spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mtwalsh922
@mchsi.com

mtwalsh922

Anon

Port Forwarding

I'm considering a switch to Knology but I need to know first if Knology allows port forwarding so that I can still access my IP-based home security cameras while traveling. I can't get an answer from them since I'm not a customer. Does anyone use port forwarding with Knology to access internal devices or servers from outside you home network?

Thanks,

Mike

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

Knology does some port blocking but nothing that should affect your IP cameras. It would help if we knew what ports they use.

mtwalsh922
@alter.net

mtwalsh922 to mtwalsh922

Anon

to mtwalsh922
The port number for the cameras are configurable, such that the URL for one of them would be »cable_modem_ip_address:xxx.

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy to mtwalsh922

to mtwalsh922
Just set the ports in the high range and you should be fine.

Most of the blocking knology does is for old worms and windows file sharing which was a big problem in the past.

deface
join:2012-02-29
Panama City, FL

deface to mtwalsh922

to mtwalsh922
I have 6 boxes on my network, 4 unix running vps's some are running regular daemons such as FTP, SSH, Httpd, vnc, domain, imap/pop, smtp, etc.. Pretty wide range of ports from 21 - 400's so I don't think you will have any issues. Like Big said keep the ports high as to not alert knologys scanners. I've picked them up with snort just monitoring the network.
deface

deface to mtwalsh922

to mtwalsh922
I run multiple VPS's on my knology home line. I've never had any problems with 21 - 80. ftp, ssh, domain, imap, pop, smtp, httpd, all run flawlessly. I have 6 computers on the network, 4 linux and running active daemons. Never been blocked.