mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

2 edits

mogamer to 67845017

to 67845017

Re: ultra tv

said by 67845017:

The problem is the MoCA network I run. As it exists now, the Actiontec MI424WR that I use as a MoCA bridge connects via ethernet to the cable modem. Then I connect the MI424WR to the cable running in the house. I have several other MI424WR routers that then provide wired access to other devices in the house.

At this point, I don't know how the Media Gateway will interface into my system. Although, I'm hopeful that simply splitting the cable will work.

The picture shows basically how I'm set up, although I have a lot more Actiontec routers throughout the house and use the Actiontec as my main router rather than the router shown. I got the diagram from »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· =1145636, which is where I learned to set up the MoCA network.

The biggest problem is that the stb's will be directly connecting to the modem/router and not to the incoming cable. It looks like you'd need to split the cable many times from the source going to the gateway and the routers, and would probably need a signal booster. And that's not even taking into account signal interference between the MOCA and cable systems. You probably can re-use your existing coax though, so it may not be as difficult as you think.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by mogamer:

said by 67845017:

The problem is the MoCA network I run. As it exists now, the Actiontec MI424WR that I use as a MoCA bridge connects via ethernet to the cable modem. Then I connect the MI424WR to the cable running in the house. I have several other MI424WR routers that then provide wired access to other devices in the house.

At this point, I don't know how the Media Gateway will interface into my system. Although, I'm hopeful that simply splitting the cable will work.

The picture shows basically how I'm set up, although I have a lot more Actiontec routers throughout the house and use the Actiontec as my main router rather than the router shown. I got the diagram from »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· =1145636, which is where I learned to set up the MoCA network.

The biggest problem is that the stb's will be directly connecting to the modem/router and not to the incoming cable. It looks like you'd need to split the cable many times from the source going to the gateway and the routers, and would probably need a signal booster. And that's not even taking into account signal interference between the MOCA and cable systems. You probably can re-use your existing coax though, so it may not be as difficult as you think.

Thanks. I've got a gazillion splits as it is and a couple of amps. I can only imagine the issues if I put another one or two in there of each.

Could you explain a little more about the connection between the STBs and the router/modem?

I'm hopeful that the cable company boxes do, or can be made to, work on a different MoCA frequency from my own network.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by 67845017:

said by mogamer:

said by 67845017:

Thanks. I've got a gazillion splits as it is and a couple of amps. I can only imagine the issues if I put another one or two in there of each.

Could you explain a little more about the connection between the STBs and the router/modem?

I'm hopeful that the cable company boxes do, or can be made to, work on a different MoCA frequency from my own network.

From what I've seen looking at the Arris WHDVR from Shaw, the gateway is the dvr, modem and router. All of the stb's are connected to this box via MOCA/coax. There might be distribution box somewhere along the line to distribute the info from the gateway to the stbs. This is why I mentioned connecting your system through the coax going into your house before it gets to the gateway. I would think there would be less conflicts.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Makes sense. I could probably do that since all the coax ends are fairly accessible. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it all works without a hitch. I'll have to make sure that WOW doesn't cut the comcast line and only disconnects it, in case things don't work out and I have to revert.