|reply to nunya |
Re: GE Generator Interlock Switch done!
nunya, what do you think of the electrician's idea of subpaneling the finished basement circuits to free up space in the main panel while cleaning it all up? I did some research and it seems to be an acceptable practice and would allow for some of those romex wires to be more easily moved from their exposed positions on the board.
nunyaWho is John Galt?Premium,MVMReviews:
O Fallon, MO
I, personally, don't care for sub panels unless absolutely necessary. I am a firm believer in the "under one roof" theory.
I'm not saying I've never slapped a sub-panel in next to the main to make more space. Shit happens, and sometimes you have to do what you have to do. There's nothing really "wrong" with doing it.
Normally when I do a sub, It's a 200A main panel on one side of the building, and a 100A sub on the opposite side. It can actually save a lot of copper and labor. Copper is expensive, so is labor.
With the 42 space rule "out the window" (finally!), there will be larger panels available. For instance »static.schneider-electric.us/doc···0802.pdf'
I've seen 52 space QO 3 phase panels many times. All they did was put a sticker on the bottom 10 KO's that said "do not remove". There was still fully functional bus underneath.
I look for 60 space 200A panels to soon be the new "normal".
Hopefully this won't be as big of an issue in future construction.
...because I care.
When the electrician and I were talking it over, he said that to go from the panel I have to a GE 40 slot panel (I think he said 40) would have been an extra $15 at the time of the build. Given that the finishing of the basement was always part of the longer term plan and everyone knew that, that is what should have been bought... but I didn't know any better at the time of the original electrical installation and that got past me.
In any event, it is what it is now. I think the subpanel idea is probably the best option given my circumstances. I'm not doing a main panel swap- that's out of the question. Segregating the in-law apartment makes logical sense, and allows for expandability in the future, as well as the ability of my generator to supply power to any of those needed subpanel circuits during an outage. And besides doing nothing and keeping the panel as-is, this seems to be the most cost effective way to put together a longer-term fix.
Again, time to ponder....