spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

soapguy

@rr.com

[TV] 8742HDC

Just picked up the cisco 8742HDC and installed in in my cabinet.
I have an ifrared system and I can't find the infrared on the 8742.
Can anyone help me I have tried every location on the front of the box.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
It's on the left hand side in the front. Tim can correct me if I am wrong but that's where I have always placed my IR repeater and it works fine.

soapguy

@rr.com
doesn't work anywhere in the front I have tried aeverywhere

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
Is this with the door open or shut. My thinking is you are trying to go through smoked glass with no repeater right? If so that won't fly and you will need to get an IR blaster. Generally speaking we don't supply them anymore but we do have a few around depending on your location.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
This should also work...

»www.irblaster.info/motorola_rx.html

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
well, he said he has an infared system so I would assume hes using some sort of blaster and trying to put the contact on the box over the IR sensor. I dont know on these boxes though, I havent come across one where I had to figure it out. I can try to play with mine here at home today and get an answer for you.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
Yea that was lame of me sorry. I do have an excuse though...been sick all weekend

Anyway my IR blaster from my googletv works fine with both Cisco and Samsung so I'm not sure why his isn't working..

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
Status?

vito0910

join:2005-11-08
Orlando, FL
reply to soapguy
I know this might seem silly, but I got my 8742HDC today as well. I was having some IR issues as well, until I peeled the stupid plastic off the front of it. Not sure what that was affecting it so much, but it is working now through my smoked glass doors.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by vito0910:

I know this might seem silly, but I got my 8742HDC today as well. I was having some IR issues as well, until I peeled the stupid plastic off the front of it. Not sure what that was affecting it so much, but it is working now through my smoked glass doors.

LOL not stupid at all... happens to the best of us
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

mozz

@rr.com
reply to soapguy
I am having the same issue. All of my equipment is behind wood cabinets and I use a logitech ir system. I cannot find the receiver anyw here on the box. There is a spot on the back for a wired input, but there has to be a receiver on the front somewhere...the logitech works when the cabinet is open. I have literally tried every quarter of an inch on the front. I found this guide that shows the wired input on the back, but no indication of where the receiver is on the front.

If you find it, could you post the location. Thanks.

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/.../4038345_B.pdf

facke020

join:2011-08-23
Lake Mary, FL
reply to soapguy
IR won't work behind doors. Switch to RF and you'll be fine. I had to do the same thing and it works great. No more point the remote to the device. IR is line of sight.

jnm4ksu

@98.156.14.x
reply to soapguy
I have the Time Warner Cable Kansas City 8742HDC. I finally found the IR location on the box. On the middle right hand side when the box is on you will see a little CIRCLE indicating power. The IR receiver is just to the right of that and at the bottom.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
I'm baffled by the folks having difficulty with this. I have a ton of devices throughout the house that IR extend to the cable box with the little dongle emitter sitting right in front and have zero issues on both the Samsung and Cisco boxes. Either these posters aren't telling us something (like its behind a smoked glass) or the emitter they are using isn't properly sending the right codes.

johndawn99

join:2012-03-28
Maitland, FL
We recently got the Cisco 8742HDC. It does not recognize the RF signal from our Home Theater remote unless the wooden door is in the open position. The previous box worked fine with the door closed and all other equipment receives the signal just fine. Tried positioning the sensor all over the front of the 8742 and nothing. Any ideas?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
Did you reconfigure the home theater so it knows you have a Cisco box?

johndawn99

join:2012-03-28
Maitland, FL
OK so I checked the Universal Home Theater remote manual and did not see anything about reconfiguring. I did however learn a little more about my system and figured it out (guess I should have done that befor bothering you).
I have an RF remote that sends a signal to an RF receiver that is connected to an IR blaster. Basically all I had to do was crank up the output of the IR sensor ( by turning the recessed set screw) going to the Cisco box to maximum. It was at about at half and that was just not strong enough.

Thanks again BHNtechXpert!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to soapguy
lol that''s one way to do it Glad it all worked out.