spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JPKey
@comcastbusiness.net

JPKey

Anon

[DTA] 2 DTA boxes in same room

My partner and I share a large studio apartment. We do not enjoy the same TV shows (I wear headphones) and Comcast recently provided 2 identical boxes. We cannot use both because they both operate on the same remote frequency. Any suggestions?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

Don't you have a full digital box as part of your subscription? (normally you do + the 2 DTA's) Swap one of the DTA's for wherever the full box is & your set.
Or if you do NOT want the TV to loose the full box where it's currently at, you'll have to upgrade to another full box.

Unfortunately, none of the Comcast boxes allow you to change "remote codes", like the DBS boxes usually allow you to do.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to JPKey

to JPKey
Use the remote ir blast that came with the dtas. you can place the dtas behind the tvs and mount one sensor high and one low.

I did this for a customer that had 2 tvs one atop the other and it worked well. This was in a small room however, so it was easy to gain better separation.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo to JPKey

to JPKey
I believe the Thomson and Motorola DTA boxes uses different remote codes. See is you can get one DTA from a different manufacturer.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to dishrich

MVM

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

Don't you have a full digital box as part of your subscription? (normally you do + the 2 DTA's) Swap one of the DTA's for wherever the full box is & your set.

I believe the RNG series and the Motorola DCX series use the same codes as the DTA's. The DCX's also support the older Motorola code. Getting a full box may or may not help, depending on what style of box available.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yes, I can control my Thomson DCI105 DTA with the "platinum" remotes that were supplied with my Cisco RNG100 and RNG150 STBs.

I have the DTA tucked behind the VCR it's connected to, and use the DTA's cabled IR receiver "bug" to control it.

I slid a piece of black tubing over that IR bug to prevent the remote for the RNG box, that I also use in that room, from accidentally changing the DTA's channel that I have it set to record from.

To then change the DTA's channel, I either temporarily slide the tubing off the IR bug, or (more often) just stick a remote over the top the VCR to hit the IR sensor on the front panel of the DTA.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit

dishrich to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

I believe the RNG series and the Motorola DCX series use the same codes as the DTA's. The DCX's also support the older Motorola code. Getting a full box may or may not help, depending on what style of box available.

Well we are on a Moto system here, & have multiple series of (full) Moto boxes, such as the DCX's, DCH's, & DCT's - as well as the RNG110 HD box. (which do use the those same Moto codes) Anytime I've messed with these styles of boxes, they always had the same IR codes in the CC silver remotes.
So saying that, the DTA's/remotes our system uses (such as the Pace DC50X's) did NOT have the same IR codes as our Moto boxes - so therefore I have NOT run into any of our DTA remotes that would work our Moto boxes, & visa versa.

Personally I have a DCH70 & Pace DTA & their remotes will NOT run each other at all.

Course it would have helped if the (unregistered) OP gave us some more information to work with, such as what system he's on...

SoJoSteve
@comcast.net

SoJoSteve

Anon

We have our outlet going through a splitter between our HD DVR and a DTA. The DTA is connected to our last working VCR so we can record the last ABC Soap (General Hospital) and keep our DVR space free for the rest of our recording needs. Since the remotes control both DVR and DTA, we have the DTA set on channel 6 (local ABC) and covered the entire DTA with foil.