All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jruss65
join:2012-02-12
Peoria, IL

jruss65

Comcast Cable run to an exsiting property.

I am investigating switching to Comcast for only their high speed internet package. The house I live in has never had cable ran to it and so will need to have a cable installed from the utility pole or service point to the house. I went to the local office to inquire on cost and install process, they stated the install is a flat fee of $29. I reiterated to them that no cable is ran, they said a flat fee of $29. I called Comcast service department and they said the same.

I am little concerned that this information I received is not right as I have looked through the website here and found other posts, in relation to new construction, that a site surveyor must be contacted, and the cost to bury the line can be $1000. Or do they just wrap the line around the power line to the house, don't think that would work though. Obviously $29 would be great, but just want to make sure, before I sign up. I am looking for any feed back on if this sounds correct?

Details:
The house I live in is an older house not new construction. It has never had a cable ran from the utility pole/cable company service point to the house. The only wire currently ran to the house is a standard phone line. The phone line is buried underground and comes into the basement of the house and assume it runs to the utility pole behind my house. Power line is ran from utility pole above ground to roof of house. The approximate length from the utility pole to my house is 70 feet. My service area is Peoria, IL 61604.

Thanks,
Jruss

goofy01
join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN

goofy01

Do any of your neighbor's have Comcast? Those other post talk about Comcast not even having run main lines to those properties and that is what raises the cost. If Comcast is already on the utility pole behind your house, they will just have to run one line from the tap to your house, probably near, but not around the power lines. To do that is a normal install.

cpayne5
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06

cpayne5 to jruss65

Premium Member

to jruss65
If Comcast can provide service from that pole 70' away, then the install will be the quoted $29.

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to jruss65

to jruss65
The drop is not wrapped around the power lines, it is run in parallel with it's own attachment to the home. The only way to know if you can get installed without additional construction is to schedule the install and get a tech out.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to jruss65

to jruss65
I've never heard of Comcast charging to install a drop from the pole/pedestal to the house. They didn't charge us one penny when they installed a new drop for our business class service at our business.

Ebolla
join:2005-09-28
Dracut, MA

Ebolla to jruss65

to jruss65
Less than 200 feet and it will be what they quoted you for install, over 200 feet and you may have to pay. The times you see the cost of 1k+ is normally people more than 300 feet from road or closest street run.
jruss65
join:2012-02-12
Peoria, IL

jruss65

All, thanks for the quick replies. My house is in an older neighborhood and a few of my neighbors do currently have Comcast. This sounds like just a normal install then and when the tech comes out I will discuss with them if any other install work will be required. Again thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,
Jruss
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to jruss65

to jruss65
The only other fee you might see would be for a custom install if you are having a wallfish done.
If there are no cable outlets in the house the line will either be wrapped around the outside of the house or drilled down into a crawlspace.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to GusHerb

Premium Member

to GusHerb
probably figured they make it back on the higher monthly fees.