uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Wireless/Wired Router and Cable Modem -Speed Slowdown?

I read in another thread to bypass the router when making a internet speed check. Also some mentioned a software firewall could slow down the speed tests.

I am a soon to be Mediacom Internet customer, I have my own cable modem. I used to use an old Linksys WRT54GS wireless router which I still have. It is a rugged reliable router BUT it does not have 802.11N. My DSl modem has a built-in router with 802.11N and it has much better range/coverage than the old Linksys. I have turned off the builtin wireless in the DSl modem and hooked up the WRT54GS to the DSL modem. Many many tests and no question the builtin 802.11N is better.

My question is: I want to buy a new wireless Router for my cable modem. What should I look for? I want 802.11N. I only use wireless for for my wife's laptop and my Kindle Fire and Itouch. The main computer is Ethernet connected and I have a Cisco Powerline router going to my TV system.

I have read many many customer and magazine reviews on wireless routers and there seems to be vendettas against router companys. Some say Netgear sucks, then another guy says Netgear rules, same for Cicsco Linksys etc.

Do all routers slow down the internet speed or just certain models/brands? What kind of slowdown are we talking about? Since even cheap routers are much faster than the modems (12mbps service) speed, how do the routers slow down anything? I understand how a wireless connection could slow down but the Ethernet ports should not slowdown speed? Wrong or right?

CR_Client

join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

Routers can slow down speeds if they have all sorts of internal routing checks and services running to manage traffic within themselves, and the length of a patch cord, the quality of a patch cord, and the settings on a particular port and its connected device can cause issues, as was seen in a number of early Windows 7 and Windows Vista installs (not matching duplex settings, some duplex settings being faulty, etc).

Keep in mind that even the fastest wireless speeds on a router are still shared by all wireless connections, so an 802.11g router, while capable of speeds "up to" 54 Mb/s, is aggregate over all wireless connections to the device. So 3 devices would see anywhere from 0-18 or 18-54 Mb/s speeds each. Real life transmissions, even within the LAN, rarely actually achieve a 54 Mb/s speed due to signal processing overhead.

Add in some faulty memory chips, bad firmware, tiny buffers, etc., and a router can cause all sorts of havoc to a network and its associated connections.
--
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Albert Einstein

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

I think what I am try find out is if all router ports are idle, except the Ethernet port going to the main computer, will the internet speed test suffer because it is going thru the router? Would the speed test be faster going direct to the modem, and if faster, to what degree?

It is not something I have ever worried or thought about. I have to have a router, I have too many devices needing internet. I am only wondering about this subject because I am in the market for a new router.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

I am very happy with my netgear wndr4500. of course it is top of the line model so not everyone may need it.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Anonymous:

I am very happy with my netgear wndr4500. of course it is top of the line model so not everyone may need it.

That is one I was looking at, but all the negative reviews on Amazon discouraged me Then I looked at the Netgear WNDR3800 and I saw the same thing. I checked out other brands and saw the same thing. Lots of good reviews and lots of negative reviews. I think it might just be better not to look at router reviews.

I think I am going to buy the WNDR3800 because it has a very pretty case... :>

Riverpilot

join:2006-12-11
Davenport, IA

I have the netgear wndr3700. Has worked well over the last few years. I did have to use the beta firmware on the netgear site for best performance.

:shrug: Everybody has a favorite. lol

CR_Client

join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to Lazy Senior

said by Lazy Senior:

I think what I am try find out is if all router ports are idle, except the Ethernet port going to the main computer, will the internet speed test suffer because it is going thru the router? Would the speed test be faster going direct to the modem, and if faster, to what degree?

It is not something I have ever worried or thought about. I have to have a router, I have too many devices needing internet. I am only wondering about this subject because I am in the market for a new router.

Depends on the router. The routing tables, even with only a single computer connected, can still get overwhelmed and flooded and require a reboot of the router if it gets bad enough.

The primary reason people are told to remove their router from the chain when they test is because it eliminates one of may potential points of failure and bottlenecking, and will ultimately provide a more realistic picture of the speed of their connection than if the router and other items are left in the picture.
--
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Albert Einstein

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by CR_Client:

The primary reason people are told to remove their router from the chain when they test is because it eliminates one of may potential points of failure and bottlenecking, and will ultimately provide a more realistic picture of the speed of their connection than if the router and other items are left in the picture.

I got Mediacom Internet installed yesterday. I have made several tests with and without router. I can detect no difference in speed. This is with an ancient WRT54GS router...

Tch65

join:2012-02-09
reply to Lazy Senior

If your router dies Mediacom offers a wireless modem the extra cost for a home network is I think is $2.95 above the cost of the modem. I've installed many and have had no trouble with them, they come with 4 ports to hard wire other computers.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
reply to Lazy Senior

I personally use a high end Cisco (Not Linksys) 800 Series router with a 802.11N Access Point attached. I also have an Linksys WRT54G cheapy router. The wired part usually doesn't have any speed test issues. It can run as fast as my wired connection through my Cisco Router. As long as you are doing simple NAT/PAT translation for home use, you won't really notice too much. But if you are doing any sort of advanced NAT/PAT or anything a long those lines. The Linksys/Netgears/etc. are so limited in the abilities do much.

As for the wireless, you have an have an 802.11N device, but does it dual broadcast B and G? Remember, that any device that uses B or G wireless those are at HALF duplex speeds. N is a full duplex technology so you will naturally have better speeds over N. Example, I just upgraded from a G to an N access point. My wireless speeds went from never going over 8 Mbps on speed test servers to 25+ Mbps. Simply by switching from half to full duplex.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by ZC_217:

As for the wireless, you have an have an 802.11N device, but does it dual broadcast B and G? Remember, that any device that uses B or G wireless those are at HALF duplex speeds.

My ancient router is NOT 802.11N, only G. Which is why I started this thread, to get info and recommends on a router that will not slow down the modems speed to the computer.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Lazy Senior:

said by ZC_217:

As for the wireless, you have an have an 802.11N device, but does it dual broadcast B and G? Remember, that any device that uses B or G wireless those are at HALF duplex speeds.

My ancient router is NOT 802.11N, only G. Which is why I started this thread, to get info and recommends on a router that will not slow down the modems speed to the computer.

The Belkin F7D7301 is a great router. gigabit ethernet/ wireless n/ 2 usb ports.