Obviously he didn't.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I lurk.

A UPS would be a nice thing for him to have.

jayveeee
@cgocable.net

jayveeee

Anon

i bit the bullet and went with cogeco again, i rather pay a little more and know i can use it when i wanted, even tho i can say that iketel is cheap and afordable, but you pay for what you get, but its just not worth the time and bitching, Allan has a great idea, but its just not working out right now, i also dont want my comp running for 4 days to download a HD movie, and thats not using the internet for anything else during those 4 days, i could never watch a youtube video with out it buffering, even with 14mbs and 7mbs downgrade, my GF and i have iphones, if i was surfing on the comp she couldnt surf on her iphone, if i downloaded 4 350mb torrents at a time i could not even open up my browser. the problems go on and on and on.... but i tried it and left. and have a DCM425 to ...? LOL thats my rant

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Sell it on e-bay ?

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

He didn't have backup equipment?

iKTel has almost ZERO redundancy. No power backup, no bandwidth backup. He has a backup server but it's powered down all the time unless he needs it and then it requires manually moving cables, etc,...

And, no, they don't even have redundancy for their own internal communication. When they go down, they lose their own phone lines and ability to communicate by Internet. It's not like they couldn't have it - Cogeco has existing demarcs, residential and business accounts IN the building. They would make him a deal to do it as they made him a deal to run fiber directly from their building to his next door.
WiMax

WiMax to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I lurk.

A UPS would be a nice thing for him to have.

A UPS would not supply his requirements. He already needs a generator with all the gear that needs to be powered up to stay alive.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by WiMax:

A UPS would not supply his requirements. He already needs a generator with all the gear that needs to be powered up to stay alive.

He still needs a UPS good for a few minutes regardless of what he has, because generators don't come on instantly and start supplying power the moment the mains go dead. Having one before the generator would be, you know, a good start.

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax

He would need quite a few UPS's, not just one and even a large one would not last long. No point in him buying UPSs unless he can also get an external gen. There are gas gens (*ie nat, propane) that would work well for him that could startup and provide power in less than 15 seconds. Having said that, talked to him and he doesn't think that redundancy is that important. His attitude, "We never have power failures here, we don't need it." He also told me that there is no reason to have more than one bandwidth supplier. He either fell asleep during the lectures on systems security when doing his BSc Computer Science at Brock or he truly doesn't care. I don't have a degree, I've been in the business since 1979 and learned from the beginning - operating without redundancy is the formula for failure.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Trust me when I say I used to do work in a small little data centre in the Corbloc with several large virtualized servers, a Cisco router for the fibre drop and two redundant PIX boxes all running off a single 240v 5000va APC UPS sitting in a single 4U space in the bottom of one rack. It gave us more than enough time before the generator kicked in off the roof. The batteries in that thing were heavy sonsofbitches. I can't see Alan doing anything more extravagant than that based on the small size of his operation (that's not a dig at him, that's just the reality of the situation. Everyone's gotta start somewhere)

As for his claim that we don't get power failures. Well... clearly we do, haha.

UPSWouldHelp
@cgocable.net

UPSWouldHelp to WiMax

Anon

to WiMax
His DNS is Cogents (one in NYC one in DFW i think which is why CDNs are so slow), and he probably runs everything off 1 switch (customer and his internal network) which is what maybe 80w max?

A UPS of any size would be beneficial to atleast keeping his customers online, i guess he doesn't care enough which is why im sticking on cogeco they are atleast the lesser of 2 evils in this situation.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

I seriously doubt he can't run his internal setup on a moderate sized UPS for an hour or two.

At work I have 3 HP proliant DL380's, a Equallogic SAN (with 16 hard drives in it), 2 48 port switches, and some other minor appliances running off a Tripplite UPS, it's 5U (2U main unit, 3U extended battery), and I get 2.5 or so hours of life out of that, cost was under $2000.
I don't see how he could be sucking up more power providing internet than that. The customer critical equipment like his routers from Cogeco to to his external wan, switches, the asterisk phone server (I am assuming asterisk), and the like should be on a UPS. His web server doesn't need to be, we can live without his glorious website working for a couple hours

Cogeco is coming this aft to install, I had to reschedule my Sunday installation. Can't wait for internet to work properly.
AwolRJ1
join:2007-01-05
Niagara Falls, ON

AwolRJ1

At peak time!

Appears to be fixed guys! I am on 14 plan!

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

Oh Cogeco, you sweet sweet drug....

iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to AwolRJ1

to AwolRJ1
said by AwolRJ1:

At peak time!

Appears to be fixed guys! I am on 14 plan!

GREAT news!!!!
obigd
join:2011-10-24
Niagara Falls, ON

obigd

Just managed this @ 9:25PM

I am on the 16 Plan.

* Here's to hoping this is a permanent fix

Edit: It seems my LAN has fixed itself. My iDevices were only seeing half of the max speed since moving to Iktel. I just pulled a 14.89MB/s on my phone.
obigd

obigd

And this morning I get....

ANON_KJK
@brocku.ca

ANON_KJK

Anon

I had noticed since the outage saturday that my speeds have been advertised.

KJK