uniqs

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna

[TV] HPNA tech just not good enough - Maybe Telus shouldn't try:

This is just my own experience.

I've been trying TV over HPNA since I got set up (the past few months) and when I had one TV it was generally ok. My wife complained a lot about artifacts, jitters on the picture every so often, some recordings that were corrupted and unviewable in large sections, I complained about hockey being frustrating cause the action could freeze at anytime for a split second or two.

It wasn't occurring *that* much so I told her to suck it up.

Then I got another box, this time connected to ethernet. Then everything went worse, especially when the other box turned on and this week, I was forced to run a long ethernet cable to the TV which made everything so much better and I don't know why I made my wife suffer for so long hahaha (she's the main TV watcher)

I'm confused why my HPNA was so shoddy. From where the actiontec is set up (upstairs in master bedroom), There is a coax cable that goes directly to the TV. It was a straight line connection from the actiontec to TV. The house is 4 years old so it's not like it's really old cabling (maybe cheap ones).

I would like to use HPNA to avoid long cables across the house but it's gotta work.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

Re: [TV] HPNA tech just not good enough - Maybe Telus shouldn't

HPNA isn't shoddy, it's your house wiring or the termination of the cable.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to ynohtna

Premium Member

to ynohtna
HPNA is more than fast enough to support multiple streams to multiple devices with no issues.
said by ynohtna:

The house is 4 years old so it's not like it's really old cabling (maybe cheap ones).

Old cabling is rarely the problem.

A damaged section of cable, kinks in the cable, staples that have been driven in so hard as to crush the cable, improper terminations, improper grounding. These are all problems that can seriously affect coax performance even in a relatively new install.

Open taps, cheap splitters, or excessive splitting, can also cause problems.

Also, it is possible one of the HPNA devices is defective.

First thing I'd do is take a short coax patch cable and connect the DVR/STB directly to the router (you might have to temporarily relocate your TV). See if the issues go away. If they do, you've got an issue with your house coax. Start by checking the terminations to the wall plates.

ynohtna
Need... Speed
join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC

ynohtna

Oh that's not going to be fun to troubleshoot... so weird, I know the previous owners had Optik TV too, I wonder if they had these issues.

Is there a tester I could plug on both ends of the cable or something to see the 'quality'? 46" LCD CCFL backlit tv not fun to move around (main floor kitchen) DSL box is upstairs in the master bed. For some reason, I have no phone jacks on the main floor such a weird house!
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

xeonic

Premium Member

I read on another forum a customer who was using HPNA was having issues like you and it turned out that it had nothing to do with the coax. They had a telephone sitting above the dishwasher in the kitchen and this was introducing interference into the telephone line which made its way back to the DSL modem and was causing all the pixelation and freezing problems. So I don't know it is possible but maybe you could look for something similiar? Maybe it isn't the dishwasher but some other device? Just a thought...

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to ynohtna

to ynohtna
Just a guess, but also make sure that Shaw's main tap has been disconnected from your premises. The only main piece of equipment that should be connected to your coax should be the Actiontec gateway. I've heard of TELUS not disconnecting the SHAW tap, which causes a lot of chaos and troubleshooting nightmares for the SHAW techs. This is mostly due to the HPNA hardware spitting interference back into the HFC network.