Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TwighlightLA
Premium
join:2010-07-03
kudos:1

Anonymous message board users

First off I know that the site gives me the opportunity to adjust my settings to not have their posts show up. So no need to cover that.

What I'm curious about is where do they come from and how exactly step by step do they post to this site?

All forums I've belonged to or still belong to except this one doesn't permit anonymous message board users. So it is a relatively speaking somewhat of a new thing for me.

All forums I've ever posted in required a membership and signup with a designated member or user name.

Explain it to me. Tell it slow and tell it twice.

mod_wastrel
anonome

join:2008-03-28
Search for previous threads on this subject and you'll find all the explanation you desire.

As for how, try it yourself... so easy, even a caveman could do it.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to TwighlightLA
said by TwighlightLA:

What I'm curious about is where do they come from

The same places registered members come from.

and how exactly step by step do they post to this site?

They click the reply button to a post or a topic. Log out and try it.
--
hey Dale

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to TwighlightLA
You don't even need to log out to see. Just change "dslreports" to "broadbandreports" in the url (or vice-versa). For some reason they are treated as two different sites again. for added fun, turn off adblock and marvel at how weird the site looks with banner ads.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

mod_wastrel
anonome

said by Weirdal:

For some reason they are treated as two different sites again.

»Site FAQ »Broadbandreports.com vs dslreports.com
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

ssentaf

@verizon.net
reply to fatness
.em ton si sihT

mod_wastrel
anonome

Help! I'm stuck in this mirror, and I can't get out!

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to mod_wastrel
said by mod_wastrel:

said by Weirdal:

For some reason they are treated as two different sites again.

»Site FAQ »Broadbandreports.com vs dslreports.com

Did you even read that?

quote:
As of 25th November 2005, we are restricting logins to our domain dslreports.com only. We are also going to automatically and transparently redirect all anonymous visitors to the dslreports.com domain as well. The broadbandreports.com domain will remain active, and our site logo will remain broadbandreports.com. Existing logins on broadbandreports.com will remain active, just for convenience. However, sooner or later, they will expire.

That's not true anymore. Anonymous users aren't redirected at all so all you have to do to post anon is go to BBR. That's why I said "again", because some time after they made that change it reverted back to the old behavior.
--

mod_wastrel
anonome

Did you read all of it? The section which mentions "page rank" is the relevant part, and why I pointed to it (which explains why the two "sites" are "different" [again]).
--

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
said by mod_wastrel:

Did you read all of it? The section which mentions "page rank" is the relevant part, and why I pointed to it (which explains why the two "sites" are "different" [again]).

You've got that entirely backwards. The whole faq makes the case that redirecting BBR to DSLR was necessary so that the pageranks are not fractured between the two sites. If 100 people are linking to a dslr page and 50 people are linking to the same BBR page, it only hurts the pageranking. You want to have a single domain so you get 150 links to a single DSLR page. It makes perfect sense why Justin would want all the BBR pages redirected, and that's exactly what happened in 2005.

Since then (and since the FAQ was written), the behavior was changed back to the pre-2005 way. Once again, google results are fractured and the pageranking suffers. The FAQ does nothing to explain this change.
--

mod_wastrel
anonome

Reading is fundamental.
Expand your moderator at work

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to mod_wastrel

Re: Anonymous message board users

said by mod_wastrel:

Reading is fundamental.

I really don't see how you're not understanding this. Some time since that FAQ was written (I'd guess around 2007-8) it was changed back to the old way. The FAQ has not been updated to explain that change, and I don't believe Justin has commented on it either. The new behavior contradicts everything in that FAQ, and it contradicts everything Justin explains here: »Farewell to Broadbandreports.com
--

mod_wastrel
anonome

1 edit

1 recommendation

In the beginning there was the site, dslreports.com, and the site was good. Then, recognizing the diversity of the market, He created broadbandreports.com. And He joined the two sites at the hip, and they were as one... almo$t. The demon PageRank caused the two to be torn asunder, whereupon one continued to thrive while the other withered and became wholly ghost-like.

(The "shadow site", broadbandreports.com, can still be found--if you seek it out... but it just ain't the same thing as dslreports.com--which once was not the case. There once was a redirect; now there isn't, I presume because its usefulness "expired" [like the cookies]--as opposed to it being unintentional (and, actually, you might still see a redirect if you have some "BBR" cookies that aren't expired). The moral of this tale: don't take every word in an FAQ as gospel. They become dated, don't get updated, and not every, little detail gets related. I expect everything in the FAQ was accurate at the time of posting (in 2005); I don't expect that to be the case 5 or 6 years later. [There are a number of other "out of date" FAQs on this site, too.] But if you're going to nit-pick every, little thing... then you're missing the main point that this FAQ is making. [I really don't know what it is you're picking at, but feel free to continue if that's your wish. I'll leave you to it.])
--