spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

obckilroy

join:2011-11-16

is mainline cable waterproof?

How expensive would about 4 miles of waterproof cable cost? I found a sweet house and want to buy it, but it is outside of a coverage area.
I really want basic cable and 1.5meg internet service, but am a little concerned about having anyone drill to run a line to the basement of this house...

»realestate.yahoo.com/Virginia/Ma···1e0af642

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

1 edit
Wow, that is one unique "house"! If all you want is basic cable and 1.5mbps speed, satellite would be much easier to subscribe to (for both TV and internet), since you are not wanting the fast speeds. And plus, it wouldn't cost you thousands for them to [possibly] run cable out there.

I wonder if I can get Comcast on the moon.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

1 recommendation

reply to obckilroy
Great house! First, call the local Franchise authority because Comcast might be OBLIGATED to run cable to your new house.

If not, VOTE WITH YOUR POCKET and get them out of your community!!

I would avoid the basement in this situation. If you are dead stuck on them bringing in the line in the basement then ensure they seal the entry point.
Cable is waterproof, they should use electrical tape at least on the barrels if there are any exterior connections to be made. And with that much cable there will be some exterior connections.

Best of luck! Since cable and internet are a god given right you should have no issue getting this taken care of!
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Being separated from everything, I would think at some point, boredom would take hold and you will want faster speeds, so I think SAT is not a good long-term option. In general, though, there's not much storage space, but at least you won't need a lawn mower or a snow thrower. Doesn't seem to have a garage. I would also be wary of any neighbors you do have. Neighborhoods like this tend to attract partiers and things just being dumped.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to obckilroy
why are you buying a lighthouse? Did you look into hurricane insurance? Back to the subject... I don't know if comcast would hire divers to run cable underwater plus wouldn't they have to get permits from the federal government to do that?
Is this guy a troll by any chance?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
mikedz4,

Lighten up, we're just having fun.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to obckilroy
Dude that house is a great bugout house! Man when the zombie Apocalypse hits I'd love to be there. You even have a deck where you can blow away anyone who comes within a 20 foot radius, lol. But you'll definitely need cable and HSI in between trespassers.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Eh, go all starship troopers with it and install a electrified fence field that once they cross there zapped instantly.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to obckilroy
how do they get electric or telephone there?

Bath's not available? Guess you just pee off the deck or hang your rump off the railing?

Wow that's interesting. If you would install a bathroom, or yet alone how would the kitchen work? Sewer lines just dump into the ocean? Water, does it go through some kind of desalination process and super clean filtering system?

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
thats awesome

obckilroy

reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Bath's not available? Guess you just pee off the deck or hang your rump off the railing?

Of course. It is in Chesapeake Bay after all, it's already full of all the crap coming out of DC

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to obckilroy
Just lay some fiber like they do in the ocean, add in a node, a tap and a power supply and you're all set!

About 60 miles down the bay from me...

obckilroy

reply to obckilroy
power supply? does that mean I could run my lights on Comcast's dime??

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
said by obckilroy:

power supply? does that mean I could run my lights on Comcast's dime??

Not only that... but the fiber they install will keep your other pipes blockage free!

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA
reply to obckilroy
I think the only fiber underwater will be the sh**s you take off the balcony.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
reply to obckilroy
Click for full size
said by obckilroy:

How expensive would about 4 miles of waterproof cable cost? I found a sweet house and want to buy it, but it is outside of a coverage area.
I really want basic cable and 1.5meg internet service, but am a little concerned about having anyone drill to run a line to the basement of this house...

»realestate.yahoo.com/Virginia/Ma···1e0af642

Screw the underwater cable, Comcast will charge you like a billion for it. Just get an onshore neighbor to get service and use freespace optics to beam it across.

or install a pedestal on the nearest dock and have Comcast drop a modem inside, then use freespace optics. Those freespace signal transmitters will even fit in with the whole lighthouse theme.

»www.freespaceoptics.org/freespac···ault.cfm

If Comcast won't install a modem for you, just get a few of your nearest neighbors (Nemo, Sharkboy, Spongebob, etc.) together, get a OC-1 from the local telco, and start your own network.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

obckilroy

Optics? that sounds cool.
Would comcast pay for it if I signed a year long contract?
Also how bright is the light, it wouldn't keep me awake at night would it?

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
I think your chances of having Comcast do anything here are slim to none....

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to obckilroy
said by obckilroy:

Optics? that sounds cool.
Would comcast pay for it if I signed a year long contract?
Also how bright is the light, it wouldn't keep me awake at night would it?

Some are sensitive to an extended set of light frequencies, so maybe the freespace optics aren't such a good idea. You don't want to piss off any neighbors...

Try getting some RFC1149 compatible gear. It has some what more latency, but it's environmentally friendly.

If you're using VOIP or playing games you might want to get the QoS compliant RFC2549 gear.

In either case make sure you get marine compatible gear, not all of it is, especially in open ocean environments.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Da Bulls44

@comcast.net
reply to obckilroy
You might want to check is TiSP is available in your area »www.google.com/tisp/

All jokeing aside, as said before your best bet is to contact your local goverment and find out about the franchise agreement.

obckilroy

Thanks for all the input, but we're not going to make an offer on the house. We just found out that the school district won't send a boat to pick up kids for school

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
This is horrible and unfortunate news. Have you thought or LightHouse schooling them? Heck, I guess you would really need Broadband for that.. Back to square one..
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"