« Tivo QuestionsFinally upgraded... »
This is a sub-selection from ultra tv
prospector00
join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL

prospector00 to 67845017

to 67845017

Re: ultra tv

I'm with Rich K. I hope the installation tech helps me set this up.

The little bit of research I tried to do on this topic led me to believe that if you have Windows 7, Windows Media Connect is already installed and ready to go.

I admire you hardware geeks for your knowledge and I'm sure you set up a lot of cool things, but about 90% of the discussion around here is so far over my head it's not funny!
richkut
join:2012-02-10
Cleveland, OH

richkut

WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER is preinstalled as a part of Win7, but I believe that Windows Media Connect is a separate animal. Please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, I googled it yesterday and was taken to the MS web site, but when I attempted to D/L Windows Media Connect 2.0 it ended up being a dead link. I would prefer to use a FREE DLNA server, too, so I really don't want to pay for PlayOn. If TVersity works well, I would prefer to go that route. Any more comments, please?
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7

Media Connect is included on Windows computers. It is a feature of Windows Media Player; not a standalone program. One of the others is free as well.
richkut
join:2012-02-10
Cleveland, OH

richkut

Thanks for the much-needed correction! I'm happy to know that I'm ready to roll with my Win 7 Pro PCs.
prospector00
join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL

prospector00 to sgc7

to sgc7
said by sgc7:

Media Connect is included on Windows computers. It is a feature of Windows Media Player; not a standalone program. One of the others is free as well.

Right, that's how I understood it too. Apparently, Media Connect used to be a standalone program (hence the references to 2.0 out there) but is now part of Windows Media Player. I talked to the tech who will be setting me up this afternoon and he's anxious to work through this too, so I'll let everyone know how it comes out.
pcvtre
join:2012-01-27
Park Ridge, IL

pcvtre

Tech support just confirmed that you do not need a phone line. If you are connecting 4 or more TVs to the system, Direct TV is cheaper over a two year period. Looks like Wow is targeting 2 to 3 TV customers with their initial pricing. I assume it will eventually drop once the initial demand is met so they can compete with Dish and Direct TV.

boop
@wideopenwest.com

boop

Anon

Yeah, for 2 TV's it's going to be nice. Going from 2 HD DVR's to Ultra TV on 2 TV's is actually going to save me money.