spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2012

@comcast.net

General networking/router question

In a typical enterprise network, do they use more than one router? If so, does that mean they need multiple connections from the ISP (one per router)? I just finished studying networking, and they never mentioned how this works.

I assume most typical routers (Cisco 1941, for example), cannot support an entire enterprise network.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

said by dsl2012 :

In a typical enterprise network, do they use more than one router? If so, does that mean they need multiple connections from the ISP (one per router)? I just finished studying networking, and they never mentioned how this works.

I assume most typical routers (Cisco 1941, for example), cannot support an entire enterprise network.

In a typical enterprise network, do they use more than one router?
--YES

how many depends on networking needs, if the network is large and has many large subnets or even few separate networks they have more than one router, it is especially true if they have more than floor or office building.

If so, does that mean they need multiple connections from the ISP (one per router)?

No, not if they are in the same LAN, but one router can have two or more WAN connections for load balancing or backup.

Whatever networking you studying doesn't sound like from preparation material for CCNA. Even if books don't mention directly, you should have been able to gather enough information from studying to deduct answer for this.

dsl2012

@comcast.net

quote:
If so, does that mean they need multiple connections from the ISP (one per router)?

No, not if they are in the same LAN, but one router can have two or more WAN connections for load balancing or backup.

Whatever networking you studying doesn't sound like from preparation material for CCNA. Even if books don't mention directly, you should have been able to gather enough information from studying to deduct answer for this.
If the routers are in the same LAN, do they connect to each other through Ethernet cables?

How do the multiple connections from the ISP work? Are they separate outlets with separate modems?