticked off so fast

those pesky Layer9 issues can be impossible to fix (or atleast fix and stay employed)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Then their jobs would be made redundant if workers could manage themselves. Besides, they lose the fun of micromanaging things then.

Funny thing is that before the last big musical managment the office I'm in had the highest user satisfaction rate
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
Layer 8 & 9 get me everytime

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by calvinj:

Layer 8 & 9 get me everytime

Layer 8 isn't a big deal much, its layer 9 that kills me
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Politics, money or personnel?

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

layer9 = managment
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...riiiight, I forgot that one DarkLogix

Regards

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

2 edits

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya you went right to Layer10

just a refresh
Layer8=end user
Layer9=end user's boss
Layer10=athority outside of the company(government genrally)
Layer11=laws of science