spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sharagim1
join:2012-02-10
Pleasant Hill, CA

sharagim1

how can check (upstream,down stream snr) with signal meter

i do have signal meter,(comcast meter), but i just wondering ,how can i check line level (upstream,downstream,snr)with this meter?
i hope some of comcast tec see my questions and response to me, or any other people who knows it, thanks for all your respons.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy

try calling your local office. maybe they can walk you through some things.
you might even ask them if any techs lost a meter?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to sharagim1

to sharagim1
how do you have a "comcast meter" and not know how to use it?

note: there are about 12 common meters used this day in age.
gar187er

gar187er to obckilroy

to obckilroy
said by obckilroy:

try calling your local office. maybe they can walk you through some things.
you might even ask them if any techs lost a meter?

id start with the second

call center people have zero idea what a meter even looks like...
sharagim1
Pleasant Hill, CA

sharagim1

i know how yo use it, but i don"t know how to check the upstream, downstream, snr. you have computer , do you know all the stuff of your omputer?

news
@videotron.ca

news

Anon

Just curious, what's the brand and model number of the meter?

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to sharagim1

Premium Member

to sharagim1
said by sharagim1:

i know how yo use it, but i don"t know how to check the upstream, downstream, snr. you have computer , do you know all the stuff of your omputer?

You dont have to know how the meter is made.. but that is basically 50% of what you would use a meter for.. and if you do not know how to do that- the question kind of remains.. how did you get the meter?

Or- What kind is it. There are different ways to get levels based on what meter it is.
sharagim1
Pleasant Hill, CA

sharagim1

860 dspi
my job is satellite installation. and just last week i was hired in of the cable compony which hast contract with comcast.
too many time ask them how can i check upstream,down stream and snr with this meter(860 dspi) but for different exuse they din"t show me?
and also i search online for learn it , but i couldn"t find any instruction,
i hope you guys able to lean me with instruction, would be great, and always i remeber it . thanks guys
noobfragger
join:2008-01-16
Elk Grove, CA

noobfragger to sharagim1

to sharagim1
Here is the manual, It actually explains how to do all of the testing, Enjoy.
May take a few minutes to download, Kind of large.

»vault.trilithic.com/inst ··· ions.pdf

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to sharagim1

to sharagim1
Capabilities available to you may depend on the firmware installed and what features were purchased and enabled on the device. For DOCSIS, there should be a "CM" module you can use. MER (media error rate) and BER (bit error rate) modules help measure the quality of a QAM carrier and the encoded data. RSVP is another module that can be used to do upstream evaluations, but configuring requires information provided by the cable co for a given system, provided they have the necessary gear in the headend to support RSVP.

I think, at least, a basic understanding of how an HFC network actually operates would help tremendously, rather than just knowing how to access and use these features.

Disclaimer: I am not a field tech, nor have I ever been. The information above is opinion/knowledge I've gained working with field techs and other sources over the last 6+ years. Much more qualified folks like CableTool See Profile and gar187er See Profile would be able to provide more accurate and beneficial information than I. I just wanted to post some basic information based on my knowledge and experiences, since I'm up a 3 AM with my sick son.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er to sharagim1

to sharagim1
said by sharagim1:

yes i do, ive built my computers since 1999, and have been using SLMs since 2005
gar187er

gar187er to sharagim1

to sharagim1
when you power it on, the first couple options are what you want...not hiding.....level, qam....option 5 is to lock your modem.....but you need to know the channel plan....so youll have to scan and get the meter to learn it...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to defiant8

Premium Member

to defiant8
said by defiant8:

MER (media error rate)

FWIW, MER = Modulation Error Ratio.

defiant8
Monroe, MI

defiant8

close enough
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to sharagim1

to sharagim1
does anyone's meter pull the USNR? we get ours off a website, just curious.

defiant8
Monroe, MI

defiant8

Via RSVP, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it's a broader measurement of the entire return path, not just what the CMTS is calculating.

fhnbjhvn
@spcsdns.net

fhnbjhvn to krommulent

Anon

to krommulent
No meter can measure usnr. Only the cmts can.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to krommulent

Premium Member

to krommulent
said by krommulent:

does anyone's meter pull the USNR? we get ours off a website, just curious.

For curiosity's sake please, what "site" might that be ?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

pathtrack.....intranet....
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to sharagim1

to sharagim1
we had the sencore rep in our office and he said they were working on a way to read it on the meter. where that went is beyond me, so long as the meter's mac is provisioned on the cmts i see no reason why it's impossible. easy or cheap may be another story.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

pathtrack.....intranet....

Wasn't asking you gar but they must be an employee (Charter).

defiant8
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to fhnbjhvn

to fhnbjhvn
said by fhnbjhvn :

No meter can measure usnr. Only the cmts can.

Not directly.
»instruments.trilithic.co ··· vp2.html

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

that pulls data from the cmts, and is fairly antiquated....SSR is a much superior option not to mention allows reverse sweep.....

our system just bought jdsu meters to replace out tris, but they still have the SSRs hooked up, and i hope they dont go away....cause they only bought 1 reverse sweep jdsu unit so we can only have 8 nodes hooked up at once.....lame.....not to mention they have yet to buy the web unit....

defiant8
Monroe, MI

defiant8

Doesn't communicate with the CMTS, it's a separate device in the hub/headend which does the monitoring.

It was merely meant as an example of test equipment for the return path.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to sharagim1

to sharagim1
said by sharagim1:

860 dspi
my job is satellite installation. and just last week i was hired in of the cable compony which hast contract with comcast.
too many time ask them how can i check upstream,down stream and snr with this meter(860 dspi) but for different exuse they din"t show me?
and also i search online for learn it , but i couldn"t find any instruction,
i hope you guys able to lean me with instruction, would be great, and always i remeber it . thanks guys

Great.. another contractor out in the field without the proper tools to get the job done.
Expand your moderator at work
sharagim1
Pleasant Hill, CA

sharagim1 to rendrenner

to rendrenner

Re: how can check (upstream,down stream snr) with signal meter

don"t think i can"t get job done , i know for 3 ways for check level, check with pc, ask from dispatch, get all info from smart phone, after active service, and ask comcast tec support.
but some of the location they have realy bad signal(high signal, or low signal)
if i want to get green level , that"s realy hard for call and ask wht"s my level now every time after add spliter or reduce signal by svg 6 or svg9,
meter would be great and you can adjust it faster than other way.
sharagim1

sharagim1 to gar187er

to gar187er
thanks for response, i know how to do home certification, i"m doing every job, but take time at least 3 to 5 min to lock up,
is it possible just conect to the cable coax which is conect to the modem or emta, an then see wht"s my power level for upstream ,down stream, and snr?
same as test signal level in channel 2, it give you +18, or +4 or......,
i can go to the »192.168.100.1 and cjeck the level,
but i realy need to learn this way with meter, if can i catch it fast less than 10 secound would be great.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

Not that quick.
The meter needs to lock up on the upstream and downstream then sample for errors.
If you know your carriers you can program your meter to just lock on one carrier to test, otherwise I believe they scan until they find a Docsis Carrier to lock on.
I dont think this takes more then 30 secs though unless you are doing it as part of the Home Cert Auto Test.