spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

theshadow

join:2012-02-11

Very strange situation with WPA2 router

This is my first time posting here so hi all , I just experienced a situation a few days ago to witch I have no explanation so maybe one of you guys can figure it out

Ok so here is what happened:

I have a Hp 2510p laptop (»www.notebookreview.com/default.a···sID=3905) running windows xp sp3, at home I have my WPA2 enabled network witch my laptop connects to and another WPA2 network with SSID: "dlink" (for witch I have no password, I dont even know the guy that owns it, its a neighbor I think). One day I had to go work for about 30 mins and I took my gf with me, she was waiting in the car with the laptop, she wanted to surf the net so after scanning I found a few unsecured wireless networks, 1 was called: "dlink" i tried to connect to it but couldn't (I think the signal was too weak), I think then windows registered it as a preferred network, I left quickly after not being able to connect to "dlink" and I told my gf to keep searching for an unsecured wireless network and connect to it witch she did and when I came back to the car she was using another unsecured network (I cant remember the SSID but I dont think its important). When I got home I started my laptop (my computer witch is setup as a wireless router was off), the laptop was connected to the secured "dlink"!!! I was online thou my router was off!!!. I dont use any other software to connect to wireless networks except windows, i quickly went to the saved wireless networks and checked "dlink" proprieties the security was open - unsecured yet I was connected to it, the next second I tryied to connect to the same "dlink" with my other laptop running windows 7, it was asking for a password!!! I noticed in the "dlink" proprieties on the hp laptop the password boxes were grayed out but had a password in them. The router of the "dlink" network is a DIR-300 Hardware Version : B1 Firmware Version : 2.01.

My question is: (for those of you that managed to read it all

How the hell did my hp laptop connect to the neighbor's "dlink" at home without the WPA2 password? (Should I start suspecting my gf? I'm thinking it has to do with the "dlink" at work being unsecured? Or maybe the DIR-300 has a security issue?

Thanks

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I can only guess.

Maybe the dlink is set for WPS (wireless protected setup) and gave your system a key. That might require intervention. But perhap a button lit up and flashed on the dlink router, and the owner pressed that button to silence it.

Or perhaps the dlink is setup as part of a sting operation.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 9.0.1

theshadow

join:2012-02-11
Thanks for your reply, the router is set to WPS because I now have access to it does that mean that WPS can in certain circumstances give away the WPA key? if so what are those circumstances as I have not been able to replicate the situation and connect another laptop the same way, what do you mean by "setup as part of a sting operation"?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I have always disabled WPS as a security hazard. So I don't know the full ins and outs of it. It does look to me that you have demonstrated one of the security hazards.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 9.0.1

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to theshadow
said by theshadow:

...what do you mean by "setup as part of a sting operation"?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_operation

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to theshadow
dlink is a common ssid.

I'm almost 100% certain you connected to a faint unsecured connection of the same name, signal faded due to a million reasons and you tried to connect to a secured dlink ssid.

I've had windows xp misreport security status of particular ssid's constantly. It used to show my router as unsecured periodically but its was not.
Expand your moderator at work