spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thenightman4

join:2012-02-12

Brighthouse (CFL) Ubee 3201B Help with parantal control

I figured out how to enter my router settings and I'm trying to set up "Parental Control". I would like no internet connection between 12am to 6am everyday. I went into the settings and made a profile called "12345" set the check mark by "everyday" and start time 12am and end time 6am but once I press apply nothing happens. I can still access the internet with all connected devices including wireless and wired. Please help me

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
In well over a year of operation with the Ubee you are the first person to ask me this question. Let me review the guide and I'll reply back

Thenightman4

I'm just a concerned parent and have a 16yr old teen in the house so....LOL

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
I completely understand...it's ironic that we're havign this discussion because I have a project that involves just this topic pulling out the Kindle Fire now to see what the process is for that modem.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
Okay it sounds as if you have created the policy but not attached it to a specific user/MAC address.

Thenightman4

I don't see a spot to add mac address's. I see a spot called "trusted computers" but that's to add mac address's for the opposite reason.

Under "Parental Control" I have 4 tabs

User Setup
Basic
TOD Filter
Event Log

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
Right. It's under user setup

Thenightman4

Here is the user setup

Here is basic

Here is TOD Filter

Here is Event Log

I don't see a spot for adding mac address to enable the Parental Controls

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
See the top pic at the bottom where it says "trusted computer" and then a whole bunch of 00's. Now this is kind of backwards but the case of this gateway it doesn't surprise me....and it may not work...but this is what you do. Create the user, enter the MAC address off the network card for that computer and then assign the policy to it.

Thenightman4

I tried it. Didn't work. That "trusted computers" is computers you want to bypass the parental controls

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
I'm thinking it works both ways because you can limit what access the trusted computer has....bottom line it isn't working for you so my only other suggestion is to bridge the modem and use your own router with the capability. There is another solution albeit software and it isn't perfect if your child is oooober smart. If you go to »rr.com there is free parental control software similar to Netnanny which will accomplish the same thing.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Thenightman4

The only issue with that is that it's a program that only restricts for that specific computer only. We have 1 desktop and 3 wireless devices... I was hoping to get the router setting right so that anything that connects will be restricted.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
I understand...I will ask our PDS folks tomorrow if they have had any success with this and try to get back to you as well with a better answer.

Thenightman4

Did you forget about me?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
Nope...just don't have any answers yet. This may be something you have to use your own router for and bridge the modem. I'll post back when I have an update but it will likely not be today as I will be out of the office most of the day.

Thenightman4

You want to hear something stupid! I called brighthouse internet tech and spoke to two different techs and they both told me I wasn't allowed to log into my router/modem settings! The one tech told me there is no way I could have log into the settings because it's locked. He didn't believe me when I said I was. They wouldn't help me at all!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Thenightman4:

You want to hear something stupid! I called brighthouse internet tech and spoke to two different techs and they both told me I wasn't allowed to log into my router/modem settings! The one tech told me there is no way I could have log into the settings because it's locked. He didn't believe me when I said I was. They wouldn't help me at all!

Thank you for the information. I have your account data and will address these concerns. My apologies for the conflicting information.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
Please open a thread in our direct forums. I would like to have someone call you and step you through it

Thenightman4

Thanks! I opened up one in the direct forum

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Thenightman4
Nightman how did this end up?