how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

faze

join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD

Coverage issue?

A little background...area code 21136 has always been spotty for data coverage for anything but Verizon. Sprint and Verizon have a tower within 1/4 mile of each other. Sprint tower is on a one story office building, Verizon tower is basically in my front yard and is its own building and tower. Wifi in the area also sucks horribly. So I have a feeling the Verizon tower is at fault. I am trying to get Sprint to send this issue to their field techs but I just keep getting the same nonsensical ticket support calls that go nowhere.

4G basically dies as soon as I turn onto the street in front of my neighborhood. I have 4G for a second or two in the house in certain places, but it dies again if I move. 3G is about 300kbit or slower with a 500ms ping time to a speedtest.net server 10 miles away.

How do I address this to fix the area wide issue that no one seems to understand? I am happy to answer any questions to help clarify.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

verizon evdo sits on 850Mhz and 1900Mhz...their LTE sits on 700Mhz.

wifi sits on 2400Mhz... sprint wimax sits on 2500Mhz and sprint evdo sits on 1900Mhz.

I don't think the verizon signal is messing up wifi or wimax.

Since wifi sits in the 2400Mhz and the WiMax sits in the 2500Mhz range it sounds like you have something causing problems in those zones.

You have to keep hounding them with tickets... get everyone you know with the service in your area to also report it... until they see a blip in the numbers they will just keep gathering it as data and wont take action.

Are there a lot of halogen lamps in the area? Those have been known to cause issues with wifi and wimax... are there any fast food signs? As strange as it sounds fast food signs (like a mcdonalds signs with wifi hotspots in them) caused serious issues for all of sprints products in the past.

If the problem is only in your house some thing to try would be :

1. turn off halogen lamps
2. turn off video senders
3. turn off baby monitors
4. turn off anything that uses the 2.4-2.5 Ghz range

Also does it fail all day long? If you find it is working during the day, and not at night, it could be lighting that kicks on and starts spewing RF noise...

Good luck!

faze

Reisterstown, MD

It's 24/7, and 4G is spotty in the area, and 3G is almost always slow. 300kbit down with 3G, 4G is pretty slow and hardly ever connects.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by faze:

It's 24/7, and 4G is spotty in the area, and 3G is almost always slow. 300kbit down with 3G, 4G is pretty slow and hardly ever connects.

The 3g being slow is just an overloaded 3g network is my guess... it sits at 1900Mhz... quite a ways from the wifi and wimax zones.

Keep reporting and have your friends with the service report!

Good luck!

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to faze

Just curious on this... what device are you using?

Do you have multiple devices? (wimax phone + wimax card, etc)

Does the 4G work properly when you are at other locations?

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I have the Epic 4G Touch (SGSII). My wife has the iPhone 4. Haven't really looked into her phone. But when she had T-Mobile she only had 2G where I had very slow 3G, seems like an area issue to me.

4G works perfectly fine elsewhere. 8mbit-15mbit usually. Around town, it sucks. Very spotty.