Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

Battery Backup Replacement

Click for full size
Today, my replace battery light on the battery backup unit came on. I've had Fios for less than a year, but we did have a couple of extended power outages, so that may have hurt the longevity of the battery.

I called Veirzon and it's under warranty still, so a replacement battery is on the way.

Anyhow, the Fios unit was put in as we were renovating our basement. The Fios tech put the unit in before the ceiling was installed. The ceiling was then installed and I can't open up the battery unit.

What's the best way to replace the battery with the least amount of cutting away at the ceiling?
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

I would have the tech when he comes move the BBU & ONT lower so that only a hole for the fiber & coax is needed. You may have to get somone back out to patch the sheetrock though. Easiest thing to do is cut the sheetrock away so the door can be opened if there are screws holding the BBU & ONT in place behind it. Might be better to wait for a tech and see if he can move it down with minimal impact to your ceiling sheetrock.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to Lex Luthor

Premium Member

to Lex Luthor
Just cut it open, cut out a nice square hole big enough for the door to fully open.. one way or the other you need to cut it big enough for the door to fully open because that's the only way you or FIOS tech will be able to get to the mounting screws to move it down and next to the ONT. Then either patch yourself or get a drywaller depending on your skill level.

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

They are mailing me the battery. There's no tech coming out.

Is that typical? I guess I'm going to have to cut away the drywall enough to get the door open far enough to replace the battery.

I'm not going to worry too much about repairing the drywall. It's inside a closet. My electrical panel is in there too, so it's already got some openings.

I just want to cut away as little as possible. I didn't figure there might be some trick I could use to get that door off without having to swing it open, but I figured I'd ask.

Should I explain the situation to Verizon and maybe ask for a tech to come out to move the box down some? Will they do that for free? Where is the battery backup screwed it? He'll probably need to cut away the drywall to get the battery backup detached from the wall anyhow? I can't imagine he'll repair that anyhow.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

If you want to leave the ONT where it is, you need to cut away a few inches on the right side and front of the ONT. You can then pop the BBU cover off by wiggling the door off the hinges on the right side.....

It isn't too hard to remove the cover - you just need to have enough clearance to get it off the hinges.

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by nycdave:

If you want to leave the ONT where it is, you need to cut away a few inches on the right side and front of the ONT. You can then pop the BBU cover off by wiggling the door off the hinges on the right side.....

It isn't too hard to remove the cover - you just need to have enough clearance to get it off the hinges.

That's what I was looking for. I popped off the left side a bit, as you can see, and the door opens a bit, but you are saying I can get the hinges off on the right and then just lower the whole panel down with just a little more clearance? There's no pin in the hinges or anything? How exactly do I get it off the hinges?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Just pop the cover off the hinges. There is no pin. If you can 't get it off that way. You are going to have to cut some of the ceiling back.
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have seen worse....I could hear the battery backup beeping but I could not find the ONT. A little work with a hammer found it!

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N

You have GOT to be kidding!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Was that even legal? There's no way that install was legal!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to sneakaround

MVM

to sneakaround
Now where was this?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Amazing the ONT didn't catch fire with all the drywall and insulation sitting in there. Did Verizon install the ONT like that and patch the wall or did someone drywall over it? lol

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

My guess is that someone drywalled over it, considering how the breaker box sits.

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth

The hinges on the onts/bbus are not hard to take apart, either you need to lift the door off the pin, or push the door until the door pops off the unit.I think on that one the hinge snaps onto a center pin.Either way you won't need to cut much more.
Grab a little mirror put it up against the wall and look at the hinge from behind the covering you'll get a better view of how it's on there, and the angle you will need to get the door before it will pop off.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

His BBU cover has snap on hinges. Just pop it off.
@R4MON of course the install was done legally. Do you think the tech magically installed the ONT behind existing drywall?

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

Success!

I wasn't quite able to figure out (or make enough room) how to snap off the hinges.

I was able to cut the sheetrock back about an inch using scissors. At that point, I was able to swing open the door a little more and pull it down just enough to get the left part of it under the sheetrock so that it opened just a bit further. I was then able to squeeze my hands in there and just slip the old battery out and the new battery in and connect the wires.

Probably lucky the plastic didn't snap doing that, but somehow it worked out.

Thanks all.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to sneakaround

Premium Member

to sneakaround
wow. lol
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33 to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
said by Lex Luthor:

Success!

I wasn't quite able to figure out (or make enough room) how to snap off the hinges.

I was able to cut the sheetrock back about an inch using scissors. At that point, I was able to swing open the door a little more and pull it down just enough to get the left part of it under the sheetrock so that it opened just a bit further. I was then able to squeeze my hands in there and just slip the old battery out and the new battery in and connect the wires.

Probably lucky the plastic didn't snap doing that, but somehow it worked out.

Thanks all.

Hopefully the replacement lasts the expected 3-5 years for you. What do they have you do with the old battery? Do they include a postage-paid label to send it to a recycling center?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by JTS33:

What do they have you do with the old battery? Do they include a postage-paid label to send it to a recycling center?

Home Depot and Lowes, Radio Shack, and many others have drop off centers to recycle batteries, including ni-cads as well as lead cells.

Battery industry funds the program, free to consumers. For locations near you, check out »www.call2recycle.org

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor to JTS33

Mod

to JTS33
said by JTS33:

Hopefully the replacement lasts the expected 3-5 years for you. What do they have you do with the old battery? Do they include a postage-paid label to send it to a recycling center?

No, they pretty much said go ahead and try to find a place to recycle it on your own. I think there was a web link and phone number to some recycle thing, but the message on the machine said something about not recycling for Verizon anymore. The link birdfeedr posted would have been nice to have. Pretty irresponsible of Verizon to not have included that link.
Maynorqt
join:2012-03-02
San Antonio, TX

Maynorqt to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
FYI: Any requests for ONT/BBU moves are free. Just call tech support, whether you are a customer or not, just advise you want a tech out to move the ONT or BBU, which they should be dispatching a tech our for it with no problems.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

They would do that for non-customers?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to sneakaround

Premium Member

to sneakaround
said by sneakaround:

I have seen worse....I could hear the battery backup beeping but I could not find the ONT. A little work with a hammer found it!

Why the heck would someone cover it with drywall? That makes absolutely no sense.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

They would do that for non-customers?

Yes Fiosman they do. It is VZ equipment.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I'm aware that its their equipment, but its still a non paying customer...whatever

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

It doesn't matter. It is still VZ equipment and they are responsible for it. So, If a former customer wants equipment moved, or removed,VZ will send a tech out to move it or reclaim the equipment.