spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Disney Jr. The Channel

Disney Jr. The Channel is being launched. AFAICT it is not going to be available on WOW. It will be available on Comcast.

Anyone with children (my son loves Special Agent Oso and Jake and the Never Land Pirates) please join me in requesting that WOW add Disney Jr. The Channel. We've lost channels in the last year, it would be nice if they add a few.

»www.wowway.com/cable-tv-service/···channel/

prospector00

join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL

I am sympathetic of course to anyone with kids whose kids want to watch their favorite shows, but for all the people who complain about there being too many sports channels, have you ever counted how many kids channels there are??????

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Sometimes it's hard to classify a channel as truly for kids, meaning preschoolers. Or is it for elementary age, tweens, or even adults. I'm not sure where Disney Jr. The Channel will fall but I would think it would skew younger than Disney or Disney XD.

But I'll try, On Basic Cable:
Disney (a mix of all ages)
Disney XD (preschoolers, elementary and tweens)
Nickelodeon (more for tweens or adults at night)
Nicktoons (a mix)
ABC Family (tweens or adults)

On Signature:
Nick Jr. (preschool, elementrary)
Nick Teens (tweens)
PBS Sprout (truly the only channel for preschoolers)

I probably missed some and my classification may not be 100%. Without getting in to how much TV children should watch, considering where TV fits in for family entertainment I don't think eight channels geared toward kids is too many. And one more still won't make it excessive. But of course I have a child so I am biased.

prospector00

join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL

said by troubleagain :

Sometimes it's hard to classify a channel as truly for kids, meaning preschoolers. Or is it for elementary age, tweens, or even adults. I'm not sure where Disney Jr. The Channel will fall but I would think it would skew younger than Disney or Disney XD.

But I'll try, On Basic Cable:
Disney (a mix of all ages)
Disney XD (preschoolers, elementary and tweens)
Nickelodeon (more for tweens or adults at night)
Nicktoons (a mix)
ABC Family (tweens or adults)

On Signature:
Nick Jr. (preschool, elementrary)
Nick Teens (tweens)
PBS Sprout (truly the only channel for preschoolers)

I probably missed some and my classification may not be 100%. Without getting in to how much TV children should watch, considering where TV fits in for family entertainment I don't think eight channels geared toward kids is too many. And one more still won't make it excessive. But of course I have a child so I am biased.

I would also include Cartoon Network, The Hub, and Nick 2. I'm certainly not against adding this new Disney Channel, just speaking up for the sports fans who get lambasted on here whenever a new sports channel is suggested. (and I agree, there are a lot of those too)

By the way, it's nice to know the target ages for those networks you mentioned, when we have kids over I'm usually at a loss to find any of those channels!

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

I'd say:
Cartoon network (elementary, tweens, adults)
Nick 2 (reruns like Friends, maybe tweens and definitely adults)
Hub* (preschool, elementary)
* Thanks for mentioning this one. Relatively new to Signature so have never even watched it.

My son is almost 4 and we limit him to Sprout and Disney Jr. And of course regular PBS. I'm sure as he gets further in to school peer pressure will come in to play and he will want to watch some of the "older" networks/shows.

The two shows we let him watch on Disney will probably be on Disney Jr. channel so it would just make it simpler. We can also get most of the shows he watches on PPV.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to troubleagain

For as much as the Disney conglomerate charges for these channels in carriage fees, I'd honestly like to see them put in their own tier with a small charge, and save everyone else a buck or two on their bill. I'm all about adding more stations that everyone likes, and I realize that the whole "a la carte" thing isn't going to ever materialize, but I don't have kids, and the only channel that I watch of all those mentioned is Cartoon Network, for a small selection of Adult Swim. I've got a feeling a lot of other people feel the same way, not unlike the sports peeps who want all of the tons of channels, but how others don't really feel the need to pay for ESPN8.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

I guess it comes down to what someone expects from cable television.

If someone subscribes to cable, besides getting better reception I imagine they want stations that they consider entertaining and that they would watch. For some that is sports, others it is nature shows, for others that is family programming. Despite the changes in our society families (or pseudo families) still are a major part of the American culture. Children are still being born every second.

So a family who prefers to watch family programs should have to pay a surcharge? Sorry but I can't agree with that. If it goes that way then make the person who likes horror movies pay for Chiller (we never watch it). Or the person who likes nature programs pay for National Geographic (watch occasionally). Make the entire line up a la carte.

I guess my feeling is cable TV needs to provide a spectrum of programming and since families and sports are two major components of our culture of course they would probably be fairly represented.

timf

join:2012-01-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to troubleagain

WOW already carries the channel that will be used for Disney Jr., SOAP Net. They have not announced any plans to drop this channel as of now, so I would expect to find Disney Jr. in Digital Signature once it launches.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to troubleagain

said by troubleagain :

If it goes that way then make the person who likes horror movies pay for Chiller (we never watch it). Or the person who likes nature programs pay for National Geographic (watch occasionally). Make the entire line up a la carte.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's impossible to suggest that there would be a wholely a la carte option, but put it in blocks. Kids/family block, sports block, movies, etc. Obviously there would be a core programming block to start from, but that would be generic stuff like USA, WGN, etc. From there you add in your Disney block (they've got enough stations to make one), a kids/family (the Nicks, ABC Family, etc), sports (ESPN 1-?, FSN, etc), and so on.

Yeah, I get that a lot of people have kids, but I don't. I get that a lot of people like sports, but I don't. But how many people that DO have kids or watch sports would be satisfied by what's on PBS or broadcast sports? Or for that matter, would be happier reducing the cost of their bill and letting go of the extra programming? My mom and dad don't have any kids or grandkids that would watch cartoons or children's programming, but they do watch hockey, so they'd probably opt for the sports package. But they may be happy enough with what they might get on the core package to get by without paying a couple extra bucks.

I realize it's not something that's ever going to happen, but it would be nice if people had a little more control over what they paid for. You shouldn't be charged extra because I want HDNET to watch international fights, and I shouldn't be charged extra because you want Disney stations for your kids.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to timf

said by timf:

WOW already carries the channel that will be used for Disney Jr., SOAP Net. They have not announced any plans to drop this channel as of now, so I would expect to find Disney Jr. in Digital Signature once it launches.

When I used the tool on their site to see if it would be offered it said no for WOW. Yes for Comcast. In my area. Hope you're right and we just don't lose another channel without it being replaced with something.

»www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/?···nder.net

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Big Jimmy

said by Big Jimmy :

I realize it's not something that's ever going to happen, but it would be nice if people had a little more control over what they paid for. You shouldn't be charged extra because I want HDNET to watch international fights, and I shouldn't be charged extra because you want Disney stations for your kids.

I'm not up to date on the a la carte debate but I think you're right. Probably not going to happen.

kidsongs

@verizon.net

I have 2 kids toddlers and TV is a blessing I sit them in front of nick Jr. and they are entertained ALL DAY I only check on them ever hour and a half and I can get done what I need to around the house. It saves money on books and toys.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by kidsongs :

I have 2 kids toddlers and TV is a blessing I sit them in front of nick Jr. and they are entertained ALL DAY I only check on them ever hour and a half and I can get done what I need to around the house. It saves money on books and toys.

I highly recommend Sprout (it's a PBS product) if you have Digital TV Signature. If not you can find portions of it On Demand. Also until (hopefully) WOW adds Disney Junior you can find many of their preschool geared shows On Demand (under Disney) as well.

My son (almost 4) has yet to watch Nick. I haven't found anything worth viewing on that channel. A recent study showed Sponge Bob and similar fast paced shows have an adverse effect on development.

Regardless of what he watches we try to limit it to two hours. As he is getting older that is getting more difficult.

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

Oops. I think I was mixing up Nick and Nick Jr. My son has seen some of those shows but mostly on DVD. Love the The Wonder Pets! Give Sprout a try too.