uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to jfmezei

to jfmezei

Re: CRTC issues decision that may affect the DMC

said by jfmezei:

So, Bell comes in. There is no demarc, so the visit is "free". However, Bell can install a demarc, and once done, it can tell the customer the problem is in hsi inside wiring at which point, Bell could perform the work to fix it and bill the DMC charge.

No, not exactly. The DMC is (supposed to be) only if the problem is not with Bell's lines, and cannot be charged under the new rules if a modern demarc is not present prior to the visit.

They can however offer to fix the interior problem AFTER installing the demarc, at whatever they charge for such service. The difference is that before, they could have still added the DMC on top of that.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bt:

No, not exactly. The DMC is (supposed to be) only if the problem is not with Bell's lines, and cannot be charged under the new rules if a modern demarc is not present prior to the visit.

They can however offer to fix the interior problem AFTER installing the demarc, at whatever they charge for such service.

The difference is that before, they could have still added the DMC on top of that.

In theory that sounds like an improvement over the status quo.

Though I still see an aperature for abuse of policy by Bell and/or their techs.
bt
canada

bt

said by Davesnothere:

In theory that sounds like an improvement over the status quo.

Though I still see an aperature for abuse of policy by Bell and/or their techs.

It is an improvement, as it at least gives an easy way to fight the DMC if the customer doesn't have a modern demarc.

But yeah, Bell can still try to milk actual repair charges, and still throw DMCs out there to see who doesn't bother fighting it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bt:

....But yeah, Bell can still try to milk, er, I mean Bilk actual repair charges, and still throw DMCs out there to see who doesn't bother fighting it.

And don't think that a back room conversation is not taking place at Bell tonight, or even as we speak.

MOOOOOOO !!!!
bt
canada

bt

They can't just drop the repair charges on you out of the blue though. You have to explicitly agree to the repairs before they can charge you for them. So they are significantly less exploitable than the DMC has been.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bt:

They can't just drop the repair charges on you out of the blue....

[Cue sound effects for falling bombs]

Agreed.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

I wonder if there will now be black market for demarks without the testing jack. When you have a problem, you replace the new demarc with an old one, this way Bell can't charge you for the visit

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

I wonder if there will now be black market for demarks without the testing jack. When you have a problem, you replace the new demarc with an old one, this way Bell can't charge you for the visit

LOL JF, you sure have some imagination...

Back in the day, I took a hammer to my old demarc cover giving it a nice crack & chip, and poured salt water on the terminals, which resulted in nice corrosion after a week or so. Then I called 611 and said i have noise on my line when it rains yadayada... tech came over, said omg what nasty demarc and ran to his truck and installed a demarc with a test jack.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

....Back in the day, I took a hammer to my old demarc cover giving it a nice crack & chip, and poured salt water on the terminals, which resulted in nice corrosion after a week or so. Then I called 611 and said i have noise on my line when it rains yadayada... tech came over, said omg what nasty demarc and ran to his truck and installed a demarc with a test jack.

Talk about imagination !

Makes me wonder now - whether B$ELL really DESERVES all of the bad rhetoric and press that they get ?