All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
james78
join:2012-02-09

james78

[Internet] help with dns servers for xbox 360

Let me explain what is going on, right now I put in a manual ip address, subnet mask, and my default gateway. the subnet mask and the gateway are the same if I was to my xbox choose automatically for ip settings but my ip address is out of the dhcp range. anyways when I go to test the connection it says I need a primary and secondary dns address the ones I was using before are not working so I was wondering what my dns address should be for my xbox.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Are you by some chance running double NAT (meaning a router behind a router)? If you are use DHCP the IP address it's pulling should not be out of range. There is one other possibility but we'll get to that later if needed. Also is this wired or wireless and which modem.
james78
join:2012-02-09

james78

only using the ubee modem which acts like a router. it is also wired, but the reason it is out of range is because I don't want the xbox changing the ip address which is what it does every time I turn it on I just want it on one ip address.
james78

james78

I would just like to have the dns address for when my ip address is out of the dhcp range.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to james78

Premium Member

to james78
James that is not an acceptable solution to your problem but this is...

Go into the router setup and look for an option called DHCP STATIC LEASE. Enter your Xbox MAC address there and assign it an IP within the private range shown on the screen. Then of course save the config change. No other device but your Xbox will be given that address. Then turn DHCP back on in your Xbox and reboot it.